Non-motoring > Camera Question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 4

Camera Question - Robin O'Reliant
I have two SLR camera bodies (Film, not digital). One shows a couple of marks when looking through the viewfinder which I thought was the lens so I never actually shot a role of film through it. However, fitting the lens from that to another body and it is as clear as day, so I presume it is the mirror behind the lens that is scratched or marked.

Any tips on how to clean and polish it without risking further damage?
 Camera Question - Zero
Well as its an SLR, and its not on the lens, it wont show up on the film, so why bother doing anything?
 Camera Question - Robin O'Reliant
Good point Z, never looked at it like that. I was thinking WYSIWYG.
 Camera Question - Kevin
An SLR mirror is usually easy to clean - remove the lens and the mirror should be down and visible inside the body. It's unusual to see scratches on the mirror, it may be just an errant hair that can be dislodged with a blower-brush. If it's more stubborn, a gentle wipe with a lint-free cloth with a touch of isoprop should do it. Holding the body lens-mount down should help stop any dust/hairs falling into the body.

Don't use too much isoprop and try to keep away from the edges of the mirror - the isoprop can weaken the bond between the mirror and it's frame causing the mirror to come loose. This was a problem with some Olympus SLRs.

If the camera has interchangeable focusing screens check that first, they're much more likely to get scratched/dirty.
 Camera Question - Stuartli
My Ashai Pentax Spotmatic featured a tiny bug for some considerable time which I could watch through the viewfinder scuttling to and fro across the mirror. I presume it eventually left for another world.
Latest Forum Posts