Non-motoring > David Mellor Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 65

David Mellor - Pat
“Once I had lost my temper, which I regret, he then secretly recorded me. I will leave the public to judge his actions.”

I really do think we should be judging David Mellors actions and not the boot on the other foot.

Pat
 David Mellor - Zero

>> I really do think we should be judging David Mellors actions and not the boot
>> on the other foot.

We judged David Mellor yonks ago, which is why he is no longer a politician or featured on TV or Radio.

The public have spoken,
 David Mellor - rtj70
>> which is why he is no longer a politician or featured on TV or Radio.

Unfortunately he has his own show on ClassicFM.
 David Mellor - Cliff Pope
Thanks to D H Lawrence all people called Mellor are automatically awarded an honourary "s" after their name.
 David Mellor - Manatee
I bet D H Lawrence said "St John's Ambulance" and "Tesco's" as well. Pluralitis.

I don't mind Mellor actually, although I probably wouldn't want to spend an evening in the pub with him. He has turned his hand to various things to earn a crust.

But I can't forgive him for his terrible grammar.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11252235/Ex-cabinet-minister-David-Mellor-regrets-tirade-against-sweaty-stupid-taxi-driver.html

""So if you’re not going to say you’re sorry, shut the f*** up. And you, cab number ****, listen to Ken and I tomorrow, you’re going to get a f***ing bucketful."

Disgraceful - "Ken and I". And him going to Cambridge and everything.

He was clearly unsuited to being a politician though. Can't control his gob. Might accidentally tell the truth.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 13:28
 David Mellor - No FM2R
>>I bet D H Lawrence said "St John's Ambulance" and "Tesco's" as well. Pluralitis.

I don't mind "Tesco's" because at least it could be possessive - "Tesco's shop".

But as for St. John's Ambulance; well rather embarrassingly I thought it was " 's" . I was so surprised, I googled it.

Now I realise it isn't with an "s" I will immediately use it correctly and no doubt be irritated by those who do not.
 David Mellor - Bromptonaut
Not clear why Pat started this thread, has he been n the news again?

Mrs B and I enjoy his Classic FM programmes.

Not sure the current Sunday 7pm iteration has the earlier 'If you liked that you'll like this' format but his knowledge of the subject, whether composer, conductor or orchestra is impressive.
Ive answered my question about why by simple expedient of Google.

However the description of Mellor as an ocean going idiot coming from Kelvin McKenzie has overloaded my irony meter by several orders of magnitude.
 David Mellor - commerdriver
Don't know if it's just me but I have had about enough of the sanctimonious, sneaky, look what I overheard/recorded/saw merchants who love to record things out of context or only the bits that suit them. Almost as bad are the media who love to play up the result and make it even more one sided.

For what it's worth I think Mellor was an idiot for getting involved and for losing his temper, but the taxi driver is every bit as bad.

Rant over...
>> Don't know if it's just me but I have had about enough of the sanctimonious,
>> sneaky, look what I overheard/recorded/saw merchants who love to record things out of context or

Yep. Nothing worse than an aggrieved member of the public turning up with a tape recorder or worse surreptitiously recording a telephone call. The potential exposure was one thing but it was the attempts to prove contradictory advice via simple differences of expression that got me.

No wonder call centres stick to scripts.
 David Mellor - Pat
The reason I started the thread is because it saddens me to see just how many people seem to think it is ok to 'talk down' to people they perceive to be below them.

Plebgate, the recent woman tweeting a picture of Rochester and closer to home, we see it on the UKIP thread, as well as some others.

I was brought up to respect people who were better educated than I was, to look up to someone in a 'better position than me both socially and at work. Public figures, of course, it went without saying.

I find that respect failing every time someone does this sort of thing.

That isn't my fault, but the fault of the people who have had a good upbringing, education and yet still haven't mastered the art of not being downright rude.

Derogatory remarks say far more about those who make them than those they are addressed to.

Pat
Pat,

I understand where you'r coming from. I had benefit of a grammer school education but rejected option of University and kept by Yorkshire accent. I was occasionally, but only very rarely, spoken down to by fellow Civil Servants on account of the latter two (and once the first - by somebody who went to a well known public school).

The 'art' of patronising for England is alive and well in both parties, listen to IDS on universal credit.

Mellor I think just got in a row about his knowledge v the driver's 'Knowledge'. He's known to have a short fuse - see his comments to Sir James Goldsmith, then mortally ill, when he lost his seat in 97.

Will be interesting to see how Plebgate turns out - the High Court hearing of the conjoined libel actions by the Policeman and Mitchell is drawing to a close as I type.

Somebody is going to be left looking very silly indeed.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 15:35
>> Mellor I think just got in a row about his knowledge v the driver's 'Knowledge'.
>> He's known to have a short fuse - see his comments to Sir James Goldsmith,
>> then mortally ill, when he lost his seat in 97.

