Non-motoring > TV "grey-out" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

TV "grey-out" - Ambo
I run my 6-year-old Panasonic Viera TV via my 5-year-old Humax Foxstat PVR. Over the past two or so months I have been getting occasional "grey-outs", where the action can he seen but through a grey fog. Sound if not affected. There is a band of light which enables subtitles to appear as normal. The effect is most often seen on adverts, where there is often a more complex pattern of light and dark bands. In either case, the cure is simply to flip to another channel and back but what could be the cause?
 TV "grey-out" - VxFan
Does it still do it without the Humax connected? i.e through the freeview that's built into the TV (presumably it has built in freeview?)

Does it still do it with any other device connected, eg VCR, DVD, games consule, etc?

Basically you've got to verify whether it's the TV or the 3rd party devices connected to it at fault.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Dec 14 at 12:52
 TV "grey-out" - No FM2R
>Basically you've got to verify whether it's the TV or the 3rd party devices connected to it at fault.

And whichever it is, is probably on the way out. I would guess its the TV.

edit: You could try fiddling with your picture adjustment. Sometimes some of the automatic settings can get a headache ad it can be worth trying something else.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 3 Dec 14 at 13:09
 TV "grey-out" - Manatee
Try breaking and remaking the connections between the two devices.
 TV "grey-out" - Old Navy
Also try a complete power off, a full reboot sometimes clears glitches.
 TV "grey-out" - Zero
Factory reset

shop.panasonic.com/docs/how-to/2013/tv/reset-procedure/How_to_Reset_your_Panasonic_Viera.swf
 TV "grey-out" - Ambo
Also connected Sony Blu-Ray player (5 years connected from new) and Apple TV (1 year but second-hand, used for Netflix only). The TV does not have built-in Freeview. I will try out remedies suggested but the problem is intermittent so hard to pin down the effective one.
 TV "grey-out" - Ambo
>>Factory reset

I can't make the link work, Zero, but the danger with this is that it deletes all recordings. In case anyone is interested, I got this from Humax support:

Following these instructions will reset some system settings including your Recording Schedule (Please replace when complete to ensure you still record favourite programmes)

Any previous recorded programmes will be saved.

Press Menu
Scroll to Setup and press OK
Scroll to Factory Reset and press OK
It will ask you if you are sure, highlight Yes and press OK
Enter your password (Default is 0000)
The box will restart
Please follow the on screen instructions to set the box up again
 TV "grey-out" - Zero
The instructions are for resetting the TV not the humax
 TV "grey-out" - Ambo
It seems to work for me. I have subtitles permanently engaged but the are disengaged by the reset.

I should have mentioned that the Schedule will be deleted come what may and has to be noted down in advance and re-entered.
Latest Forum Posts