Non-motoring > Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 113

Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Zero
Well over 4 years old and I have finally broken the screen of my venerable and trusty iPhone 4.

Its a boooger because its well paid up, still works well*, and currently on a nice cheap tariff.

So my options are

1/ Repair it - it will cost 40 quid. Its just the glass broken not the touch screen digitiser *tho it could do with a new home button as its getting a wee bit hit and miss.

2/ Get a new one on insurance - I have an excess of 70 quid.

3/ Upgrade.

3a/ Another iPhone? 5s or 6? 6 is costly 5s less so, but 5 and 6 have a new data socket so none of my current peripherals would fit, we have iPhone 4 docks as Nicolle has a 4s.

3b/Go Android. Same issues as 3a but better phone, more choice for less money.

Currently I have bought and slapped on a screen protector to stop the glass bits coming out or cutting me. I am determined not to make a distress purchase.

1/ Is currently head and shoulder s in the lead, but I fancy 4g........
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 Nov 14 at 17:56
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - No FM2R

Android or Apple?

You seem perfectly happy with an Apple so I'm not sure why you would change or where the benefit would be.

iPhone x?

Why would you pay for more than you have? get the existing one repaired or a another the same.

*UNLESS*, there is some available facility or some functionality that you do not currently use but would like to have.

Is there?
BTW, I have a 4. You can have it if you wish, I'll post it to you. Cost you a beer next time I'm in the UK.
>> BTW, I have a 4. You can have it if you wish, I'll post it
>> to you. Cost you a beer next time I'm in the UK.

Done, drop me an email. I'll pay the stated postage cost into a charity.

I hope its black you racist git
Right. It'll be tomorrow morning before I can get to the office to find out the cost. I'll send you an email tomorrow afternoon.

It is indeed a non-white phone.

>> Is there?

4g
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Alastairw
As I understand it on the 4 the digitiser and glass come as one piece. Repair might be dearer than you think.
>> As I understand it on the 4 the digitiser and glass come as one piece.
>> Repair might be dearer than you think.

Been quoted 40 quid this very morning in a local high street phone repair shop.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 Nov 14 at 18:05
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - BiggerBadderDave
"Been quoted 40 quid"

For 4g? It's talcum powder mate.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - VxFan
>> Been quoted 40 quid this very morning in a local high street phone repair shop.

Some bloke in the Westgate Centre in Oxford did my Niece's iPhone 4 for something like £15 or £20. He even replaced the missing screws that some other bloke had lost when the screen was changed before.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Runfer D'Hills
I have an iPhone 5s. My son told me to buy it. It has 4 "Gs" apparently, which I gather is a good thing. Not sure I've ever used any of them though. It's ok but it hasn't changed my life. Battery runs out quicker than I'd like. Good for emails, a bit hit and miss at being a phone.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Runfer D'Hills
I saw an Insignia ( I think it was anyway ) with the registration number BO11 OKS on the motorway the other day. I'm not really into these things but I'd quite enjoy having that number.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Alastairw
BU11OCS is owned (or at least was) by a local coach company.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Ted

My detective training tells me that it might be Bullocks Coaches ! I claim the £5 prize !
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - henry k
My Google training ...

www.flickr.com/photos/salford_ian/7574067762/

I claim nowt
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - smokie
I was bragging about replacing a broken screen on a 4, took about 30 mins, was dead easy and cost £235 or thereabouts. So someone brought in their son's for me to fix and I procured the screen. Couldn't get the old one off for love nor money. I'd pay the £40 next time rather than d-i-y.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - rtj70
>> was dead easy and cost £235

Typo there I think??
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - smokie
Oops £25
>> >> was dead easy and cost £235

That was the cost after someone sorted afterwards.....
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - John Boy
>> www.flickr.com/photos/salford_ian/7574067762/
>>
Nice bus. Reminds me of those computer cases which "gamers" go in for.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Boxsterboy
The answer is 5s, which you can probably get on a cheaper tariff than the one you're on, and bite the bullet with the peripherals. 5s performs better than 4s in every way, but a 6 is too big (IMHO).

