Non-motoring > BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 50

BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - No FM2R
Does anybody know, or know how to find out, what the Record of the Week was during the week just finished, that my daughter would have listened to just before Pop Master on Ken Bruce?

I have googled unsuccesfully.

The one record quoted at the moment as RotW is Real Hope, by Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott but I think that must be for the week coming because its not the track she wants..

Due to time differences the quiz is on during our school run, so we all sit in the car failing miserably - I think our record score ever is only low 20s and normally we're just chuffed with double figures. Sad, I know.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 02:27
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Pat
It may have been this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKvRjWKCsW0

The album of the week was by Saint Motel and he played various tracks all week. I think the one in the video was played on Friday.

Pat
It wasn't that one, Pat. But thanks because I've now listened to that and discover I like it also.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Zero
Fridays Ken Bruce on iPlayer.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nhjtg

You might even do better on pop master this time round

BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - R.P.
Ping him an e-mail - I'm sure his staff will tell you.
Ask him for a signed photo. For your daughter of course.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - BiggerBadderDave
"Ask him for a signed photo."

A few shots of Ken Bruce without his hat on.

tinyurl.com/knepuz4
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - PhilW
I'm pretty sure it was Joe Bonamassa "Different shades of blue"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-CTdeRk2s

He has also done some brilliant sessions for Paul Jones Blues Show on Radio 2 Monday evenings 7pm.
Google Joe Bonamassa Pauls Jones radio2

www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=joe+bonamassa+paul+jones+radio+2

Phil
Thank you Phil.

I was about to go with the email suggestion, obvious when you think about it, but your answer was correct and allowed me to remain respected in the eyes of a 12 yr old. My gratitude knows no bounds.

Also, I rather like the music. And then I investigated the Paul Jones Blues Show, which it turns out I also like. So have yourself a virtual pint with my thanks.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - PhilW

"have yourself a virtual pint with my thanks"

Cheers NoFM!
Last edited by: PhilW on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 18:03
>> Ask him for a signed photo. For your daughter of course.

I have no interest in how he looks, but I have to say that I find him and Simon Mayo to be the two most listenable people on R2.

Not challenging perhaps, but relaxing, interesting, inoffensive and pleasant.
>> >> Ask him for a signed photo. For your daughter of course.
>>
>> I have no interest in how he looks, but I have to say that I
>> find him and Simon Mayo to be the two most listenable people on R2.
>>
>> Not challenging perhaps, but relaxing, interesting, inoffensive and pleasant.

Agree with you on Simon Mayo, used to listen to him when he did the afternoon slot on Radio 5, and his evening slot on R2 is always amusing.

Ken Bruce? well I'll just put that down to living abroad for too long.
>>You might even do better on pop master this time round

I'll probably still get it wrong. I panic, you see.
R2 is pretty dreadful these days....needs a cull ....Bruce and Mayo are the only ones I listen to these days. In fact since LBC has become available on DAB I tend to listen to that on my homeward commute..
At this time of year I am 3 hours behind, other times it is 4 or 5.

I don't have to worry about the breakfast show. Then comes Bruce, which is my school run.

If I drive around during the morning, its a pain because its that shouty idiot from lunchtime.

Driving around lunch/early afternoon is also a pain because its Steve Wright. I thought he was an a*** on 210 when I knew him and Mike Read, and I don't think he's changed.

Then there is Mayo, who is great for later afternoon.

Then there's a whole bunch of trendy stuff which doesn't suit me.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 17:48
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Bromptonaut
Used to quite like Ken Bruce on odd days at home but not everyday. There's more interesting stuff on Radio 4 at that time of day.

Johnny Walker's Sounds of the Seventies is good if i'm on DIY or driving at 15:00 to 17:00 on Sunday. Desmond Carrington is a fixture on Friday - flick over after whichever of News Quiz or Now Show is on. There's always something there that's either new to me or pings a nostalgic memory of one form or another.

Also still listen to Tony Blackburn's Pick of Pops but since Iffy was sent down I've been on my own here in that regard.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - MD
>> Also still listen to Tony Blackburn's Pick of Pops but since Iffy was sent down
>> I've been on my own here in that regard.
>>
No, I'm with you on TB.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - bathtub tom
>> Also still listen to Tony Blackburn's Pick of Pops

Another one here, as long as it's old enough and none of that modern '70s stuff.

