Non-motoring > Bath paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 12

Bath paint - J Bonington Jagworth
Has anyone painted (or, as they now say, re-surfaced) a bath? I did one about 30 years ago and it worked surprisingly well (the then Mrs JBJ was even more surprised) but I don't recall where I got it and even the kits on fleabay are nearly £60, when the 'active ingredient' is a small tin of epoxy enamel.

I'm tempted to buy a tin a epoxy floor paint, but I thought I should run it past the assembled company - I'm sure someone here will have an opinion! :-)

TIA, as ever.
 Bath paint - Armel Coussine
Ever read 'The Diary of a Nobody' by the Grossmith brothers? Mr Pooter paints the bath red, with embarrassing results.
 Bath paint - Cliff Pope
You get what you pay for.

DIY bath paint lasts a couple of years. £50
In-situ re-coating by professional bath restorers - maybe 10 years. £400
Proper re-enamelling - send the bath to a company that strips off all the old enamel and refires it as new - may be 50 years. £800
"In-situ re-coating"

That is the main reason. It's not for me, but for a neighbour, for whom I do odd DIY jobs. I think my original one lasted over ten years and I'm not sure what a professional restorer might use that would last better than epoxy. Good preparation is essential, I realise.

It would need to be a bit special to re-fire the enamel, I think!
It's a nice story, but I think that even in the 19th century, most paints would have had some degree of water-resistance...

I remember Jack Hargreaves describing the home-brewed linseed-oil based paints of his youth, which had to be renewed fairly regularly, but which deteriorated gracefully and so were easy to remove.
 Bath paint - Harleyman
Many years ago, I rented a room in a shared house in Derby; Abdul, the landlord (yes it was his real name) was a very nice guy but reluctant to part with any brass for repairs unless it was essential.

The cast iron bath was quite old and having been scoured with Vim or whatever for years, was a bit like sitting on a sheet of sandpaper and an absolute sod to keep clean. We pestered Abdul until he gave in, and i came home one day to find a nice shiny white bath.

Unfortunately, one of his mates had told him that because the bath was enamel, it could be re-painted with that. He used radiator paint on the premise that like baths they got hot. Predictably, it all came off within a couple of days.
 Bath paint - Robin O'Reliant
I'd just buy a new plastic bath.
 Bath paint - legacylad
The bath in my house has been used for it's intended purpose only three times, at most, in the 13 years I have lived here. Strange how habits change, but I only ever use a bath now after a hard days skiing, if one is available as often one is not. Even then I prefer a hot tub to a bath any day. Sharing a bath with ones hosts, whilst drinking margeritas and smoking stuff is not really acceptable.
I have often considered taking the bath out, replacing with a large walk in shower, but worry about how it would affect the saleability of my home, which I expect to sell in the next few years.
 Bath paint - Boxsterboy
Yes it's an odd one, LL. Like many these days I never have a bath, but would baulk at buying a house with just a shower.
 Bath paint - CGNorwich
But where would you keep the coal?
 Bath paint - rtj70
>> But where would you keep the coal?

In the cellar?
 Bath paint - Bromptonaut
>> I have often considered taking the bath out, replacing with a large walk in shower,
>> but worry about how it would affect the saleability of my home, which I expect
>> to sell in the next few years.)

I'd have that concern too. My Mother (88) has had her bath removed and a large shower fitted suitable for her limited mobility and need for a carer to assist her showering. When we were kids and up to onset of the cerebral insufficiency that led to her bad fall a daily soak was part of her routine.

If we were to sell market would be either elderly but reasonably fit (as she was when moving in) or a double income no kids young couple. Both may find absence of a bath at least a slight negative.
Thanks, guys - I'll let you know how I get on... :-)
Latest Forum Posts