Non-motoring > Older Scalextric Sets Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 7

Older Scalextric Sets - Bromptonaut
Does anybody here know much about these?

My nephew has what's described as set 300. It probably dates from around 1979/80 originally belonged to a cousin who died in childhood. Sat in Aunt's loft from 1981 until being given to nephew a few years ago. Fairly basic kit comprising an off set oval track with two crossovers and built in banking at one end. The cars are 2 x Mini 1275GT.

It also includes a C920 power unit with a notional output of 13.5V and two controllers which plug into underside of track exactly as my own set did c1965.

Both cars motors run OK but they won't move the cars other than at a slow wiggle 'cos the tyres have perished and gone hard. I've swapped them with tyres from a late nineties (40th anniversary of Mini) set which my two had and the old 1275GT then runs fine.

It looks as though tyres can be bought as spares:

www.scalextric-car.co.uk/Parts/Tyres/Small_tyres/Small_tyres.htm.

I'll order 10 as there are two 1275GTs.

I a bit dubious though about the transformer and controllers. Two different multimeters show it as knocking out nearer 17 than 13 volts and both controllers seem to be putting that voltage to the rails as soon as they're eased open. Is this OK/normal?

It seems to work OK with the re-tyred 1275GT but I could only control the cars from my set my substituting their set's 'Powerbase' connector (fixed plug in point for 12VDC and both controllers) transformer and hand throttles.

I guess the worst an overvoltage would do is burn out either motors or hand throttles - a regular occurrence with my own sixties set. Should I be more worried...?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 23 Nov 14 at 17:07
 Older Scalextric Sets - Zero
75GTs.
>>
>> I a bit dubious though about the transformer and controllers. Two different multimeters show it
>> as knocking out nearer 17 than 13 volts and both controllers seem to be putting
>> that voltage to the rails as soon as they're eased open. Is this OK/normal?

Its fine, its an unregulated output, and will fall under load. It needs to be on the higher side because of the losses through the track joints and car brushes.

>> I guess the worst an overvoltage would do is burn out either motors or hand
>> throttles - a regular occurrence with my own sixties set. Should I be more worried...?

Yeah, those hand throttles used to melt in your hand, and melt your hand.

No worries.
 Older Scalextric Sets - No FM2R
Zero is right, swings and roundabouts and all that.

Within their own "time" they are just fine. Not as consistent or as reliable as these days, but really just fine.

Older Scalextric Sets - Slidingpillar
When we got a set, mid to late 60s the controllers were the held in hand with a push down plunger. Not up to the minis we later got and the controlers were changed for the gun type where the resistance is a lot more open to air circulation.
 Older Scalextric Sets - Robin O'Reliant

>> My nephew has what's described as set 300.
>>
>>
Of course he has Brompt, of course ;-)
 Older Scalextric Sets - Alastairw
I had that exact set. Joint present with my little brother - he still has it. I got the train set....
 Older Scalextric Sets - Bromptonaut
New tyres arrived this morning. Now fitted and both cars whiz round (and off) track like new.

Hopefully one happy nephew.
 Older Scalextric Sets - Robin O'Reliant
I trust you fitted winter tyres?
Latest Forum Posts