Non-motoring > WH Smith - excellent customer service. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 57

WH Smith - excellent customer service. - R.P.
My wallet got nicked a couple of months ago. One of the seemingly irreplaceable items within was a £25.00 WH Smith gift-card. A few weeks ago I found the till receipt for it safely kept elsewhere....last Thursday I phoned their customer service. They took all the information from the receipt and told me they'd look into it. This morning's post bought a freshly minted £25.00 gift card from Smiths. Pretty good service from a store I've patronised most of my life. I'll certainly be going back.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Zero

>> I've patronised most of my life. I'll certainly be going back.

Yep I have read many a mag in Smiths, Never bought a single one tho. I wonder how they survive.
A school friend used to whip copies of H&E from there....! He's sort of well known now (in a good way)
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - CGNorwich
Ah you're that annoying fat bloke who's stands in the way when I'm trying to reach the stuff in plastic wrappers on the top shelf.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - bathtub tom
Did they tell you if the gift card had been redeemed?

If not, I presume the scrote had your cash and dumped everything else.

Tell us more how the wallet was nicked, I'm sure it could help us all to protect ourselves?
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Fursty Ferret
>> Ah you're that annoying fat bloke who's stands in the way when I'm trying to
>> reach the stuff in plastic wrappers on the top shelf.
>>

I get magazines for free on my iPad from the local library but feel so guilty about it I still buy MBR every month in the local WH Smiths. Bought a Kobo eReader there too with excellent service, they didn't have the colour I wanted but the manager ferried it over from another store on her way into work the next day.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Thu 20 Nov 14 at 23:35
Well it was not redeemed - that actually reduces the conspiracy theory in its disappearance to co-ck - up. Been to Betws y Coed with my wife for an afternoon run. Popped into a cafe for a brew (a regular stop off for many a breakfast/lunch for years) paid for the brew in cash. Left walllet on the table. (rather desirable/distinctive little item in itself). There was no money in it only cards. Went home didn't realise it was MIA until the next day. Searched high and low for it no sign. Come 4pm cancelled all the cards....phoned the shops we'd been in as an after thought, when I got to the cafe - they told me they;d found it and put it to one side. Rode over to collect it - they couldn't find it. Went back the next day to double check with staff that had just come on duty...no sign Phoned the fuel company whose card I had in the wallet - they said they needed a crime reference...phoned cops, who actually identified its disappearance as a "crime" (see recent HMI audit on NWP who scored 94% in this sort of thing) they launch investigation. Bank/Credit cards replaced - gutted about loss of wallet value £50.00 and Smiths' card. Police investigating came to same conclusions as me. That a staff member had nicked it or as it was so small (Bellroy brand) it had been accidentally thrown. No subsequent activity on any of the cards including the Smiths one as it turns out. Top service from NWP and all the banks involved not so good from the cafe which neither I and some of my friends will patronise again.

Considered a surly report on Trip Advisor...but I'm not like that.

Tips

Leave a set of debit cards/credit cards at home (if you have more than one account) - immeasurably handy

Carry as little cash as possible

Use a cheap wallet (replacement was 17 quid)

Leave some form of contact in your wallet - I now have a work business card in mine
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 08:42
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - MD
Under no circs use a wallet. keep it folded with cards in middle in front pocket only adjacent to todger.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - WillDeBeest
Just be careful what you pull out and slap on the Oyster card reader. Some things are best left contactless.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - rtj70
>> Tips.... Leave a set of debit cards/credit cards at home (if you have more than one account) -
>> immeasurably handy

Something handy with an account at Barclays - branches can issue a replacement card whilst you wait. If you had a personalised card with a picture on it then you won't get that without ordering again but it's a quick way to get a card again.

And a tip for Oyster card users - don't do what a colleague did... put it into the slot for tickets :-) Machine had to be opened to get his Oyster card out.
A: >>(a regular stop off for many a breakfast/lunch for years)
B: >>Police investigating came to same conclusions as me. That a staff member had nicked it

I guess A+B = -A from now on.

Should I Trip Advise my experience ? Always the awkward one. I spoke to the perfectly decent owner of the place....she was very concerned and it feels wrong to sprag the joint.
>> Should I Trip Advise my experience ? Always the awkward one. I spoke to the
>> perfectly decent owner of the place....she was very concerned and it feels wrong to sprag
>> the joint.