Why am I defending Mellor when barristers in pompous ar - se mode were bane of my life in several posts in and around the courts?

Pricking their pomposity (provided the boss would connive) was good fun though.
 David Mellor - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 15:55
 David Mellor - Manatee
>> The reason I started the thread is because it saddens me to see just how
>> many people seem to think it is ok to 'talk down' to people they perceive
>> to be below them.

It's bullying, basically, and not clever. It's a power thing, not a posh vs. working class thing.

I've worked with and for people who have been vile in that respect, although not to me. Most of them didn't hold a grudge, so to speak, it was just temper, and because they could.

I could mention one who reduced a receptionist to tears with effin' and jeffin' because his parking space hadn't been reserved - it wouldn't have been justified even if it had been her error, which it wasn't. He was actually quite a decent bloke and serious philanthropist and whilst I doubt if he actually apologised, I'm sure he was perfectly civil the next time he saw her.

I prefer the people who realise that another way to use power is to be gracious to those with less of it - and fortunately there are more of the second type. But even they risk being seen as condescending.
 David Mellor - Armel Coussine
>> another way to use power is to be gracious to those with less of it - and fortunately there are more of the second type. But even they risk being seen as condescending.

It's an aspect of the human tragicomedy. Sadly, it's not unusual for individuals to judge the attitudes and behaviour of people they perceive as 'posh' by analogy with many a sneering posh movie snake-in-the-grass or villain, and to believe they are being condescending when they are just behaving normally.

Our much-evolved, decadent and complex 'class system' for want of a better phrase lies at the base of all this whatever people may think. The problem seems to be that nearly everyone is subliminally nervous when meeting strangers of any description. Fearless, straightforward types whose discourse can't be thought condescending (by anyone with half a brain) are very rare.
 David Mellor - Zero
>> Don't know if it's just me but I have had about enough of the sanctimonious,
>> sneaky, look what I overheard/recorded/saw merchants
>> Rant over...

Well having had your "rant" lets put another perspective on it.

If mixed it with a drunken rude letcherous pompous overblown fatuous windbag, ranting at me that he knew my job better than me and because he went to Oxbridge, had been an MP, and a QC yada yada I would deck him or tape him and put him up for public ridicule.

Either of which is exactly what he deserved.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 16:20
>> ""So if you're not going to say you're sorry, shut the f*** up. And you, cab number ****, listen to Ken and I tomorrow, you're going to get a f***ing bucketful."

>> Disgraceful - "Ken and I". And him going to Cambridge and everything.

Yup, pompous tit. Not stupid though, so the crazed outburst may have been provoked by peripheral stresses and factors. He could have been snooted by a royal flunky, an actual royal or even his newly-decorated wife who is properly posh unlike him. Most likely though is one too many glasses of champagne with brandy to give it a bit of oomph. One is enough, after that you start to make mistakes.

From his one quoted remark the taxi driver seems entirely reasonable and hard done by. But you would have had to be there to know for sure...
 David Mellor - henry k
>> >> which is why he is no longer a politician or featured on TV or
>> Radio.
>>
>> Unfortunately he has his own show on ClassicFM.
>>
and a chat show on LBC
www.lbc.co.uk/ken-and-david-3744 says

"Moderation is not a word that one would associate with David Mellor.
Whatever his passion - be it politics, football or business - he pursues it with the kind of energy and commitment that would leave the finest athlete panting at the starting block.
David Mellor pursues a multi-faceted career. When he's not busy hosting London’s Biggest Conversation with former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, the former barrister and politician runs his own international business consultancy and writes for the Evening Standard, The Guardian and The People on sport and the arts.

David practised at the bar until 1981 when he joined the Government. He was Member of Parliament for Putney from 1979 to 1997, a Government Minister from 1981 to 1992, and served in the Cabinet from 1990 to 1992.

Since leaving the Cabinet, David's broadcasting and writing career has gone into overdrive. A prolific newspaper and magazine columnist, he also heads the Government's Football Taskforce and presents a show on Classic FM.

David Mellor - rtj70
I see where Pat's coming from and from what he said he was in the wrong.

But it's interesting that only part of the conversation was released. I bet the whole conversation was recorded by the cab driver. Or are we to believe he started the recording (possibly on a phone) whilst driving...

For all we know the cab driver was going to go the long way around and had every intention of winding up David Mellor. I'm not defending David Mellor but I suspect there's more to this than what has been heard.
 David Mellor - Robin O'Reliant
"Man loses temper in argument and swears and insults someone".

Well, I'm jolly glad I've never done that in my life.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 16:20
 David Mellor - henry k
Kelvin Mackenzie says......