If you stick with a 4 you're missing out on 4g and Sod's law is that Nicole's 4 will soon die which will mean an upgrade, so you might as well both go to a 5s now and carry on with the Apple love-fest?
>> The answer is 5s, which you can probably get on a cheaper tariff than the
>> one you're on,

I pay 11 pounds a month for 1gb data, 500 minutes and unlimited texts. Where can I get the same and an iPhone 5s?

Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Duncan
>> I pay 11 pounds a month for 1gb data, 500 minutes and unlimited texts.
>>

Who is that with?
Mercury Comms, I should think.
02, Its a "don't leave us" tariff.>>
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - BobbyG
www.uswitch.com/mobiles/contract_deal/3245380?page=%2Fmobiles%2Fiphone_deals%2F

£25 a month for a 5s - with a voucher code to make phone free - on EE
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - rtj70
Virgin Mobile give you unlimited calls, texts and data for £15 SIM only. And a 30 day contract. Have that for my step-son. It uses EE but is only 3G.

I pay more than Zero for similar - £16. I get unlimited calls/texts and 1G data. But mine is 4G.

I don't think I'd go for an expensive tariff again to get a 'free' phone.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - BobbyG
Anyone use Giffgaff?
giffgaff.com/goodybags-4g

Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Roger.
Only for a PAYG sim! They're OK.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - CGNorwich
>> Only for a PAYG sim! They're OK.
>

But dearer than "3"
>> But dearer than "3"

Ah 3.

Ah Just to reassure myself I am not wrong - I stare with awe and wonder at all the white "no coverage" spots on their coverage map.

I put in ye olde poste code (surbubia remember) and they tell me I would have no indoor coverage.

Nothing changed with "three" I see.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 15:10
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Bromptonaut
Same here. OK, its a village but a big one and with M1 to east and Euston main line railway to west. We bought a 3 dongle for netbook - useless nearly everywhere.
>> Same here. OK, its a village but a big one and with M1 to east
>> and Euston main line railway to west.

You parked the caravan in Watford Gap services? Never heard it called a village before.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Bromptonaut
>> You parked the caravan in Watford Gap services? Never heard it called a village before.
>>

Ha Ha.

There's actually a 3 mast a few hundred yards away on playing fields. Could see it if there wasn't a house in way. Still no signal.

There was a bit of a todo when it was planned. Public meeting held at which Chair of sports committee appeared to acccept the vocal opposition expressed by a majority. Proptly went off with Hutcison reps and signed up anyway!

TBF he was probably in rock/hard place between villagers and obligations as trustee of Fields Association.
Works for me. Great signal sitting here in my living room in Norwich. I expect they are concentrating on the important parts of the country leaving the backwaters till last.

The good thing about 3 is that there is no time limit on your credit so for a low user like me the cost is fairly minimal. I must say that there is so much free wifi about these days that the amount of data I consume via the phone network is pretty small.
>> I must say
>> that there is so much free wifi about these days

Never noticed, still I suppose as a 3 user you need it.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - sooty123
>> >> I must say
>> >> that there is so much free wifi about these days
>>
>> Never noticed, still I suppose as a 3 user you need it.
>>

Yeah I found 3 to be garbage as well. When I lived in Norfolk it was hopeless, ended up getting the contract canceled and went back to T mobile. Depsite all there blurb about wonderful coverage everywhere I found it worked almost no-where.
Where did you live Sooty? Coverqge is, as I said , fine in the Norwich area with 4G available - no extra charge on 3. Rural Norfolk is problematical on most networks. Some are better in one area than another but none is perfect. What suits one person may well not work for another.

The point I was originally making is that 3 has the cheapest PAYG tarriff. If their coverage. Is not an issue for you it is quite a bargain.

Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Armel Coussine
>> Coverqge is, as I said , fine in the Norwich area with 4G available - no extra charge on 3. Rural Norfolk is problematical on most networks.

You aren't Alan Partridge are you CGN?

:o}
AHA
>> Where did you live Sooty?

Out in the wild west of Norfolk.

