Non-motoring > Powerpack Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 19

Powerpack - Mapmaker
Need a powerpack that will recharge maybe half a dozen iPhones and an iPad. (Not all at once, just in sequence.) Anybody have any experience and recommendation?

Thanks.
 Powerpack - Zero
>> Need a powerpack that will recharge maybe half a dozen iPhones and an iPad. (Not
>> all at once, just in sequence.) Anybody have any experience and recommendation?
>>
>> Thanks.

You'll need to refine that. By power pack do you mean a portable one that itself needs to be re-charged. Because if you do and you want 6 charges out of it in sequence you can whistle.
 Powerpack - Mapmaker
Yes, a portable one.

Really? I have a promotional one that will give one charge and is the size of a (large) cigar. Lidl were selling similar for about a fiver-ish in a brochure I saw recently. Assumed there'd be bigger ones about.
 Powerpack - Manatee
The ipad is the challenge. At c. 40 watt hours will take just about all the capacity of the thing I linked to. Alternatively it might manage half a dozen iphones depending on how flat they are to start with.

Depends what you call portable. A car starter pack with 12V output and a nominal 12Ah would give you 25-30 Ah @ 4.5-5 volts, enough for say 120 watt hours . An iphone battery is c.6 watt hours so it should do what you want if it's anywhere near the quoted 12 Ah spec.

Assuming my mental arithmetic works of course.

Powerpack - Manatee
I've just ordered one of these as a present for my son

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EP6SA6Q
 Powerpack - Fursty Ferret
>> Need a powerpack that will recharge maybe half a dozen iPhones and an iPad. (Not
>> all at once, just in sequence.) Anybody have any experience and recommendation?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

www.amazon.co.uk/Poweradd-TravelMate-24000mAh-Portable-SmartPhones/dp/B00JPB8886/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419249690&sr=8-3&keywords=24000+mah+portable+battery

This will do it.

iPad: 12000mAh
iPhones: 1440 * 6 = 8400mAh

There are cheaper ones - but (a) they're almost certainly fibbing about the capacity and (b) unless you're prepared to sit and stare at it while it recharges from the mains you'll never be able to charge it in comfort.

Doubt Chinese manufacturers particularly care about Li-Ion thermal runaway or safe charger design.
 Powerpack - Mapmaker
>>Doubt Chinese manufacturers particularly care about...

Ah. I was just about to click 'buy' on two of these on eBay, from China, 20Ah, £10 each. Perhaps you're right.

That Poweradd one at £60 for 24Ah compares unfavourably with the one Manatee linked at £24 for 14Ah.

Intrigued as to why Zero thinks it's not possible?

Powerpack - Zero
>> Intrigued as to why Zero thinks it's not possible?

You buy it, then charge 6 flat iPhones and a pad consecutively and then come back back say "I told you so"

I shan't be expecting your note.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 12:34
 Powerpack - Mapmaker
Any chance of answering the 'why?' part of my question? Will they just not deliver the promised output at all, or is there some other point you're making?

Powerpack - Zero
for lots of technical reasons you will not get portability and 6 iPhone charges and one iPad charge.

Powerpack - Mapmaker
>>for lots of technical reasons you will not get portability and 6 iPhone charges and one iPad charge.

So if one of these things will do a single iPad charge, or alternatively 6 iPhone charges then I just need two of them?
 Powerpack - Mapmaker
>> >>for lots of technical reasons you will not get portability and 6 iPhone charges and
>> one iPad charge.
>>
>> So if one of these things will do a single iPad charge, or alternatively 6
>> iPhone charges then I just need two of them?

Zero?
 Powerpack - Zero
yes?

well you will double your charging ability, and halve your portability.

In answer to your question - probably got more chance of doing what you want.
 Powerpack - smokie
Why not just get one and see how it goes?
 Powerpack - Mapmaker
Thanks. Portability not an issue.
 Powerpack - Zero
>> Thanks. Portability not an issue.

thepowersite.co.uk/evopower-evo1000i-1kw-inverter-generator/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAiamlBRCgj83PiYm6--gBEiQArnojD70Il8AxB5YCLbfJYHhNv2_i3GtXc99PZoHY38rL6UMaAsWS8P8HAQ#!prettyPhoto
 Powerpack - Mapmaker
Thanks, but it will be used indoors and needs to be silent.
 Powerpack - MD
He's usually right, but WTF do I know? Just Bricks and Mortar me. :0-)
 Powerpack - smokie
These went down to £11.99 a few weeks back with some promotional code so I snapped one up.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

Certainly has charged my Xperia Z a few times without being recharged but not always from empty.

Rated at 22400mAH
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 14:05
 Powerpack - RattleandSmoke
It is all down to physics, the more capacity the more cells will be required and it will become so heavy it will no longer be portable. Never buy stuff like this imported from China, it £20 saving is not worth the risk of carrying around a potential lithium bomb.

I personally recommenced a brand called Anker. There is nothing wrong with the stuff been made in China but we have to put a lot of trust that importer does care about the standard of stuff they are selling.
Latest Forum Posts