Non-motoring > Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 21

Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Duncan
My dentist keeps nagging to see the hygienist. I am with a NHS dentist, so the charges are quite reasonable, but he wants me to pay £60? or thereabouts to have someone scrape my teeth.

I saw the hygienist several years ago, at another practice. I thought it was expensive and quite painful and I am not enamoured with the idea of doing it all again.

Should I grit my teeth and go for it? Or is it a waste of money?
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Runfer D'Hills
They are sadists.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Old Navy
>> They are sadists.
>>

Not all of them, I get my teeth done by a delightful young lady every three months. Regular attention makes it a painless ten minutes and saves a lot of dental grief in the long run.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - henry k
Go for it.
They reach the parts that others cannot.

Maybe spend £70 on a
www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/gadget/3523855/oral-b-pro-6000-smartseries-toothbrush-review/

Pro 6000 and 6500 Smart Series electric toothbrush: What you get
The Oral B Pro 6000 and 6500 Smart Series brushes come with a digital Smart Guide unit, which you can place near your bathroom sink. It wirelessly syncs with the toothbrush to give you feedback that helps you brush thoroughly and gently. In some ways this does everything you need in checking you complete a full clean.
You also get three additional brush heads and a neat travel case.
Its companion smartphone app has a brushing Timer, visual pressure alert that warns you when you are brushing too hard, and a quadrant prompt that tells you after 30 seconds to change the quadrant, or area, of your mouth.
Brushing modes
The Pro 6000 features five brushing modes: Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive, Whitening (with surface polishing brush head), and Deep Clean (with Micro Pulse interdental brush head). The Pro 6500 has an extra tongue-brushing mode.

Download the Oral-B app for iPhone or Android. The brush wirelessly syncs with the app via Bluetooth. It gets even smarter than that as the app uses the smartphone’s microphone to detect the sound frequency of the Pro brush. This also works with Oral-B’s TriZone brush series.

The main part of the app is the Brush Timer that guides you through each quadrant of your mouth.
You can customise the timer if you or your dentist thinks a particular section of the mouth needs special attention.
Your brushing statistics are kept in the app, and you are rewarded with trophies for brushing regime compliance. It’s another example of how technology monitoring our daily lives – like activity trackers, creating the quantified self.
The app also has dental health and brushing tips, and will even locate your nearest dentist.
While you’re using the brush the app can display the latest news and weather forecasts, or just show off attractive National Geographic images.

your choice:-)

Disclaimer : I have no connection with this company and am waiting to see what Santa flies in with.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - CGNorwich

>>
>> Should I grit my teeth?

Probably not - ask your dentist. :-)
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Armel Coussine
They make you bleed by scraping tartar off your teeth, exposing the top end of the root because the tartar is the only thing holding them in when you've neglected them really consistently. Then they stick the probe into a carious place and hit the nerve deep inside, saying with great satisfaction as you squirm and grip the chair-arms: 'That one's got to come out I'm afraid,' and reaching for that really huge syringe with the thick bone-piercing needle and selecting an industrial-sized capsule of lignocaine or whatever. I really hated those probes when I had teeth.

Happy days, eh?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 5 Dec 14 at 17:54
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Alastairw
I once had a client who was a self employed dental hygienist. Her name was Ms Payne. Nominative predetermination at work.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Boxsterboy
My wife is a dentist and recommends her patients see her hygienist if they need it - and not just for the money it earns her. Good dental condition often dependson it apparently.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Runfer D'Hills
We had a fairlly ill tempered and often violent teacher at school by the name of Mr Hunt. No one ever did get to find out his real first name as he was always known as Warwick.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Bromptonaut
>> We had a fairlly ill tempered and often violent teacher at school by the name
>> of Mr Hunt. N

Mrs B and I both know different people called Michael Hunt.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Lygonos
>>Mrs B and I both know different people called Michael Hunt.

Both of whom are marginally more fortunate than this chappie....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkpld_uinE
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - legacylad
Why? Are they icy
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - legacylad
Why, are they icy?
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Zero
Is it safe?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-OviftusB8
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Cliff Pope
Recently my hygienist commented on my impressive array of crowns and bridges, and I remarked that there should be no difficulty being identified by the forensic people then.
He said he used to do that work, mainly identifying people after plane crashes, but it got him down in the end, looking at burnt remains of human jaws, so he became a dental hygienist instead.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Ted

My man with the mole wrench was totally brutal with the plaque scraper. I think he used to stick it in your gum before he made his play ! Retired this year, we now have a Greek guy who's a lot more careful. An advantage is the attractive young receptionist who came with him.

Not that the scraping bothers me one jot or tittle. I got me new bottom set a fortnight ago ( six injections, no sedation and all but me two canines out in 30 seconds ) so dental hygiene means taking both sets out and cleaning them with a stiff nailbrush and soap under a running hot tap. It doesn't seem to affect the Bakelite !

Slap 'em back in and off we go....job done...I commend it !
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Dave
Here you have to see the hygienist before you get to see a real dentist. It's a good way to take another 60 notes off you. You go there with toothache, she takes a look, tells you you have a hole, and makes a 'plan' for the dentist.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - BobbyG
Depending on appointments, my dentist will do the hygienist bit at my six monthly checkup or refer me to the hygienist if time doesn't permit.

But I am pretty sure its nearer £20 for it than £60
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - VxFan
The only part of the hygienist I don't like is when she occasionally uses an ultrasonic wash to really blast the muck off between the teeth. It's like a mini pressure hose inside your mouth. If she doesn't get the sucker thing in quite the right place you end up nearly choking on the water spray.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Ambo
>>> I am with a NHS dentist

So am I and the practice threatens to expel patients who don't keep up to date with routine checks and routine cleaning. I have to go for cleaning quarterly as I have a pacemaker. This rules out using supersonic tools and half yearly visits would involve too much work for my comfort.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Alastairw
I haven't been to the dentist since 1999. Practice I was registered with went bust (amazing, considering the fees they milk from the NHS) and I never got round to re registering. So long as my nashers don't hurt its going to stay that way. Don't see the point of paying someone to tell me what I already know, or just generating work for himself.
 Dental Hygienist - Yes or No? - Duncan
>> >>> I am with a NHS dentist
>>
>> So am I and the practice threatens to expel patients who don't keep up to date with routine checks and routine cleaning.>>

My practice hasn't been quite as explicit as that, but there is a fair bit of pressure.
Latest Forum Posts