I often tune in to Smooth until I get fed up with the adverts, or Magic if I'm close enough to a transmitter.
Used to quite like Ken Bruce on odd days at home but not everyday. There's more interesting stuff on Radio 4 at that time of day.

Johnny Walker's Sounds of the Seventies is good if i'm on DIY or driving at 15:00 to 17:00 on Sunday. Desmond Carrington is a fixture on Friday - flick over after whichever of News Quiz or Now Show is on. There's always something there that's either new to me or pings a nostalgic memory of one form or another.

Also still listen to Tony Blackburn's Pick of Pops but since Iffy was sent down I've been on my own here in that regard.
I shall check out LBC. Any particular pointers?
BTW, and I think this works for people wherever they are, I connect my telephone to the car stereo and then utilize my unlimited data contract and "TuneIn Radio" to listen to whatever I want.

It works really well, and costs nothing.
and more...

my favourite radio stations ever...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKL-ea4dQUk

and...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hulUQv7zGE

Warning: If you have *ANY* plans do NOT click on these links.
www.lbc.co.uk/iain-dale-28133

The one that's on at going home time. He's a Self-Confessed Tory, but a reasonable one.Only listen if there's crap on R4 though.
I'll give that [LBC] a go.

having spent an hour reliving Capital Radio and Luxembourg Radio experiences, I remember how much I enjoyed them.

These days I like Bruce, Mayo and Jack FM. But still nothing amounts to the pleasant enjoyment I used to get from the radio in the late 60s and 70s.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 18:37
>> I'll give that [LBC] a go.

My 83 year old mother gets all her information from there.

You will be apoplectic in less than an hour.
20 minute dollops -it's fine.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Robin O'Reliant
>> These days I like Bruce, Mayo and Jack FM. But still nothing amounts to the
>> pleasant enjoyment I used to get from the radio in the late 60s and 70s.
>>

The sixties and early seventies were the heyday of popular music, the number of timeless classics that were recorded in those days has never been approached since.
Too much blood y media these days...steam radio was at its best when it was the only alternative to TV
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Duncan
>> Too much blood y media these days...steam radio was at its best when it was
>> the only alternative to TV
>>

Too much blood y media these days..... steam radio was at its best when there was no TV.
Too much blood y media these days..... steam radio was at its best when there was no TV.

Too young to remember that though !

>> The sixties and early seventies were the heyday of popular music, the number of timeless
>> classics that were recorded in those days has never been approached since.

Wouldn't exactly say a lot of the music was classic in the 60s, but radio certainly got a sudden and welcome kick up the jacksy.

Transistor radios suddenly became cheap, I was lucky to live on the east coast where a plethora of Pirate radio sprung up

Pre Caroline, Radio London, et al all we had was a fading in and out Radio Luxembourg in the evening and pick of the pops on Sunday afternoons.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - MD
Steve Wright (in the afternoon) is a bleedin' moron. Always was, is and always will be. How he has managed to fool the Beeb for so long astounds me.
>>Steve Wright (in the afternoon) is a bleedin' moron.

No, he is considerably worse than that.

But as you say, he always has been. I knew him a million years ago when he did the Read & Wright show with Mike Read on 210 in Reading.

He was an a*** even then.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - CGNorwich
"The sixties and early seventies were the heyday of popular music, the number of timeless classics that were recorded in those days has never been approached since."

Do you think so? I would say the the thirties and the forties were the heyday of popular music and radio and I grew up in the sixties. The song-writers of that era have never been equalled. Grew to love that music listening to the late great Benny Green on Sunday afternoon radio programme.
>> "The sixties and early seventies were the heyday of popular music, the number of timeless
>> classics that were recorded in those days has never been approached since."
>>

Every era has its highlights and worthy of hearing again, tho given the lack of easily accessible recordings of the 30s I can only pass comment from the 40s onwards. Have to say tho the 70s was very nearly sunk when the Liner SS Music hit Iceberg Punk.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Alastairw
Being a smidge younger than most I find Eighties music more to my taste, and TB obliges every few weeks. Sara Cox's Sound of the Eighties at bedtime on Saturday is good too.

