Non-motoring > Bespoke Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 28

Bespoke - Armel Coussine
The youngest descendant gave me for Christmas seven full-sized fine cotton handkerchiefs, each with my first-name initial embroidered in one corner in dotted-line stitch, in different colours in each case.

I'm using the Tuesday one it seems - a blue initial. Monday is green. Apparently I have failed to consult the key inside the card that came with the hankies. I explained though that I often keep handkerchiefs for more than a day anyway except when doing mechanical work. It's extravagant to use a clean one every day. Bertie Wooster stuff. The nipper took that very well.
 Bespoke - Ian (Cape Town)
Hankies with an initial? Armel, that is so 'school laundry' it is silly. Tis a snotrag, after all.
 Bespoke - Bromptonaut
Cannot remember when I last used a cotton handkerchief. Tissues or kitchen roll for at least 20yrs.
 Bespoke - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah but you're some kinda commie or something right?

;-)
 Bespoke - henry k
>> Cannot remember when I last used a cotton handkerchief. Tissues or kitchen roll for at least 20yrs.
>>
Only a cotton handkerchief with the corners knotted will suffice to keep blokes bonce from sunburn - or so I am informed .
 Bespoke - Armel Coussine
>> that is so 'school laundry' it is silly. Tis a snotrag, after all.

I've still got a couple of those, with proper Gorringes labels on them.

But these snotrags have been modified with affectionate enthusiasm and effort by a child I'm absurdly fond of. It may seem silly to some but I don't care, capisce?
Armel, I understand totally. As a gift, tis sacred. As a practical implement... well. The thought counts, and I'm sure for years to come (and I sincerely hope you are with us for many years to come) you'll make sure you have a monogrammed hanky every time you visit the donor.
 Bespoke - Armel Coussine
I thought you probably did understand Ian. And at least I'm keeping my germs to myself, not leaving horrid bits of stiffened, germ-laden tissue all over the place to give everyone else my diseases.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 16:08
 Bespoke - henry k
>> And at least I'm keeping my germs to myself, not leaving horrid bits of stiffened,
>> germ-laden tissue all over the place to give everyone else my diseases.
>>
And a kitchen roll does distort the cut of ones suit.
Do you wear a bowler? Still burns me - some chap/chappess honking and/or hawking in public. Then gobbing something into the street.
 Bespoke - Dutchie
Some gifts you keep.I've got plenty of wrist watches accumulated over the years from one son.

Daughter got me a posh hand made shaving gear set Sheffield steel.All nice things which I enjoy from good kids.
 Bespoke - Ted

I was presented with an ' Etihad ' T shirt with Manchester City's coat of arms on it for my birthday today. I don't know when I'll wear it..it's a bit tribal living a mile from the so called ' Theatre of Dreams '

If I go near Old Trafford with it on I'll be liable to summary execution with my head used as a ball in their next match.

Still, the two bockles of single malt will be used. Well, you're not 'Soixante-Neuf ' every day.
I dunno, Ted - the average bloke who wears a Chevrolet-branded shirt lives in Surrey, I believe.
 Bespoke - Robin O'Reliant
I got a pair of socks with my name on them.

So there.
 Bespoke - Runfer D'Hills
Your real name Mark Spencer? Or maybe George?

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 19:36
 Bespoke - MD
L and R in the Wellies.
 Bespoke - MD
C and A in the Wife's undies.
 Bespoke - Fullchat
Yeah I know :)))
 Bespoke - Ted

I did get the obligatory birthday sox. 'Granpa is great' on them. Probably referring to my size !
 Bespoke - henry k
>> I got a pair of socks with my name on them.
>>
As a joke I got a pack of three pairs of socks from my son. "Original Penguin" brand.
John Snow of Channel four would love them. Each pair have a wide variety of coloured bands on them but not my name. :-( .

I now read on the box " We are proud to design collections for people with such great intellect, style and humour."
That sounds good but they are an American brand.
p.s I need to wear them with sandals to show off their full beauty.
Last edited by: henry k on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 23:04
 Bespoke - Ted

I haven't owned a pair of sandals since I was about 10. Nor will I in the future.

Black Oxfords, 3 piece suit, wing collar and tie are gentleman's beach wear !

Well, if it's good enough for Prince Chuck....etc !
 Bespoke - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I've still got a couple of those, with proper Gorringes labels on them.
>>

Obviously an upmarket variant of the ubiquitous "Cash's " that we used.
On day one we were all told to make sure we had Cash's name tags sewn into our clothes and kit. There happened to be a boy in the school called Cash.

Please Sir, said one wag, Won't it be a bit confusing if we all have Cash's name in our clothes?
 Bespoke - Ambo
I feel uncomfortable if I don't carry a multifunction handkerchief. As one paper tissue manufacturer used to claim, "For almost any little cleaning job, one is usually all you need".
 Bespoke - PhilW
According to the rather nice socks my daughter gave me my name is "Fatface"
They are very cosy, woolly and long.......so I like them!
 Bespoke - PeterS
I think I've now left it long enough to say that there was a time, before my time I hasten to add, when coloured hankies had an entirely different meaning ;-)
 Bespoke - legacylad
Did a red hankie indicate you had got a bloodied nose?
I always use a good quality white cotton hankie. Preferably with my initial on. Cannot stand paper tissues. Don't have names on my socks though, although a pal of mine advertises a brand of crisp type things made from sub standard tatties.
 Bespoke - Runfer D'Hills
Tangentially, I have just remembered that I used to favour brightly coloured Argyle socks. Haven't had any for years. I may have to address that.
 Bespoke - henry k
>> I have just remembered that I used to favour brightly coloured Argyle socks.
>> Haven't had any for years
>>
I used to wear long Argyle socks with plus twos when bike riding in my teens.
 Bespoke - Westpig
>> Tangentially, I have just remembered that I used to favour brightly coloured Argyle socks. Haven't
>> had any for years. I may have to address that.
>>
Like these?

tinyurl.com/pbg8x28

tinyurl.com/pmfuh9g
Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 00:07
Latest Forum Posts