If the owner didn't give a rats then yes, finger them, but no I wouldn't as the owner is genuinely contrite and upset.

However I wouldn't go back knowing the person serving me could be a nasty little tea leaf.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Cliff Pope
>>
>> I wonder how they survive.
>>

Still surviving, still awful sevice.
Our local one usually has long queues for the single harassed cashier.
Some while ago they introduced an honesty box for people who only wanted to buy papers and magazines. They stopped that, they said because of dishonesty.

Now they have two auto-checkouts. To help all the old folk who can't operate them they have a cashier permanently stationed to help customers. So now there are queues for the auto-checkout and the remaining manned till.

I give W H Smug a miss as much as possible. I like to read my paper back at my office desk, not in the queue waiting to pay for it.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Clk Sec
>> To help all the old folk who can't operate them

Many of whom don't operate them because they don't want to operate them. Not because they can't.
I find much the same at the smaller Asda store I go to for my lunch. There is one permanently staffed check out, the other works "on demand" there are four self checkouts which is where I head for, one of these is "cards only" which is my primary choice (as it avoids women - mainly - searching for coins in the nether regions of cavernous bags or stuffed purses, not like chaps are they ? :-) ) the, excellent, staff rarely have to tutor luddites on the use of the auto check-outs. They're not difficult to understand and I really don't get why people seem to prefer queuing with single or very low numbers of item.

The staff at this branch are one off - including one with I would say slight "difficulties"....they are a one off by the way !
The, excellent, staff rarely have to tutor luddites on the use of the auto check-outs. They're not difficult to understand...

...even though they're Welsh?
};---)
>> The, excellent, staff rarely have to tutor luddites on the use of the auto check-outs.
>> They're not difficult to understand...

>>
>> ...even though they're Welsh?
>> };---)

Eitem annisgwyl yn yr ardal bagio
Exactly - "A Leek" on this occasion !
I don't get self-checkout. Yes, I'll do it at Tesco if it's the one without the queue and I have a £1 container of milk in one hand and a pound coin in the other; nothing to go wrong.

But with every additional item in the basket, the probability that something will go wrong increases rapidly. If we assume one item in ten doesn't scan right, then by the time you have seven you're more likely to have a problem than not. And then you'll have to wait for the checkout elf to examine your large cucumber and Preparation H and wave them about a bit before entering the codes by hand.

So much quicker, in most cases, to go to the person who's trained to operate the kit in the first place.
>> I don't get self-checkout.

I get it, I really do, its a natural extension of POS technology, and could be a customer boon - The implementation is however poor.

...its a natural extension of POS technology...

That, for the uninitiated, is 'Point of Sale', although the other one could also apply.

And I sort of agree, Z. But it's a bit like the winter tyres argument: you have the right kit and/or knowledge, but your progress will be only as quick as the person in front who doesn't. So never queue for self-service; it's bound to take longer than queueing for a proper checkout.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - sooty123
>> ...its a natural extension of POS technology...
>>
>> That, for the uninitiated, is 'Point of Sale', although the other one could also apply.
>>

I did think he meant piece of scheess at first, I tend not to use them too much. But they do seem to get confused easily if you have a couple of items and/or quite light items. Please place item...unexpected item in bagging area, it goes on then the whole jams up and you have to wait for someone to swipe it through.

I'm surprised the big supermarkets haven't put more effort into getting the software. It can't be beyond the wit of man?
>> I'm surprised the big supermarkets haven't put more effort into getting the software. It can't
>> be beyond the wit of man?

The software is fine, the hardware is great. The "bagging area" thing is something dumped onto the IT and customer service directors by the Finance director. He is obsessed by shrinkage, and is convinced self service is a tea leaves charter. He thinks the bagging area weighing stuff is shrinkage prevention.

I went on a supermarket security course once. The terms used are fantastic. Grazing, Sweathearting, stuffing!
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 13:06
We popped into a Walmart in Boston last summer...they (understandably) have exactly the same machines as Asda....there seemed to be a reluctance to use them. I will use the self service option anytime I can. Saves human interaction.
>> We popped into a Walmart in Boston last summer...they (understandably) have exactly the same machines
>> as Asda....there seemed to be a reluctance to use them. I will use the self
>> service option anytime I can. Saves human interaction.

