Non-motoring > Created on a typewriter. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

Created on a typewriter. - henry k
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6TLnN6C-Lz_Z1hndGVxb3RlekU/edit

Extraordinary beyond words.
 Created on a typewriter. - Runfer D'Hills
Brilliant! A dear friend from my youth who was similarly challenged used to win quite a lot of money when Trivial Pursuit was in its heyday by memorising in advance all the answers to all the questions on all the cards in all the series and then playing for money.

His demeanour often gave those who didn't know him the impression he was a bit of a simple soul but in fact he genuinely was employed as a rocket scientist.

Books and covers eh?
 Created on a typewriter. - bathtub tom
Ever see those enormous pictures on paper done by telex machines?

I used to have some of the punched tape that formed them.
 Created on a typewriter. - Zero
Bit late with this guys, he died 7 years ago, and hadn't produced any art since 2004.
 Created on a typewriter. - Armel Coussine
There was a black kid, perhaps only eight or ten years old, autistic I think, who produced a very fine drawing of St Pancras station and its Victorian Gothic hotel.
>> produced a very fine drawing of St Pancras station and its Victorian Gothic hotel.

I should have added: from memory, after seeing it once. If my own memory, iffier by the day, hasn't misled me.
 Created on a typewriter. - John Boy
I think this is the guy you're probably referring to, AC.

www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/
That's the cat! What the French used to call an 'idiot savant'. They weren't any more PC then than they are now.
 Created on a typewriter. - Slidingpillar
rasterbator.net
Is quite fun for making big images.
 Created on a typewriter. - wokingham
Stephen Wiltshire, his additional skill is the draws from memory and without making sketches or notes. He looked at St Pancras for about 15 minutes and then went home and drew it with the right number of gables and storeys and panes of glass! He is still working and has a Gallery in a shopping arcade off Pall Mall. tinyurl.com/lcyfyyj
 Created on a typewriter. - Cliff Pope
>> There was a black kid, perhaps only eight or ten years old, autistic I think,
>> who produced a very fine drawing of St Pancras station and its Victorian Gothic hotel.
>>
>>

I remember him from a TV documentary. There were others with similar but different amazing one-track skills.
One boy could play complete musical works on the piano by ear having heard them once.
Another could tell you the day of the week of any date in history. He didn't know how he did it, and couldn't understand why anyone would want to know.
 Created on a typewriter. - Ambo
>>autistic I think

Mental handicaps don't seem necessarily to interfere with artistic production. A few year back I saw an exhibition, in a public gallery near Lille, of art by residents of mental homes. Some exhibits were quite astoundingly good, especially one huge, meticulous and minutely observed architectural drawing which had taken years to complete.
 Created on a typewriter. - helicopter
Derek Paravicini is the piano playing savant from the documentary....also blind.

Listen and be amazed.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDV74pkZYk
Last edited by: helicopter on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 12:03
 Created on a typewriter. - Ambo
Blind Bernard Ascoli won the Leeds Piano Competition a few years ago.
 Created on a typewriter. - Bromptonaut
>> Mental handicaps don't seem necessarily to interfere with artistic production. A few year back I
>> saw an exhibition, in a public gallery near Lille, of art by residents of mental
>> homes. Some exhibits were quite astoundingly good, especially one huge, meticulous and minutely observed architectural
>> drawing which had taken years to complete.

Mental illness is no respecter of intelligence or ability. Several of humanity's most able artists, writers and composers were bi-polar with their best work coming in manic phases.
Latest Forum Posts