Non-motoring > Google Earth Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 7

Google Earth - Ted

Recent attempts to show Google Earth have been less than satisfactory. I can easily get the map and also Streetview but Earth just comes up as a plain black background with the streets/roads and place names in white. No other detail is shown although the zoom still works.

I was looking for the site of the disabled spaces on the car park of a fairly big complex I have to go to tomorrow. The Streetview car didn't go on there.

Anyone else had this happen ?
 Google Earth - No FM2R
Just tried it, all seems to be working fine as far as I can tell.
 Google Earth - Zero
Working fine for me, currently using it to try and work out places where Bittern and the Duchess will pass one another next Saturday!

I suggest you delete it and reinstall it Ted.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 00:27
 Google Earth - Manatee
Have you tried the "satellite" view in Google maps? Or Bing maps, they don't always use the same aerial photography.
 Google Earth - Zero
the aerial imagery inn Bing maps is almost always vastly inferior to that found in Google earth, both resolution and and age,
 Google Earth - Ted
Thanks for the tips.

Satellite came on this morning...clicking it from map view. It wouldn't zoom but a ghost image zoomed showing the ' unzoomed ' image still there. Strange. It went back to black when I went back to ' map ' and tried again.

Anyway, I've re-installed it, as Z suggested, and the new installation seems to work ok.
 Google Earth - Manatee
>> the aerial imagery inn Bing maps is almost always vastly inferior to that found in
>> Google earth, both resolution and and age,

For where I am, the Google one is sharper and the Bing one is more recent - if I am doing a recce I usually look at both.
 Google Earth - Zero
I just did a quick check. With Bing I can't tell the date of the sat imagery of my place because it has no date, and its zoom resolution is too blurry to even see what cars I have on my drive apart from very rough colour, resolution is so bad can't even judge shape or size - I think the touran is on my drive, and the clio - makes it 2006/7

With google earth it has the exact date of imagery, changing even when you zoom in and it employs a different image source.

I checked a site that I got caught out with on GE, the bing imagery was just as out of date.

I take your point tho, a second check with bing can't hurt, but its certainly a poor relation.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 12:58
Latest Forum Posts