>>
>> The point I was originally making is that 3 has the cheapest PAYG tarriff. If
>> their coverage. Is not an issue for you it is quite a bargain.
>>

I wanted it work, but sadly it was useful as a chocolate teapot,so it had to go back. Yep if I lived in big towns and cities it might be useful, I expect that's their market.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 17:23
Not in the badlands beyond Lynn? Nothing works there. :-)

Out of interest which network did you find to have the have the best coverage ? I always thought Vodaphone was meant to be good but my wife's phone barely gets a signal here
T mobile was the best, although O2 was supposed to reasonable from others that had them.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 30 Nov 14 at 17:54
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Manatee
The new screen for my 4S was about £20 on ebay. Did it myself but there was a chap in Chesham who would do the job for £35 at the time.

The home button is just a button, held on by what looks like an oblong of black insulting tape. I don't recall what the microswitch is attached to, the speaker unit probably, but it wasn't a separate part IIRC.

>> The home button is just a button, held on by what looks like an oblong
>> of black insulting tape. I don't recall what the microswitch is attached to, the speaker
>> unit probably, but it wasn't a separate part IIRC.

the home button is not just a piece of plastic, it has the switch in it and is connected by a ribbon cable.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Armel Coussine
>> black insulting tape

Where can I purchase some of that? Sounds like useful stuff.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Manatee
>> the home button is not just a piece of plastic, it has the switch in
>> it and is connected by a ribbon cable.

It was in the 4S, but that's from memory - I'm not taking it apart again to find out!

The job was basically to remove the back, remove the battery and all the modules to get at the screws holding the screen in, get the screen off and reverse the process. The new screen didn't come with a button and I can remember peeling off the film holding it in and transferring it...if there was a ribbon cable I don't recall it. But there were quite a few ribbon cables.

I only did it for the satisfaction but if it happens again I'll probably cough up for somebody else to do it. My eyesight wasn't up to it without a loupe, which was a real fiddle.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - VxFan
>> held on by what looks like an oblong of black insulting tape.

Oblong!

Jees, we got a clip around the ear for saying that word at sckool. It's rectangular dear boy, not oblong.
 Billhooks - possible enforced phone upgrade. - Crankcase
>>
>> Jees, we got a clip around the ear for saying that word at sckool. It's
>> rectangular dear boy, not oblong.
>>

Perfectly cromulent word. Depends on whether its square or not.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Duncan
We have drifted on to costs of mobile phone contracts in various shapes.

I find the moneysupermarket.com site is pretty good. There are loads of different filters that one can use, from contracts that include purchasing the phone, down to sim only contacts - which is what I intend to use when my purchase contract matures next year.

Incidentally I use one of the cash back contracts, bit of a fag remembering to apply for the refund every few months, but worth it. I might go for the 'automatic refund' model when renewal comes up.

Link:-

tinyurl.com/okmy9hd
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - legacylad
Having just gone out of contract with EE, I want to replace my Windows phone with a 5S. However I want it unlocked because I spend several weeks a year in the USA when I just put in a PAYG sim to keep in touch with my friends. And I take lots of pics/ video on my phone so sharing the stuff on my iPad will be easier. I think I will need to buy one outright....my local EE store said that if I took out a new contract with a 5S it would not be unlocked.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - VxFan
>> my local EE store said that if I took out a new contract with a 5S it would not be unlocked.

That's because they want it tied to their network. What you need to do is go to a shop that deals with all the networks. That way most, if not all the phones they sell will be unlocked as they won't know what network it will be on until the customer specifies the one he wants.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - CGNorwich
Is that true? surely any phone that is on contract and supplied at a cost subsidised by the network will be locked to that network wherever you buy it.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Bromptonaut
>> Is that true? surely any phone that is on contract and supplied at a cost
>> subsidised by the network will be locked to that network wherever you buy it.

That certainly used to be case. My first two or three phones were sold by Carphone Warehouse but were Orange branded and locked to that network. More recent examples, for example a SOny Ericcson K750, used by Mrs B for several years but now in my car as a spare was not. It's now on Vodafone so as to give access to an alternative network.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 10:35
Just checked on Carphone site and it does indeed state that the majority of phones it sells are not locked. Useful to know

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason I want it unlocked is because of the ability to use a local SIM once overseas, and in 2015 I envisage lots of that!
I have a cheap At & T Payg phone which I bought several years ago for use exclusively in the USA, and although I accept I am not particularly good with technology, friends tell me that a 5S is a good phone to complement the iPad for sharing photos etc and face timing . Also I plan some longer trips and emailing pics etc from the phone, then having the same pics on my iPad later 'should' be much easier for a simpleton. I hope.
>> Is that true?