There are fundamental things about it which is not explained by the retailer.

For example, Booze. By law you can't check out booze on these things - it has to be authorised. How many people know that? ok you find out after using it 10 times that the red light will come on every time it sniffs booze. Why not a sign entering the area "No Alcohol"? (or in Walmart US's case "No Guns")
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 13:18
>> >> I'm surprised the big supermarkets haven't put more effort into getting the software. It
>> can't
>> >> be beyond the wit of man?
>>
>> The software is fine, the hardware is great. The "bagging area" thing is something dumped
>> onto the IT and customer service directors by the Finance director. He is obsessed by
>> shrinkage, and is convinced self service is a tea leaves charter. He thinks the bagging
>> area weighing stuff is shrinkage prevention.
>>
>> I went on a supermarket security course once. The terms used are fantastic. Grazing, Sweathearting,
>> stuffing!
>>

Thanks I wondered why it was so poor in the bagging area.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Bromptonaut
>> Now they have two auto-checkouts. To help all the old folk who can't operate them
>> they have a cashier permanently stationed to help customers. So now there are queues for
>> the auto-checkout and the remaining manned till.

The auto checkouts are also slow because each transaction includes an invitation to buy special offer chocolate and offer of a carrier bag at cost of 1p. PITA if all you want is a magazine or newspaper, you've got the right change and are familiar enough with the machine to use it really quickly.

But at least the voice prompts are at a sensible tone/pitch - unlike the bossy and abrupt Madam on B&Q's auto tills.
You should here the Welsh language one....I use it just to break the monotony of life !
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Roger.
I must say that I prefer the ALDI system - have your items checked at warp factor 10, chuck 'em in the trolley as fast as you can , any old how and pack at leisure at the provided counters.
Works for us. with the benefit that it is easy to aggregate like items, such as veg or frozen stuff.
Waiting impatiently at a Tesco/Sainsbury's checkout for ponderous scanning, partially assisted packing, loadsa coupons being exchanged and a previous customer's chat with the cashier is so yesterday!
>> I must say that I prefer the ALDI system - have your items checked at
>> warp factor 10, chuck 'em in the trolley as fast as you can , any
>> old how and pack at leisure at the provided counters.
>> Works for us.

Don't work for me, Its not a system designed for the customer, its a matter of cost. Even so Aldi has too few checkouts and too few staff to open those that are not. If wish to guarantee queues anywhere, its Aldi.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Nov 14 at 13:27
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Roger.
There are 6 tills at our local ALDI: usually 1 or 2 in action and invariably they will open up to the maximum of 6, if customer numbers demand it. Queuing time is very reasonable.
Perhaps we just have good management locally.
OTH our local Sainsbury's has around 15 tills and only maximum of four seem ever to be open. The "baskets only" till is never open. Locally, Tesco, while it is a dreadful dump, is slightly better.
>> There are 6 tills at our local ALDI: usually 1 or 2 in action and
>> invariably they will open up to the maximum of 6, if customer numbers demand it.
>> Queuing time is very reasonable.

My local Aldi doesn't have 6 staff.
>> I must say that I prefer the ALDI system -

I shop there and at Lidl, I can't make my mind up if it is faster. Not really noticed any big difference, but then we don't shop at busy times. So rarely more than one in front person in front of me.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Runfer D'Hills
I try to avoid supermarkets and now that my wife has been able to resume her responsibilities in that department I may never have to go into one again. However, in recent months I've taken a view of them and decided not to use the self checkouts primarily on the basis of social consciousness and the preservation of jobs. Nothing at all to do with not knowing how to work them of course...

