Non-motoring > Some Astonishing Photographs Legal Questions
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 12

Some Astonishing Photographs - Robin O'Reliant
This link was posted on another forum, some of the pictures here are breathtaking.

www.buzzfeed.com/matthewtucker/the-most-astonishing-photos-that-won-awards-in-2014#.ekzPDjQ37
 Some Astonishing Photographs - Ambo
Astonishing indeed.
 Some Astonishing Photographs - MD
Thank you RR.
Last edited by: MD on Sun 21 Dec 14 at 15:31
 Some Astonishing Photographs - Armel Coussine
Yes, several really amazing shots. The one I liked best was of the Tuareg geezer having a kip on top of a big dune in the Tassili region of southern Algeria, because I've been there. I don't mean on that very spot of course, the size of southern Algeria is vast, but somewhere in the same region with very similar landscapes.

From the point of view of traction and ease of progress in a vehicle or on foot, deep dry sand is as bad as bottomless mud. Saharan drivers have to know what they're doing because you can die if you get properly stuck in the wrong place. They look for lost vehicles from the air but they don't always find them.
 Some Astonishing Photographs - Old Navy
While we were in Norway recently we were extremely fortunate with both the weather, clear an still, and a good display of the Northern Lights over a period of a week or so. Mrs ON is a keen photographer and took about 1,000 photos, of which she says about half a dozen are any good. I carried the tripod and consumed a lot of hot chocolate and other warming fluids. Rum seems to mix well with the chocolate. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Dec 14 at 17:46
 Some Astonishing Photographs - John Boy
I think these are pretty astonishing too: tinyurl.com/pv8n3eu

It's a technique I don't recall seeing before, but it's very accurate.

Some Astonishing Photographs - BobbyG
I see so many photographs on the web now that have been taken and then passed through a load of "photoshop" type programs to enhance this, that and the next thing.

Just totally ruins it for me.
 Some Astonishing Photographs - smokie
Yeah I must say that crossed my mind when looking at those shots. But they are still awesome pictures.
It crossed my mind too. It seems to me that sometimes it's just not necessary. I've spent a lot of time, over the last few years, taking photos on the shingle beach at Dungeness in Kent. When I look at other peoples' efforts on the internet I'm often staggered at what they've done to their photos in Photoshop. If you've chosen the right lighting conditions, viewpoint and composition, there's no need to do anything to enhance the photos - it's such a weird and wonderful place in itself. I can understand why Derek Jarman wanted to spend the last years of his life there.

Photoshop plays a part in the photos I linked to above, but it's just a small part. It's explained in relation to a different set of photos here: tinyurl.com/mrhcmbn

Some Astonishing Photographs - Ted

I can't remember if I got these off C4P or somewhere else.

Same as John Boy's but click on the left and drag the mouse across. Stunning accuracy.

interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday
Yes, they're by the same photographer and even more impressive. The important thing for me is that Photoshop made these images possible, as opposed to being used to tart them up.
 Some Astonishing Photographs - wokingham
Delightful RR - thank you. I think my favourite is the pride of lions resting Serengeti. B/W works well on that too
 Some Astonishing Photographs - PhilW
Yep, some fantastic photos RoR.
I stopped looking when it got to the "Wildlife Photographer of the Year" 'cos a visit to the exhibition at Nat Hist Museum is our Chrissy Present from kids again this year, didn't want to pre-empt it!.
Went last year, very crowded but wonderful photos and good fun ranking our own choices against the judges! Especially during a few glasses of wine and nice meal afterwards!
Incidentally, would Photo-shopping be allowed in a competition like that?
I understand that there are programs available which detect Photo-shopping?
Another incidentally! The photos of London past and present reminded me that my Dad and I went over to France many times (1990s - 2000s) to research Grandad's WW1 diaries. He had lots of photos from 1918 and from a return visit in 1929 (you'd be amazed at how little had changed - he even found ammunition boxes by the side of a road in Villers-Bret that his Artillery Battery had left there in 1918)
Anyway, we tried to take photos in the exact spot that he had taken them and I put them on a WW1 Forum. One of the guys there combined them like the London photos - brilliant!
Thanks for links - wish I had the skills (eye?) to take photos that even got close.
P
Latest Forum Posts