Well it used to be.

Let's give an example. I don't know how many networks there are these days, but for the sake of arguments, lets call it 4.

The shop would need to carry 4 times the stock to cater for the 4 separate networks, but if their stock is unlocked then they don't need to hold quite so many different models and also can grab any iPhone / Blackberry / Samsung / AN Other phone off the shelf without worrying what network it can be used on.

Tesco Mobile used to be another which had a lot of their phones unlocked. The iPhone being one of them. I'm guessing it will still be the same, mainly for the above reasons.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Dec 14 at 12:55
Just found this.

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/changing-provider/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocking/

selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c%7Bede583e0-1fa9-11df-4872-f20203001e3d%7D

Mobile Phone Tarriffs - BobbyG
Son has a historic PAYG SIM with T Mobile.
If he tops up £10 every month he gets
unlimited texts
unlimited data
and the £10 goes towards any calls he makes (he is 16 , he doesn't speak to anyone on phone).

Carphone warehouse had Black Friday deals on a Samsung S3 Mini and the prices ranged from £49.95 for a T Mobile phone to something like £80 for O2.

Got him his and when in shop asked the guy- he said they were all unlocked and it was the exact same phone no matter how much your provider was in effect making you pay for it!

On a separate note, I thought all iphones locked to the first SIM that went in them? Or is that just folklore?
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - rtj70
>> On a separate note, I thought all iphones locked to the first SIM that went in them? Or is that just folklore?

Certainly used to be Apple that controlled unlocking iPhones. But I've never had one and that may have changed. I hope it has.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 3 Dec 14 at 00:31
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - PeterS
>> >> On a separate note, I thought all iphones locked to the first SIM that
>> went in them? Or is that just folklore?
>>

I've switched SIMs between unlocked iPhones (purchased from Apple) and not experienced anything that would suggest that's true. I have a SIM only O2 contract, and have done for years, but cascading my old iPhones to my partner (Vodafone PAYG) has never been an issue.
>> On a separate note, I thought all iphones locked to the first SIM that went
>> in them? Or is that just folklore?

According to the Carphonewarehouse link I posted earlier

"iPhone is unlocked when you buy it SIM free but Apple's software means it locks to the first network you use it with."
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Roger.

>> "iPhone is unlocked when you buy it SIM free but Apple's software means it locks
>> to the first network you use it with."

Definitely an abuse of human rights and unfair treatment. Sue them :-)
So are you saying that if I buy an IPhone outright from Apple, purchase a a SIM only deal with GiffGaff, then take it to the States and put in an AT & T PAYG SIM it will not work overseas?
Sorry to labour the point, but that was the route I was about to go down, unless you clever peeps have a better solution.
If you buy an unlocked unsubsidised phone from Apple you will be Ok and will able to to do what you want to do.

kenstechtips.com/index.php/apple-iphone-when-sim-free-doesnt-mean-unlocked
Thank you CGN. You have confirmed what I thought, but best to check.
Cheaper to buy in the US, especially in a State with lower tax, but I think my travel insurance, or even my HH insurance does not cover articles bought abroad. Could be wrong though, so rather than wait till early next year when I am over there will buy from Apple UK. Just need a 10% sale now...
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - R.P.
All contract 02 iPhones are unlocked from new. Mine is on 3. It costs the same to run in the US as it does in the UK, which is cheap. (although my data is limited to 25gb a month whilst abroad)
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 4 Dec 14 at 19:10
My plan is to buy a 5S from Apple. I was hoping to get a Giffgaff SIM only deal, but there is no 02 reception in my part of the world. Everyone I know is on EE, so will investigate a SiM only deal with them.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Runfer D'Hills
What's the best deal anyone has found on a 5s ?

Son wants one for Christmas.

I've got one through O2 on a contract but he's not having one that way...