;-)
>> decided not to use the self checkouts primarily on the basis of social consciousness and the preservation of jobs. Nothing at all to do with not knowing how to work them<<

Spot on!
Our local Asda (as opposed to the one I originally mentioned) is awful, I used to quip that it was used as a set for Shaun of the Dead....I have now updated and upgraded this to the "set of the Walking Dead"
I think it was Tooslow ( whatever happened to him? ) who used to refer to "Dr Morrison's Island" in terms of it being a thinly disguised experimental community.
:-)....instant upgrade for Asda Llangefni...!
>> ( whatever happened to him? )

That was John. Came across as a very nice chap. I asked VXFan to email him a while back, which he did, but there was no response.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - NortonES2
Is Asda Llangefni infamous for some reason? Just that we have some friends who recently moved there and we are supposed to be trecking over at some point.
It's just awful - that's all. Too hoodies on one of my first visits there helped themselves to a large bag of frozen chips and left the place - unchallenged.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Fursty Ferret
Although....

"In the interest of saving the environment we charge 5p for our bags. This won't stop us printing half a tree in till roll containing "special offers" which you won't use. If you do try to use them you'll discover that they'll mysteriously expire the day before you come into the store."

Like most chains, a good workforce and proactive management hamstrung by morons at head office.
In the "old days" a visit to the nice little branch in Windermere was compulsory first day of a Lakes break for holiday reads...
I remember we compulsorily had to go somewhere to buy Kendal Mint Cake in Ambleside before walking up a fell. Apparently you would die on the hill if you didn't have some. And a Kagoul of course, you needed a Kagoul.

Thus equipped, you could safely go anywhere.
Even in Crocs.
Fortunately they hadn't been invented then, but a pair of Adidas Sambas were seen as more than apt.

Interestingly we didn't die, so it must have worked.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Ted

You will one day....probably. So KMC hasn't been too useful in the longer term !
or even a cagoule ;-)
I always used to get them confused with kazoos but they are disappointingly simple musical instruments and of limited use in a Lake District rainstorm.

I was at one time though able to render a reasonable cover of the Benny Hill theme on one.

How do you spell the similar sounding raincoat anyway? Just in case it ever becomes necessary to know you understand...

;-)
Kangol make cagoules although not kazoos.

Perhaps they should have that missed opportunity pointed out to them.

I've just checked by the way, and my wife has a garment with "Kagoul" written on it which she uses for dog walking. It may well be a Chinese copy of course, but it's definitely spelled that way on her coat.

I could do Benny Hill on a comb and paper too you know. Less convincingly of course.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 22 Nov 14 at 13:56
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Duncan
Please don't rush me.

I am still trying to get my head round the idea of the name "WH Smith" and the words "excellent customer service", appearing in close proximity to each other?

Whenever I go into Smiths, I get the impression that it is a company that can't wait to roll over and die. Limited, over-priced stock, disinterested staff, all of whom are barely concealing yawns, and the carp vouchers that they give out every time I go in for my copy of Right Wingers Daily!

I am sure that if it wasn't for their wholesale newspaper business, they would have folded yonks ago.
Cagoule from the French, meaning cowl. Also a pre war fascist organisation. I love Google.
 WH Smith - excellent customer service. - Slidingpillar
Ah, Lake District, my claim to fame that one. Went up Helvelyn with 20, came down with 23 as we met a party who could not read a map. From what I recall, sartorially they were ok (a lot of mountain rescue customers aren't) but seriously lacking in the cartographic department.

Conditions on the tops were poor, about 10 feet visability which was not the case in the weather reports before we started.
>> Ah, Lake District, my claim to fame that one. Went up Helvelyn with 20, came
>> down with 23 as we met a party who could not read a map. From
>> what I recall, sartorially they were ok (a lot of mountain rescue customers aren't) but
>> seriously lacking in the cartographic department.

I've met similar with no guide or just a dog-eared Wainwright. A map is no use alone either unless you're somewhere like Causey Pike where there's only one route on/off. Any hint of lack of features, vast flat tops like Robinson, and unless you've got a compass and know how to use it - if only to maintain a steady course - you're jiggered.

Even now, with GPS, sensible walkers will have a 1:25000 map and be aware of their position on it.
And GPS' and mobiles have batteries that die (along with their owners in at least one case around here recently.) A mobile is useful so that RAF's night vision goggles can spot you. Damned Lemmings.
>> And GPS' and mobiles have batteries that die (along with their owners in at least
>> one case around here recently.) A mobile is useful so that RAF's night vision goggles
>> can spot you. Damned Lemmings.

Another reason to have a GPS that takes ordinary alkaline batteries rather than needing frequent feeds from a USB nipple.
Latest Forum Posts