A recent audit of my record collection revealed most of them to date from 1982.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - CGNorwich
Even if the recordings of the thirties and forties are not easily accessible the music is. Most of the standards of the "Great American Songbook" have been endlessly re-recorded by modern artists and continue to do so. Their appeal is ongoing. I doubt whether most of the music of the sixties and seventies will still be sung and re-recorded by future generations although of course it has a nostalgic appeal to those brought up in that period.
>> I doubt whether most
>> of the music of the sixties and seventies will still be sung and re-recorded by
>> future generations

Don't forget in the 30s you were not there to listen to the crap music, the only 30s music you know is that which has merit to survive to this day and age. The crap of the 60s and 70s may still actually linger in your memory.

Mostly however in the intervening years a change happened. In the 30s, 40s and 50s you had songwriters, bands and singers.

Songwriters usually wrote songs for bands and singers often for broadway shows. Any bands and singers. Because they were frequently not specific to a band or a singer, they could easily be sung by others. Generic if you like. ( I agree songwriters often had a singer in mind), Of course there were bandleaders who wrote songs for their style of band.

In the 50s the rise of the singer/songwriter came into being where songs were written for the particular style of the band/singer and not easily transferred to other styles.
A good early example is Glen Miller, his stuff does not easily shift to another style of band to my ears.

If we look then at the 60's**, a musical decade you seem to cast into the pit, many fine songs were produced, but because of the relative good quality of the original recordings, the easily transferred and stored media they were made on and the not very easily transferrable style of music they do not get covered* That is not to say they do not get played or enjoyed by large number of people who were not around when they were first made. And the good ones will continue to be, so long after you are dead.

*Exceptions - The works of Simon and Garfunkle, Burt Bacharach, Carly Simon, Lennon and McCartney, etc

** The musical output of the 60 was prodigious, huge, so a subsequent huge amount of rubbish was made.

As an aside, you mentioned the GASB, yes you are right I hadn't recalled how many of those were written in the 30s.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 24 Nov 14 at 08:00
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Haywain
"The musical output of the 60 was prodigious, huge, so a subsequent huge amount of rubbish was made. "

If anyone is in any doubt about the validity of this statement, try tuning to Brian Matthew's 'Sounds of the 60s' on R2 on a Saturday morning.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Harleyman
Worth pointing out that a lot of the "crap" music of the pre-war era has not survived (at least in a form accessible to the wider public) simply because nobody recorded it. With the advent of magnetic tape, specifically cassette recorders, this is no longer the case.

I'd also take exception to your second comment; a look at the popular charts of the last two decades reveals that not only are the original recordings being issued with considerable success, but also that many of those songs are being covered by modern artists thus broadening the appeal; with the advent of digital sampling, snippets of earlier classics regularly find their way into modern recordings though I confess that this has limited appeal to someone like myself who usually prefers the original. It was of course ever thus to a degree; witness Procul Harum's "White Shade of Pale" which of course is based on Bach's "Air on the G string".

I do not by any means subscribe to the view that all the good popular songs have already been written, but genuinely original ones remain rare nowadays.
>>It was of course ever thus to
>> a degree; witness Procul Harum's "White Shade of Pale" which of course is based on
>> Bach's "Air on the G string".

Somewhere in the BBC archive is a programme called 'Something Borrowed, Something Blue' which explored the crossover from Classical to Popular. Some like the above and use of Borodin's music in Kismet are well known as is Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring in the Beach Boy's Lady Linda.

Perhaps less well known is Beach Baby by First Class:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG8MQ8f4nF4

Listen for Sibelius putting in an appearance just after the three minute mark.

I'm also convinced Sant Saens' mighty third has been used in a popular genre but cannot put my finger on where.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 24 Nov 14 at 12:03
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Fenlander
>>>lot of the "crap" music of the pre-war era has not survived (at least in a form accessible to the wider public) simply because nobody recorded it.

Changing now Harleyman. There are still a huge amount of original recordings on 78s from that period and with the advent of digital storage and de-click software lots of very clean recordings are being uploaded for the wider public.