;-)
So not a contract, purely a one-off purchase?
Well, that's what I was thinking. Unless there's a better way.
Contract will usually work out cheaper if you get the right deal but need to know that son won't exceed allowances or it gets expensive?
www.uswitch.com/mobiles/deals/apple_iphone_5s_gold/
Thanks Bobby.

Thirty quid a month...

Sheesh.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - No FM2R
How old is he Dunfer?

No. 1 daughter started with a phone I bought outright, and a PAYG SIM. Most certainly not the cheapest route, but taught her usage management within about 3 months which saved me a fortune once she got to a contract, which is what she has now.
Soon be 15. Aye, maybe you're right. Thirty quid a month though. Phew.
For £15 I get unlimited calls/SMS/text with Virgin Mobile (so EE 3G). Does not include 08xx calls.

Unlimited data is unlimited. Some tariffs are not really unlimited.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Zero

>> Thirty quid a month...
>>
>> Sheesh.

Not quite sure how much you fought you would have to pay to give your lad a 500 quid phone?
I was thinking the same. Even ignoring the cost of any contracts, £20pm for 2 years is only £480.
Cheap then really
Well the cheapest iPhone 5S on Apple's UK store is £459.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Pezzer
Grade B are normally excellent:

www.smartfonestore.com/filter-mfr-Apple%20Iphone.aspx

(No connection just a happy customer)
Thanks !
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Zero
Bare in mind graded used phones usually don't come with charger or headphones.
 Mobile Phone Tarriffs - Pezzer
USB Cable yes / Headphones no
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - Zero
Ok, Solution obtained.

Tesco are doing deals, where I can get a MotoG 4g Android for nothing, and pay the same as I am paying now, with the same data text and calls plan.

I checked out the MotoG 4G and it does all I need, and after the Hudl 2 I am happy with Andoid. 4.4 - The Moto is also rumoured to have 5.0 lollipop on the way. The Moto also has a larger screen for my poor old failing eyes.

SO - I phones up O2, and I says "Give me my pac code" "Yes certainly they said, why are you leaving us"

I explain about the broken phone, about how I can get a nice new 4g android for nothing, and offer them the chance to send me a nice new MotoG 4G and I will be happy to stay.

They declined

I went to tesco 1 hour later and did the dead, have the phone in my hand, the Pac will switch on Monday.

So Bye Bye world of iPhone, didn't like the way you were going anyway.

Hello Tesco Mobile, still hate you as a company but not enough to cut my nose off to spite my face, and you are really only O2 anyway.
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - R.P.
5 Lollypops ! !

Liberated myself last year, unlocked my contract 02 iPhone bought a pay monthly SIM contract from 3....happy bunny...not sure how many lollypops it has.

02 are crap I left them after over 12 years. Would never ever go back to them. Never offered me one lollypop.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 18:13
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - CGNorwich
Have a Moto G 4G myself which I ought outright from Tesco for £135 last May. My first ever smartphone and am very impressed with it but having never owned anything else would be interested in your comparison with iPhone.

Only thing I suspect you might find not so good is the camera. It's perfectly adequate for most things but struggles a bit in poor light and you wouldn't want to print a a picture taken with it but you have a decent camera anyway.

I think the latest MotoG which is strangely not 4G gas a better camera and a bigger screen.
>> anything else would be interested in your comparison with iPhone.

Ok so here we go.

The Rationale for getting the Moto G 4g was simple, the screen on my iPhone 4 was broken, and I could move to Tesco Mobile , get this phone for free and a better Tarrif at similar price.

Comparing this phone to the iPhone 4

Hardware wise, the iPhone was a beautifully crafted piece of engineering, a delight to look at at and hold, fatally flawed in execution - the antenna issues - cured by the use of a bumper that ultimately ruined the looks but protected it admirably until I stood on it. It was reliable, albeit a trifle signal deaf and the battery lasted well - 4 years and countless charges.