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30195139
>> Kelvin Mackenzie says......
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30195139

As I've already observed my irony meter went off scale at that comment from that source.
 David Mellor - Zero
>> Kelvin Mackenzie says......
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30195139

Its the Kettle and Pot show
 David Mellor - R.P.
Indeed a total T***. I know one person only who reads his dreadful excuse for a newspaper/
 David Mellor - legacylad
After many years in retailing I have met many pompous people. Some are not even aware of it. A few years ago, when I had my own business, several customers opened accounts and duly received a monthly statement. We had one lovely lady, who popped in several times a week to buy merchandise, until one week she was ill and her husband called into the shop. None of the staff, including myself, recognised him and when asked his retort was 'don't you know who I am?'' In a certain tone which deserved a slap. We never mentioned it to his lovely, charming wife, but felt sorry for her after that little scene.
 David Mellor - Runfer D'Hills
Too true LL, anyone who has ever worked in retail will tell you that they have been treated as sub-human at some time or another.
Yes legacy, some of those ill-mannered hyaenas of commerce who may be genuinely pig ignorant but despise the overwhelming majority of 'losers' can be very tiresome, even when they are genuinely nice blokes seen from another angle. Worked for one such back in the day, an Aussie doing well in London. Couldn't stand the cat although in a different light he was rather sweet.

I resigned just before he made up his mind to fire me.
 David Mellor - Avant
I believe this to be true:

Pompous politician at airport terminal, impatient at having his passport checked:

"Do you know who I am?"

Checkout girl calmly reaches for the microphone and announces to the whole terminal "We have a gentleman here who doesn't know who he is. Can anyone who can help him please come to desk 43".

>> I believe this to be true:
>>
>> Pompous politician at airport terminal, impatient at having his passport checked:

It's otherwise told as involving a starlet at check in, usually with overweight baggage.

But the punchline is the same.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 25 Nov 14 at 20:31
 David Mellor - Zero
>> I believe this to be true:

Sorry, Nice as it is, its an urban legend.
Matt in today's bellylaff:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=11254521&cc=11206998
 David Mellor - Manatee
>> Matt in today's bellylaff:
>>
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=11254521&cc=11206998

About the right amount of humiliation delivered! Quel wazzock.
 David Mellor - helicopter
Bromptonaut you say above.......

.....I had benefit of a grammer school education.....

Not much benefit old chap if they did not teach you that the correct spelling is 'grammar'...
....or am I am being patronising by mentioning it.......
>> ....or am I am being patronising by mentioning it.......

Probably...

I knew it was wrong as soon as I typed it but thought I'd see how long it took a pedant to bite.
 David Mellor - Duncan
>>
>> I knew it was wrong as soon as I typed it but thought I'd see
>> how long it took a pedant to bite.
>>

Yeah, right.
:0)
 David Mellor - Zero
>> >> ....or am I am being patronising by mentioning it.......
>>
>> Probably...
>>
>> I knew it was wrong as soon as I typed it but thought I'd see
>> how long it took a pedant to bite.

Yes thats it. Brompy is Captain Mainwaring.
 David Mellor - TheManWithNoName
Mellor needs to learn the words of the old Thai national anthem

Repeat after me

Wha - Ta - Nar - Siam

;-)
Went to a slightly odd garden party once at the top of Notting Hill, given by the French embassy press attaché. I really can't remember if Mellor was present, but I did converse briefly with his then squeeze, a pug-faced blonde. She seemed pretty awful on that brief acquaintance, but may have had hidden depths.
 David Mellor - wokingham
Depths which Mellor has doubtless plumbed. It might take as much effort for a cabby to do The Knowledge as it does to become a barrister?
 David Mellor - neiltoo
No axe to grind,pro or anti Mellor, but has the cabby's side of the conversation been published?
 David Mellor - Pat
Both sides of the conversation we're published in The Sun.

Pat
 David Mellor - neiltoo
Thanks Pat.

Was it innocuous, or a similar rant to Mellor's?
 David Mellor - Zero
>> Both sides of the conversation we're published in The Sun.
>>
>> Pat

Part of both sides of the conversation were published.
 David Mellor - henry k
>> >> Both sides of the conversation we're published in The Sun.
>> >>
>> >> Pat
>>
>> Part of both sides of the conversation were published.
>>
It appears that maybe the initial conversation was not recorded but a later part was recorded.

Read all aboutit ! Read all aboutit!
The Daily copied the Sun
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2850013/David-Mellor-banned-London-taxis-expletive-ridden-rant-black-cab-driver-says-union-boss.html
 David Mellor - Zero
>> No axe to grind,pro or anti Mellor, but has the cabby's side of the conversation
>> been published?

Yes.

"sarf 'o the riva Guv? you gotta be 'avin a giraffe incha?"
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 26 Nov 14 at 16:02
>> has the cabby's side of the conversation been published?