A small example as the song title easily comes to mind.... I have this recording from the 30s on a 78 and it has a spectacular clean sound quality... better than the example given below. I might never have heard this recording in my life had it not appeared in a 78s collection earlier this year... but there it is already on Youtube for all to hear.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkGNvEbHwZM

My oldest 78s were made 100+yrs ago and have survived so well over that period with a bit of luck but no special care... and they play on current equipment. Actually it crosses my mind if a digital file from today could be similarly stored and replayed in 2114?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 24 Nov 14 at 12:29

>> Changing now Harleyman. There are still a huge amount of original recordings on 78s from
>> that period and with the advent of digital storage and de-click software lots of very
>> clean recordings are being uploaded for the wider public.

Oh yes I agree. I happen to be a bit of a Platters/Inkspots fan, the latter stimulated by Don Estelle's recording of "Whispering Grass" back in the day, although I can do without Windsor Davies' prattling. So much more of that sort of stuff now becoming easily accessible; I listen to much of my music on-line nowadays, apart from supporting friends in up-and-coming bands I rarely if ever buy CD's.
>>Every era has its highlights and worthy of hearing again,

Agreed.

However, in October 1973 I was at home having broken my ankle in a rugby match. It was the first day of Capital Radio and I listened to it for the whole day. I reckon that began what was, for me, a golden 10 - 15 years of Radio.
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Slidingpillar
Capital 194 has/had a quite unique transmitter aerial with three or four masts (can't remember details) and a directional beam. One of those things that books on theory delight in but the only practical one in this country.
SP in super boring mode for a Monday
 BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Boxsterboy
>> However, in October 1973 I was at home having broken my ankle in a rugby
>> match. It was the first day of Capital Radio and I listened to it for
>> the whole day. I reckon that began what was, for me, a golden 10 -
>> 15 years of Radio.
>>

Ah yes, early Capital Radio was superb (Roger Scott especially). It's a shame how more choice has given us lower quality (as with TV). I regularly remind my kids how good Capital was when I hear how bad it is today, when they insist on having it on in the car.

>> Ah yes, early Capital Radio was superb (Roger Scott especially). It's a shame how more
>> choice has given us lower quality (as with TV). I regularly remind my kids how
>> good Capital was when I hear how bad it is today, when they insist on
>> having it on in the car.

It was brilliant, but fell apart when it split off "gold" in the late 80s. It peaked with Everetts Saturday afternoon show.

It was all down hill from there.

>> It peaked with Everetts Saturday afternoon show.
>>
>> It was all down hill from there.
>>

I totally agree with you for once. :-)

Kenny Everett was, quite simply, a pioneering genius whose skills have never been bettered. Next April it will be twenty years since his untimely death. Listening to old clips of him on you-tube, it seems like it was only weeks ago, his style eclipses many of those who succeeded him.
>>>The sixties and early seventies were the heyday of popular music

Well they were certainly the decades when the most popular/expensive vinyl LPs when sold these days were made.

By and large classical/opera LPs have little value, neither does anything most parents had in my youth such as Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, Gilbert & Sullivan, South Pacific etc. 50s Rock & Roll has a modest following. A small following too for some 80s bands (Manc often) and little interest in the 90s.

But mid to late 60s and early to mid 70s LPs are in great demand, particularly excellent/mint examples of classic albums or those recordings that were perhaps a little overlooked commercially at the time but now gaining popularity.

Hand in hand with this is the increase of interest and value of turntables that most folks were throwing out in the 80s/90s.

I'm sure a great deal of it is the folks who's formative years were in the 60s/70s now getting to retirement with kids off their hands so casting around with more time/cash to spare.

AC would (I think) approve that today's LPs for play grading include some early/mid 60s Jamaican Ska**, not something I've listened to before but quite liking the alternative experience.

** Such as The Skatalites, Baba Brooks, Delroy Wilson, Sir Lord Comic.... I'm sure he's has a "drink" with them all.

BBC Radio 2 Record of the Week - Armel Coussine
>> I'm sure he's has a "drink" with them all.

Not with any of those Fenlander, although I do like Ska of course.

There was a very long Bob Marley concert on one of the channels last night, which herself wanted to watch. I have had a drink with him, and on another occasion with two or three of the Wailers. But I did find last night that Reggae palls in the end if you aren't on your feet dancing.

Marley was a nice man.
>>> Bob Marley.... I have had a drink with him, and on another occasion with two or three of the Wailers.

Ahh well I guessed along the right lines.
Latest Forum Posts