The Moto G 4G (generation1) looks and feels classy in an understated way, but however does not quite have the same feel as the iPhone. The screen is larger, just right in size and brightness. The iPhone was a bit small, but i don't like "phablet" sized phones. This sits just right in the hand and in the pocket. weighs slightly less than the iPhone and about the same thickness at its thickest. (tho its thicker than my sons iphone6 - more of that later)

Battery wise its quite good, its just had 2 days 6 hours of normal use with quite a bit of mobile internet and is now demanding a charge. Better than the iPhone managed from new.

Signal sensitivity seems good. I was out and about a lot yesterday (Windsor, Chessington, Hampton Court, Shepperton). Whenever I reached for the phone I was delighted, nay astonished to see a shed load of 4g bars on the display. The extent of 4g coverage amazed me, and it was the real McCoy as well, with fast browsing speeds. Now glad I went for the 1gb data plan.

The major difference of course is the OS. Moved from IOS 7 to Android KitKat. I'm glad I dumped IOS, its all too restricting, too tied down, too limited. And it annoys me - immensely, that IThings wont use SD cards to expand storage. Classic example just exposed.

I wanted to put a ring tone on my Moto, a 3G one on my Macbook. I paired bluetooth macbook to Moto, sent the mp3 file (the iPhone would have done a "computer says no at that point*) to the phone, ran a small utility i downloaded for free from the playstore, the utility found it and converted it to a ringtone.

With the iPhone I would have had to edit the tune to the right length, load the mp3 into iTunes, change the file type, find a cable, connect to iTunes, and sync the phone. Boy Am I glad to be shot of iTunes for managing the Iphone.

So there we go, had an iPhone, enjoyed it but ultimately glad I got shot.

Summary. Tesco - good price, good signal, easy to do business with. MotoG 4G (gen1) very good phone at a better price. Don't get much better than free. Not there is a Gen 2 around shortly. Again as with all technology it pays to be trailing, not bleeding edge.

Oh and edit, the boys iPhone 6? Guess what - it bent in his pocket.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 8 Feb 15 at 15:14

>>
>> Oh and edit, the boys iPhone 6? Guess what - it bent in his pocket.

Oh and edit. Forgot to mention the camera. Its as good (i.e. not brilliant) as the one on the iPhone 4. A camera on a phone is good because it means you always have one with your for "those moments" pictures. But if you plan a picture, use a proper camera.
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - MD
I have to say that ITunes is the biggest pita ever.
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - BobbyG
Welcome to the dark side Zero, I am sure on previous "what mobile will I get threads" you always had a one-word answer that started with I and finished with phone.....
Interesting review. Is there anything that the the iphone can do that the Moto G can't or is immeasurably better at that would justify the huge premium for the Apple product?
>> Interesting review. Is there anything that the the iphone can do that the Moto G
>> can't

Not really

>>or is immeasurably better at that would justify the huge premium for the Apple
>> product?

Not really. The iPhone does have a better calendar (visually and usability), and texting app, Some of the way apps work in Android, the look, feel and icons vary from (built in) app too app. IOS does have a wonderfully consistent look and feel.

After further use, I have found the call quality (i.e. voice audio quality) is better on the iPhone than the moto g. I would guess thats a result of better mics, compression techniques and noise cancelling on the iPhone.

But at the end of the day, do I regret the move? No.
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - sherlock47
Are the Tesco MotoG 4G locked to the Tesco mobile network or to O2?

The Tesco PAYG Moto G 4G is about£40 cheaper than the unlocked version. the reason I ask is that I have an existiing O2 contract but need a new phone.......

Does your existing O2 sim work?
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - Bromptonaut
Had the MotoG since Xmas. Bought SIM free and used with my exisitng EE SIM only tariff, so limited to 3G. Don't need more than email and ocasional web on it so no need or 4G speeds

Does all I need.
>> Are the Tesco MotoG 4G locked to the Tesco mobile network or to O2?
>>
>> The Tesco PAYG Moto G 4G is about£40 cheaper than the unlocked version. the reason
>> I ask is that I have an existiing O2 contract but need a new phone.......
>>
>>
>> Does your existing O2 sim work?
dunno, but i'll do a swap and see before the pac takes affect

>> >> Does your existing O2 sim work?
>> dunno, but i'll do a swap and see before the pac takes affect

No. My O2 sim from my (unlocked ) iPhone does not work in the Tesco MotoG - (it demands a sim unlock code)

>> No. My O2 sim from my (unlocked ) iPhone does not work in the Tesco
>> MotoG - (it demands a sim unlock code)
>>

Z thanks for trying -
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - rtj70
>> Are the Tesco MotoG 4G locked to the Tesco mobile network or to O2?