There was a bit of it in the original report. Sounded as if he was being appeasing and reasonable. But only a few words were quoted. He could have said other things too.

But what a vulgarian Mellor is. Mind you, too much to drink on an empty stomach when stressed about something can make a ranting vulgarian of anyone, even me to my shame.

Herself said drink was unlikely to be the cause as the incident had happened 'quite early in the day'. Well, she may not booze before the evening but a lot of people do, particularly on special occasions. You might rather need a stiffener before confronting some royals, and of course they might offer high-status visitors one or two more while they are waiting to go into the Presence. Mellor isn't a fool so something must have set him off like that, booze plus some serious irritation or humiliation. Looking like a photocopier in a cheap suit - I'm sure Mellor's whistles aren't cheap but they always look it somehow - doesn't automatically mean you are easily offended and lacking in self-control. Something wound him up.
 David Mellor - Pat
According to reports I've heard it's normal behaviour for him.

Booze, stress, royalty are still no excuse for rudeness and pomposity.

At the very least, he could have apologised.

Pat
 David Mellor - wokingham
Too much drink on an empty brain is also unhelpful!
 David Mellor - commerdriver
If you were recording the conversation would you be more careful what you said than someone who did not know the other party was recording him
I do not believe for one second we have the full story
Doesn't make Mellor any less of a wassock but I for one bet he was not the only one
 David Mellor - henry k
>> If you were recording the conversation would you be more careful what you said than
>> someone who did not know the other party was recording him
>> I do not believe for one second we have the full story
>>
I agree but something in the earlier non recorded "conversations" maybe/did trigger the cabbie to start recording.
 David Mellor - rtj70
>> maybe/did trigger the cabbie to start recording.

And would you notice he was doing something? And whatever he was then trying to do/start.... was it legal whilst driving? If it involved a phone that was held it was illegal.
 David Mellor - John Boy
Grovel, grovel, slime, slime:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30259319
>> Grovel, grovel, slime, slime:
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30259319
>>

Why do they make it worse by apologising?

"We had a row and I gave him an earful, get over it love I didn't murder anyone".
>> Why do they make it worse by apologising?

How does it make it worse? Seems to me he had to explain himself somehow. And as I thought, he was ratted after one too many drinky-poos at lunch time. It can happen to, if not the best of us, at least most of us.
>>
>> How does it make it worse? Seems to me he had to explain himself somehow.
>> And as I thought, he was ratted after one too many drinky-poos at lunch time.
>> It can happen to, if not the best of us, at least most of us.
>>
>>
He didn't have to explain himself to anyone. The only person who would have deserved any sort of apology is the taxi driver and he lost any case for sympathy by going public and revelling in it.

Part of the tabloid culture I suppose, we must go in the arena and face the lions to appease the crowd and publicly repent our sins. Whether it's for having a row that is none of anyone elses business or missing a penalty in a World Cup match.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 29 Nov 14 at 17:48
>> He didn't have to explain himself to anyone.

He didn't 'have to', no. But it was what any sane, properly raised person would have done.

At least he could remember what he was apologising for. It's much worse when you have to trek round next day apologising for things you can't remember at all, but which are obviously pretty heinous judging by the stern expressions on most faces.

Has no one here but me had any real-life experiences of this sort? I'm appalled. Bunch of goddam Fotherington-Thomases if you ask me (and where's he gone by the way?).
 David Mellor - madf
I can't reme,ber anyone or anything,
And don't care:-)
Hic!

Nothing wrong with Davis Mellor. He has good taste in women.. and they seem to like him..
>> He has good taste in women..

Not always. But it's a marshy area.
 David Mellor - Roger.
He's a knob in the same mould as Mitchell.
 David Mellor - John Boy
There's nothing wrong with apologising, so long as you don't have to do it too often. If you do, you're an idiot.

In this case, he doesn't sound sincere to me. Plus, he manages to imply that the cabbie concerned isn't one of the "decent" cabbies. That might be okay, if he told us what the discussion was about, but he doesn't.
 David Mellor - CGNorwich
Politicians should be judged by their competence. Mellor was by all accounts a good Secretary of Culture. Michell was similarly intelligent and capable.
 David Mellor - madf
>> Politicians should be judged by their competence. Mellor was by all accounts a good Secretary
>> of Culture. Michell was similarly intelligent and capable.
>>

All that we plebs can see is their public persona.

Mitchell: arrogant oaf
Mellor: clown?
 David Mellor - Zero
>> Mellor was by all accounts a good Secretary
>> of Culture.

dunno where he got that from, Culture that is. His idea of culture was bonking while wearing a Chelsea strip. If you mean he was seen at lots of cultural events, I don't doubt he couldn't miss a freebie.

>> Michell was similarly intelligent and capable.

Incapable of keeping his gob shut, and stupid about it afterwards.
Latest Forum Posts