Non-motoring > Happy New Year Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 66

Happy New Year - zippy
As I shall be otherwise occupied later on: Wishing you all a Happy New Year!
 Happy New Year - MD
Yes, all the best to the Herbert's here. Have a good one, one and all and don't drink all of my Hobgoblin. Me, I'm staying in and shall continue to try and rid myself of this snotty fluey bug thing that has pervaded my life for the last week. Her indoors has had it for 4 weeks now. Not nice. The bug that is, not 'er! :-0)
 Happy New Year - rtj70
Happy New Year everyone. I certainly hope mine is better than the last few months. At least I hope to get to Greece at the end of March (Crete) and beginning of May (Lesvos).... what could go wrong there :-)

And Martin, Aldi of late have had various decent (IMO) beers in at lowish prices. I got a few bottles of Old Peculiar. They might have had Hobgoblin. Both were cheaper than I'd normally expect them to be in a major supermarket.

Cheers everyone!
 Happy New Year - sooty123
>, Aldi of late have had various decent (IMO) beers in at lowish prices.
>> I got a few bottles of Old Peculiar. They might have had Hobgoblin. Both were
>> cheaper than I'd normally expect them to be in a major supermarket.

Hobgoblin was £1.25 last night in Aldi. Not sure how much OP was.
 Happy New Year - Ian (Cape Town)
18h45 here. I've got the kettle-barbeque up to heat, left 3 briquettes in it, will fire up later, and then we'll hammer a few steaks, garlic bread and boerwors.
 Happy New Year - Ateca chris
Il say happy new year to all now because i will be bed asleep by midnight, got to be up at 3.30 to go and deliver newspapers. Hope to home and back in bed by 7.30, half the shops on my round are shut.
 Happy New Year - Ted

I've got Martin's lurgy. Coffing meself silly all day...it came on yesterday evening. Ribs and diaphragm hurting now. Paracetamol, whisky and Jewish antibiotics haven't helped a lot.

Huddled in me chair all afto and watched 'The Dirty Dozen' Hot bath later.

A good New Year to all the forum reprobates here !
 Happy New Year - MD
If you've got what I've got its a bit of a Bu****. One day you get up and think, my, I feel a tad brighter and you slowly go about yer chores and then it is like some swine has come and removed your batteries, literally, it all goes flat. It's not like 'real' Flu where you cannot move for muscle ache, but it's certainly very difficult to do much. Mine is that bad that I've missed one of the best shoots of the year and tomorrow's, if indeed I go, will only be for half of the morning, more out of spite to the Lurgy than anything else. It's easy feeling like this to curl up in to a ball and give in. I can see how many old and infirm folk can succumb.

On a happier note and if you like Well's Brewery's Bombadier then check out Tesco. Often they will be selling 4 cans of 500ml x 2= 8 for...............£8.00. It is a bargain at that and to be fair tastes not much different than draught or indeed glassed bottled. £1.14 per pint equivalent.

Once again best to all.........MD.
 Happy New Year - BobbyG
Out of curiosity did any of you Flu victims take the flu jag this year?
 Happy New Year - MD
>> Out of curiosity did any of you Flu victims take the flu jag this year?
>>
My old Guvnor had a Jag that flew!
 Happy New Year - MD
Seriously though my Wife did and I didn't and I stayed clearer for longer. I never want it if I can avoid as there are well documented issues with it. I know that the % is small but yer takes yer choice.
 Happy New Year - Armel Coussine
I always get the injection. A friend the same age as me died after getting flu a few years ago. It's true he had bad habits, but they weren't all that much worse than mine. Makes you think, something like that.
 Happy New Year - MD
In bed as of now. Her behind the doors has commandeered the wood burner, the large TV and the chaise lengthy thing and is watching crap program's. I am semi recumbent, avec Scotch and tickling the bits on my new IPad mini 2. I shall switch on the wireless when I have spare hand. The wind is blowing fair (outside) and I consider I may be in the best place. Cheers to all.....
 Happy New Year - Roger.
In comfort mode - PJs and dressing gown, slurping on a Lindt Lindor and watching stuff on the laptop.
New Year? Bah humbug - it's just a man made date.
 Happy New Year - Zero
Prosseco in the Fridge ready for the "boing" hour, I am currently playing with my new huddle, installed Kindle on it and bought a new book, nicole is watching some map and lucia shiesse on TV, the dog has gone to bed.

