Non-motoring > TV Recording Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 13

TV Recording - neiltoo
We have had a Panasonic HDD and DVD recorder (can't remember the model) and are very pleased withitin general.

However, the TV companies seem incapable of keeping to their timetables.

The One Show consistently starts two minutes early, putting several following programmes early. (I don't want to record the One Show!)

The evening Regional News programmes frequently over run making later shows out of their time brackets.

BBC is particularly irritating when, even when running late, they run b....y trailers.

The consequence is that I frequently miss the start, and more importantly, the ends of recorded programs. I can handle this disappointment, but Mrs Too gives me some pain when she misses the end of Lewis.

Do the modern recorders have systems to alleviate this, and has anyone a recommendation?

Panasonic seem to have fewer critics than Humax, but what does the panel think?
 TV Recording - Zero
I have a humax and it does start recording when the programme starts, early or late.

TV Recording - rtj70
>> but Mrs Too gives me some pain when she misses the end of Lewis.

You can't blame the BBC for that though can you.

I'd have thought the best solution is to add more padding before/after the programme. Or is that not enough to record the whole programme.
 TV Recording - Zero
Does not need padding, just act on the start of programme signal.
 TV Recording - rtj70
Yours might not, but neiltoo's seems to ignore this signal. My suggestion was for him.
 TV Recording - neiltoo
Thanks Z, but what about the ending?
 TV Recording - smokie
Not all recorders recognise the start signal - Virgin's TiVo doesn't, so all my recordings have start and end padding.
 TV Recording - Ambo
My Humax Foxstat enables me to adjust start and finish times, I think up to 2 minutes. Sometimes it highlights a clash when scheduling a new recording and I delete the newcomer. Sometimes it highlights a clash at the start of two recordings while I am watching a third but if I ignore this both seem to record in full. I can instant-start an additional fourth if I want.

If you buy one, be prepared for the virtually undetectable foil which will stop the remote from working, a manual which is cryptic even by IT standards, an annoying response delay when a command is executed and the fact that a factory reset will lose any recordings you are keeping (although there is a work-around).
 TV Recording - VxFan
>> Not all recorders recognise the start signal

Our Humax freeview recorder does, but frequently gets its knickers in a twist with ITVs start signal. All the other channels seem fine. However if I set it to record the ITV+1 channel instead, then more often than not it behaves. A colleague told me to try this because his Humax Freesat system does the same thing with the ITV channels but not the +1.

Another thing the Humax doesn't like with ITV channels (ITV and the +1 channel) is the series link option. It's forever forgetting to record the next episode of a programme.

The SkyHD box is faultless though. Can't ever recall it missing the start or the end of a programme if it runs late/starts early.
 TV Recording - Slidingpillar
Get a Freeview+ box and use it at the default. While the BBC kids channels are not perfect, the rest of the BBC channels are very good. If you put in padding, you'll almost certainly disable accurate recording and miss more.

The One show is another victim of the start early and refuse to tell anyone policy that should have been binned before it started. It always starts around 1854, and not the advertised 1900. There is a reason for the early start to do with later programmes, but it would be nice if it was admitted.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 26 Nov 14 at 09:31
 TV Recording - Zero

>> Another thing the Humax doesn't like with ITV channels (ITV and the +1 channel) is
>> the series link option. It's forever forgetting to record the next episode of a programme.

Thats not the fault of the humax box. Its the broadcast EPG.

>> The SkyHD box is faultless though. Can't ever recall it missing the start or the
>> end of a programme if it runs late/starts early.

Different EPG
 TV Recording - rtj70
>> Different EPG

Sky has full control of the EPG, the actual broadcasts and their own software running on their own hardware.... More likely to work you would hope.
 TV Recording - Slidingpillar
Actually less, the on air Sky epg is not linked to the playout system.

But, as Sky don't do many oddities or changes to scheduling, use of the epg to programme recorders on their channels is unlikely to end with tears before bedtime.

Use however on a BBC channel will give inferior performance to a Freeview+ recorder operating in accurate recording mode.
 TV Recording - rtj70
Whatever the Sky+ HD box does (whether EPG related or something else), if programmes get delayed or overrun , they have always recorded okay for us. And I'm sure they can (and do) push out updates to their EPG.

For example, Game of the Day on a Saturday will be chosen later in the day for obvious reasons. Sometimes (not always) they will update the programme description in the EPG when viewed on their smartphone app... So I can then record if applicable and not at home to set it up.

Annoyingly there doesn't seem to be a way to record something from Match Choice via the app. You need to select the match on the STB. Shame if you're away on holiday.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 26 Nov 14 at 14:27
Latest Forum Posts