I can't see how the phone can be locked to Tesco when it's really O2. Zero's problem sounds SIM related and not network.
Ignore me then Sherlock, go ahead and buy the locked tesco phone, rtj70 says it will work just fine on O2.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 21:49
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - R.P.
All 02 contract iPhones are unlocked from the start of the contract. Info buried deep inside 02's website - Tesco also piggy backs the 02 network
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - Runfer D'Hills
Surely you'd need a Waitrose SIM card for an iPhone if you're going to persist in not using a proper network? Tesco seems so much more Nokia to me...

;-)
>> Surely you'd need a Waitrose SIM card for an iPhone if you're going to persist
>> in not using a proper network? Tesco seems so much more Nokia to me...
>>
>> ;-)

The beauty of phones is no-one knows where it came from, and you never have to go near the store again.
All Tesco contract and PAYG phones are locked. They also sell an unlocked version of the MOTO G.

If you want to Tesco to unlock a phone prior to the end of the contract it will cost you £20. At the end of the contract they will unlock it for free.

www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1083-device-help/1102-using-your-device/unlock-your-tesco-mobile-phone
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - VxFan
>> All Tesco contract and PAYG phones are locked.

Pretty sure the iPhone isn't.

According to the CarPhoneWarehouse it only becomes locked to a network once the SIM has been installed and the phone configuration occurs. Prior to that it's unlocked on the shelf awaiting any old network.

selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c%7Bede583e0-1fa9-11df-4872-f20203001e3d%7D

I also posted this link earlier in the thread.

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/changing-provider/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocking/

>> All 02 contract iPhones are unlocked from the start of the contract. Info buried deep
>> inside 02's website - Tesco also piggy backs the 02 network
>>

You sure? I know all Vodaphone contract phones are unlocked, I though O2 ones were locked, unlocked free at end of contract or with an admin charge during contract. Mine certainly was locked.
Unlocked for free but you have to ask.

www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Leaving the iPhone Fold. - Kevin
>I checked out the MotoG 4G and it does all I need,

First day at new company we were shown how to setup our phones to get access to our internal email and Lync etc. A couple of folks in our team explained that they didn't have a smartphone for company business. The old company would only pay for a basic phone so they refused to use their personal smartphone for company business.

"It's a business tool", they were told "Go see Dave."

Five minutes later they came back with shiny new MotoG's.

It looks a nice phone, might go see Dave myself.
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - mikeyb
Ditched my contract phone just before xmas. Bought a sony xperia Z3 compact and went with one of threes sim only contracts

Really pleased with the phone and cost over 2 years is about £200 less than if I had the same one on contract. Made full use of threes free use in France to, so that was a nice little bonus

>> "It's a business tool", they were told "Go see Dave."
>>
>> Five minutes later they came back with shiny new MotoG's.

Impossible. You know it takes a business case and a third level managers ODB code, and access to a lotus notes database (that is not on your notes desktop and no-one will tell you the server name)

>> It looks a nice phone, might go see Dave myself.

Dave is busy sorting out a new car, might not have time.
 Leaving the iPhone Fold. - Bromptonaut
>> The Moto is also rumoured to
>> have 5.0 lollipop on the way. The Moto also has a larger screen for my
>> poor old failing eyes.

Have you got Lollipop on it yet Z?

Mine has just picked up the upgrade but as model XT1032 I think it's an earlier model than yours. Download was too big to wait for now, I'll try it overnight, but I wondered if you'd any experience of it or any bugs it might import.
tinyurl.com/nn4jes7

Motorola site with upgrade dates by model and network operator.

>> Have you got Lollipop on it yet Z?
>>
>> Mine has just picked up the upgrade but as model XT1032 I think it's an
>> earlier model than yours.

Just checked, no updates available yet
Latest Forum Posts