Non-motoring > Entertaining Forum members.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 19

Entertaining Forum members.... - No FM2R
I entertained, and was entertained by, a forum member today. What a remarkably large chap, not often I feel short.

Good fun, really good fun; although I really shouldn't go out with someone who tells me its ok to have another beer.

Anybody else fancy a beer in Chile?
 Entertaining Forum members.... - Armel Coussine
I wouldn't mind.

But don't worry FMR, it's very unlikely ever to happen. You can rest easy.
Quite the contrary AC, you would be welcome.
Well, it's good to hear that. Pleasing. Alas though, it's still unlikely to happen.
 Entertaining Forum members.... - Clk Sec
May I suggest a Guess the Guest competition, with a virtual bottle of Pisco for the winner?

I think I know who it might be.
I can't remember his handle, but there is a six and a half footer in the forum. Has an improbably small car I think.
Well I didn't know there was a six and a half footer before, but there certainly is one.

S'funny really how people look in comparison to how you think they might look from their online persona.

Apparently I look pretty much as expected (stunningly good looking, I 'spect).
 Entertaining Forum members.... - Avant
"Anybody else fancy a beer in Chile?"

Or a chilli in Beer (South Devon)?
Used to go to Beer quite often, My father worked in Seaton and the family home was just outside Ottery St. Mary. I loved the area very much.

I have to say, I could really enjoy an English pint right now.
 Entertaining Forum members.... - legacylad
I do enjoy the micro brewery beers in N America, but nothing beats a hoppy pale beer served in tulip glasses, in front of a roaring fire in a village local. Gooseeye brewery Chinook springs to mind. Not exactly a session beer at 4.2%, but at £2.90 a pint it's worth having several early doors on a Monday after work.
Let me know next time your in t'Dales and I might buy you a bag of pork scratchings to go with your poured dinner.
I hope to take you up on that soon. We have some black sheep relatives in The Dales
 Entertaining Forum members.... - legacylad
t'Dales. Please.
No chance of drinking Black Sheep. Yuk. Tourist slops.
 Entertaining Forum members.... - rtj70
>> I do enjoy the micro brewery beers in N America

Enjoyed these too in Sunnyvale and San Francisco. Not visited my brother in the US for a long time. See him over here. I'm not fussed on the US.
 Time to own up - WillDeBeest
Yes, the forum member in question is the one to which your present interlocutor refers to by the perpendicular pronoun.

Great trip: nice bit of sunshine away from an English winter, productive meetings in Santiago and a bit of an insight into the place thanks to NoFM and my South American colleagues.

• The pisco sour: local eau-de-vie with lemon juice and an egg white froth. My first was a 'Peruvian' one that packed a terrific punch. The one that welcomed me aboard my LAN flight home was a bit insipid by comparison. I brought a bottle of pisco with me, so we'll see how it translates to South Oxfordshire.

• Ceviche: cubes of fish cured with lemon, salt and herbs. Quite wonderful when the fish is firm and fresh. Yum.

• Concrete and steel: there's a huge amount of new building going on, and clearly a lot of money to fund it. Not evenly distributed, of course: I was wafted to our meetings in an E63, but there are people even in the swankiest streets scratching a living from selling papers or snacks, or by wearing a Santa suit (it was 32°C yesterday) and dragging around a portable music box. And that's before you look at the shanty towns around the airport. NoFM's account of the predicament faced by the women injured in his accident kept ringing in my head; the gloss is there but not all the primer.

• Cables: yes, once NoFM had pointed them out the other week I saw bizarre and overloaded cable installations everywhere. No frazzled bodies in the streets, though, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

• Spanish: I've not spent much time in Spanish-speaking countries but I can sort of read it OK and reckoned I'd get by. Not so: anything more advanced than 'café solo' or announced my room number to the hotel's breakfast host proved pretty well beyond me. Didn't like that feeling; work to do there.

Finally, thanks to NoFM for being patient and entertaining company for an entire afternoon - even throwing in a little career consultancy. A great way to start the trip.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 4 Dec 14 at 22:07
 Time to own up - Zero

>> Finally, thanks to NoFM for being patient and entertaining company for an entire afternoon -
>> even throwing in a little career consultancy. A great way to start the trip.

Ignore him, he ended up relegated to a third world country.
 Time to own up - No FM2R
The pleasure was all mine WdB, all mine.

As for the language, the Rosetta Stone courses are, in my opinion, outstanding for the traveller.
Will check out the courses, NoFM.

I forgot to mention I have a new favourite word: bicicletero. So much more fun than 'cyclist', don't you think?
 Time to own up - Ambo
I haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about. Is there some hidden part of the forum ? I should be told.
 Time to own up - Duncan
AIUI

No FM2R lives in South America. he recently entertained at his home another forum member, to wit WillDeBeest. They were discussing, language courses. No FM2R thinks highly of the Rosetta Stone language courses.

Apropos of nothing in particular. It seems that No FM2R is a big bloke. WillDeBeest is a bigger bloke.

Is that a reasonable precis?
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 7 Dec 14 at 07:16
Not bad, Duncan. NoFM met me at my hotel in the city and we spent the afternoon on a long sightseeing walk with a couple of refreshment stops. Nice day - sunny but not hot - and plenty to see, including NoFM's home in the distance, although that wasn't part of the route.

And yes, NoFM is taller than most South Americans, and I'm a little taller still. I managed to scrape the top of my head on a low arch leaving a restaurant (sober!) later in the week.

8/10 for reading comprehension. Good effort.
Ambo, see me afterwards.
};---)
Latest Forum Posts