Non-motoring > ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 21

ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - MD
To the Dr/s. here. Does alcohol affect/diminish the efficacy of anti biotics particularly Clarithromycin? If so is there a period where it would be acceptable to imbibe a little? 'tis Christmas you know!!
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Slidingpillar
Drinking lots of anything dilutes the effect, so necking pints of orange juice will have an effect.
But the question is better asked of a doctor as some antibiotics are affected by alcohol, and some aren't. Certainly the one I was prescribed in Scotland was ok with a bit of alcohol as I asked the prescribing doctor.

However, that was in the days when four pints a night was ok and now two causes tut tutting. And as anyone who researches the figure knows, it was plucked from nowhere with no scientific backing whatsoever.

Oops, just seen the question was asked of doctors - sorry!
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 11 Dec 14 at 15:59
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Pat
Google is you friend MD

>>Can I drink alcohol if I am taking clarithromycin?

Drinking alcohol in moderation is unlikely to interact with clarithromycin or cause additional side effects.
<<

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Thu 11 Dec 14 at 16:01
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Haywain
I understood that if you were taking clarithromycin, you weren't allowed to drink for the rest of your life.
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - tyrednemotional
>> I understood that if you were taking clarithromycin, you weren't allowed to drink for the
>> rest of your life.
>>

......which is unlikely to be very long.......
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Lygonos
Jings, that's a bad bout of gonorrhoea.

Alcohol must be avoided with metronidazole (flagyl) - it doesn't do much with other antibiotics.

RTFM

ps. it's generally recommended not to take statins along with clarithromycin in case that's an issue.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 11 Dec 14 at 18:06
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Armel Coussine
>> Jings, that's a bad bout of gonorrhoea.

Thanks so much for the reminder Lygonos. Gone but never forgotten... for a short time in the mid-sixties I was collecting parking tickets from outside my shrink's flat and James Pringle House - the central London clap clinic staffed by very good and efficient male nurses most of whom appear to be homosexual - in rapid succession.

Clap is very, very disagreeable, not painful exactly but far nastier than (e.g.) malaria although less life-threatening.
>> Clap is very, very disagreeable, not painful exactly but far nastier than (e.g.) malaria although less life-threatening.

Another very bad thing about clap, since my time just about although I was a bit worried for a little while and I wasn't alone in that, is that it acts as a vector for the transmission of HIV, there being a thorough exchange of body fluids through the lesions and sores, not immediately perceptible to the worried sufferer, resulting more or less immediately from a case of gonorrhea.

So from being a minor inconvenience easily removed with a bit of tetracycline or something, clap has become a potential killer in the modern age.

Makes you think, what?
Cover your stump, before you hump

And other such Australianisms.
Yup, condoms for all, free in the third world.
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Roger.

>> Clap is very, very disagreeable, not painful exactly but far nastier than (e.g.) malaria although less life-threatening.

Do you remember the clap notices in public bogs - directing worried itchers to the clap hospital - St. Mary's, Paddington?
>> >> I understood that if you were taking clarithromycin, you weren't allowed to drink for the
>> >> rest of your life. ......Which is unlikely to be very long.......
>>
And which support group do you work for Mr. Motion? 0:-)
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Haywain
"And which support group do you work for Mr. Motion? 0:-)"

It's the FJPA.

The Fruit Juice Producers' Alliance

;-)
Hee hee....
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - tyrednemotional
doh....it was an attempt at incremental humour about the need for antibiotics, rather than the need for (propensity to) drink.

In any case, who would *want* to live for long if, as in the quoted passage, you weren't allowed to drink for the rest of your life.

(except, of course, members of the FJPA ;-) )
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - RattleandSmoke
It depends on the type, I can't remember what they were called but if it says "alcohol should be avoided" then two or three pints at the weekend did my treatment no harm, if it says "must be avoided" then I simply didn't drink at all.

ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Mapmaker
What are Clarithrotraps for?

They're for catching Clarithromycin.
+1 for enforced euthanasia
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Runfer D'Hills
I avoid going to the doctors. The depressing beggars just tell you you're ill. Well you knew that or you wouldn't be there. Can they fix it? Usually not so why bother.

;-)
 ANTI BIOTICS/ALCOHOL - Skip
>> I avoid going to the doctors. The depressing beggars just tell you you're ill. Well
>> you knew that or you wouldn't be there. Can they fix it? Usually not so
>> why bother.

My mother hasn't seen a doctor for herself since she was pregnant with me - and i'm 52 ! Her mother was exactly the same. She used to say "keep out of the doctors, no good comes of going there".
I too cower from the quacks. I have a terrible feeling I know what they're going to say and do. I don't want to see them, although they're perfectly all right and there's even a winsome young woman among them, and from what I read in the comic they'd much rather not see me, or anyone of my age.

I too may be perfectly all right give or take the odd minor symptom. It's a bit like maintaining an old car, if you can be bothered. So far so good I often think, and my threescore and ten will be threescore and twenty in four years or less. 'A reasonable innings,' they'll say as I lie there stark and dead. Whenever that may be of course.

Don't really fancy the role of drooling gibbering dotard somehow. Call me picky but I'm funny like that.
>>and my threescore and ten will be threescore and twenty in four years or less. 'A reasonable innings,' they'll say as I lie there stark and dead.

That's 7/6 then please.
Latest Forum Posts