Non-motoring > Who has a sweet tooth? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 16

Who has a sweet tooth? - Roger.
I find, as I get older, that much sweet "stuff" is far too sickly for me.
Is this usual?
BTW, my wife came home yesterday with a box of butter fudge with cranberries soaked in cognac.
In this case, the tartness of the berries really offset the sweetness of the fudge and we scoffed the lot - only 150 gm - in double quick time.
You may not be surprised, knowing our patronage of the shop, that it came from ALDI!
 Who has a sweet tooth? - sooty123
>> I find, as I get older, that much sweet "stuff" is far too sickly for
>> me.
>> Is this usual?

I believe so, as you get older your taste buds change. So I think it is normal.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - Runfer D'Hills
Never have really, not a great fan of anything you might call sweets or chocolate. Never been one for puds either.

Cashew nuts however, I'd certainly fight and possibly kill for cashew nuts.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - No FM2R
I find the frequency of my sweet tooth has massively declined.

However, when it occurs, the severity is unchanged. Got a bag of Werthers from my sister about 3 months ago and hadn't touched them. On Saturday I ate the lot. Along with 4 twix.

And half a packet of Ginger Nuts.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - commerdriver
Anything with an opened packet is unfair to count in this discussion. I too find I am eating less chocolate overall but have the same problem as Mark if there is an opened bar of chocolate within reach.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - Runfer D'Hills
I'll sometimes empty the entire contents of a bag of mixed nuts and raisins into the cup holder in the car before a long journey.

It does though behove you to avoid sudden movements later in the day.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - legacylad
Runfer, does your like of cashews mirror your affection for the Quashai ? Sounds similar that's all. Are you a Quashai nut?
 Who has a sweet tooth? - Bromptonaut
Less keen on really sweet stuff; gradual change over 20+ yrs. Like Roger's example something tart to offset the sweet can make a difference with sweets - like those cherry'n'dark chocolate things that come out at Xmas.

OTOH the double portion of bread pudding today, first as a breakfast subst and then to follow lunch sandwich, was excellent. Never been into a Greggs before but they're almost next to CAB.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - Robin O'Reliant
I eat half a bar of chocolate after my dinner, every day without fail.

Talking of food, there was someone on the radio the other day saying the best way to control food intake is to eat your desert before dinner as the sweet taste kills the appetite.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - legacylad
Strangely I only ever eat chocolate after a curry. A few pints early doors straight from work, then a Sainsburys chicken jalfrezi with spinach pilau and a naan, then aCadburys Twirl or similar.
Washed down with a pint glass of water, ice & a slice.

The Sainsburys £7 curries off the deli counter are very nice. Two curries, two sides and a plain naan. The king prawn and jalfrezi are my favourites. Half of Asda's 16 piece Indian Sharing Feast @ £3 if I'm hungry, with a small tub of Asda's Raita yoghurt.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - Armel Coussine
I've never had much self-control so it's fortunate that I seldom want much of anything these days. Seems to have been a natural process, I hope not the precursor to anything grave and frightening. That applies to chocolate and sweeties as much as anything.

Herself is quite keen on chocolate and the other day I got her a small bar of classy dark chocolate and a Yorkie bar with raisins and bits of biscuit that I sort of fancied a bit of myself, although it was too-sweet milk chocolate (plain Yorkies exist I think).

To my surprise herself had a small bit of the classy stuff and then scoffed most of the Yorkie, although I got two bits.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - BiggerBadderDave
I don't like cake or sweet stuff. Chocolate is ok but I'd never actually choose it myself and buy it and anyway it has to come from the freezer so it snaps when you break it - I can't eat half melted mushy warm stuff. I take it or leave - or I thought until a few days ago wifey bought 15 chocolate Santas about 7 inches tall. They're only 20p each. If she leaves one in the freezer I'll nibble one. Then a bit more. Then a bit more. She bought another 15. And then another 15. I know she's stashing them somewhere like a squirrel and I can't find them but when the family comes and bring all their kids they'll sniff it out and there won't be any left.
Plain chocolate creams with candied rose and violet petals on top... those are the things. Not cheap but worth it, really worth it. You can't eat all that many of those even.

They sometimes have them in the classy wine merchant down the road. Bendick's minty things too.

I'm still surprised by herself going for that Yorkie. Post-anaesthesia sugar lack perhaps... it wasn't really like her.

She's resigned to not reading much for a month and says only daylight will do really. At the moment she's watching some sort of awful early black-and-white SF movie on the box with a fire going. She's allowed wine tonight and I'll go in there in 40 minutes and pour her a ceremonial medium one, if she hasn't jumped the gun that is.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - NortonES2
"Plain chocolate creams with candied rose and violet petals on top"

Where from?

Might be a bit rarified in Derbyshire:)
>> At the moment she's watching some sort of awful early black-and-white SF movie on the box

In the interests of strict accuracy, I had that wrong. It was actually a 1930s very lavish musical production by a Hollywood director of Shakespeare's very weird play A Midsummer Night's Dream. It had several big-name stars who weren't big names then but had small credits. Puck was played (very well) by a growling 12-year-old or thereabouts Mickey Rooney, but a large number of the players had familiar-looking mugs from many old British and US movies. Of course there were dozens of blonde chorus girls playing fairies, imps and so on.

I came back into the main room and watched the last hour or so. It was a strange production, both violent and caressing, and often extremely funny. Always a good sign when one gets the Bard's jokes.
 Who has a sweet tooth? - Pat
>> chocolate Santas about 7 inches tall.<<

That brings back memories of being stuck on a disused air field just outside of Louth all night waiting to load in the morning.

Five of us had no way of getting anywhere for food so we pooled our resources and had a cook up, consisting of tins of Irish Stew, new potatoes, soup, and chilli, followed by tins of Ambrosia creamed rice. We pooled our alcohol stash as well, which resulted in a bit of mixing the grape and the grain.

One lorry had got loaded but had run out of time to go anywhere and we realised he had Chocolate Santas on, so we raided a box from the middle of a pallet and then worried we might get found out.

Someone (wasn't me, Guv) suggested we could carefully unwrap them and bite 'strategic' bits off them, wrap them up again and put the box back, which we did scoring points for body parts!

Seems very silly now but faced with 15 dark hours on a spooky airfield miles from anywhere with no food, it gives a new meaning on making the best of a bad job.

Pat
 Who has a sweet tooth? - MD
Made me grin Pat. Lovely...
Latest Forum Posts