Expect the dog will be up and about looking for some agro when the bangs start.

Oh And Happy new Year.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 21:22
 Happy New Year - Harleyman
Home from work at half six, ninety minutes kip, up, changed and off down the pub. Wearing dungarees mainly cos they're comfy, but as a bonus I might be able to gatecrash a fancy dress party.

Happy New Year to all.
 Happy New Year - Runfer D'Hills
Out of curiousity, what will you claim to have come as, if asked?

The first occasion my wife left me alone with my son when he was a baby, he was wearing dungarees and at one point he fairly inevitably needed to be changed. This was not, and never became my field of expertise and the garment defied my best efforts to it put back on him.
 Happy New Year - Zero
>> Out of curiousity, what will you claim to have come as, if asked?

He could start moaning and complaining, he could claim to be a lorry driver.
 Happy New Year - spamcan61
>>
Mario
 Happy New Year - legacylad
Casey Jones

Or is that Zeddo's preferred fancy dress?
 Happy New Year - Zero
>> Casey Jones
>>
>> Or is that Zeddo's preferred fancy dress?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3GcDBjQN4
>>
>> The first occasion my wife left me alone with my son when he was a
>> baby, he was wearing dungarees and at one point he fairly inevitably needed to be
>> changed. This was not, and never became my field of expertise and the garment defied
>> my best efforts to it put back on him.
>>

I always say I'm in traditional Cardiganshire national dress; natives of that area being viewed as hill-billies by the rest of the Welsh.

I love dungarees and couldn't give a monkeys what others say or think; they're comfortable, practical and very hard-wearing if you buy the quality American workwear brands rather than just fashion ones. Getting the straps right after a visit to the thunderbox is a bit of an acquired art though.
 Happy New Year - Crankcase
>> >> Out of curiousity, what will you claim to have come as, if asked?
>> >>
>> >> The first occasion my wife left me alone with my son when he was
>> a
>> >> baby, he was wearing dungarees and at one point he fairly inevitably needed to
>> be
>> >> changed. This was not, and never became my field of expertise and the garment
>> defied
>> >> my best efforts to it put back on him.

My chum Mike is an illustrator and author.

In his blog, he does a regular cartoon strip about his life and raising his small boys. He hates doing it and says nobody looks at it but he's done it for a few years now for posterity purposes, I think.

Anyway, here is his take on dungarees.

blogshank.com/2013/02/140113/
 Happy New Year - VxFan
>> Out of curiosity did any of you Flu victims take the flu jag this year?

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/flu-influenza-vaccine.aspx

"Studies have shown that the flu jab does work and will help prevent you getting the flu. It won't stop all flu viruses and the level of protection may vary between people, so it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll be flu-free, but if you do get flu after vaccination it's likely to be milder and shorter-lived than it would otherwise have been. "
 Happy New Year - Pat
I didn't have the flu jab, but I will next year.

Mine was a typical ache in every bone, skin even felt sore to touch and temperature was high.

Sleep was all I could do and food, even the thought of it, made me feel nauseous.

It's been a week now and the worst thing is many of the physical symptoms have improved but I still don't fancy food or a drink, and I have this feeling of doom that I can't shake off.
No enthusiasm for anything and total lethargy.

Looking after Ian will be the kick up the a*se I need, I think!

Pat
 Happy New Year - Duncan
>>
>> Pat
>>

Did your poppy arrive, Pat?

Was your son suitably impressed?

Happy New Year to all.
 Happy New Year - Pat
No Duncan, it's listed as awaiting collection at the moment.

We printed off the Gift Certificate though and gave him that and he was absolutely over the moon with it!

Apparently he's been watching Ebay to see if any came up on there, but I seem to remember reading somewhere they had banned them from being listed for sale.

Well worth the effort to make it a complete surprise too.

Pat
 Happy New Year - Duncan
>>Apparently he's been watching Ebay to see if any came up on there, but I seem to remember reading somewhere they had banned them from being listed for sale.

How do they do that? They can't make it illegal, can they?

>> Well worth the effort to make it a complete surprise too.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Oh, I couldn't agree more.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 09:04
 Happy New Year - Fullchat
When dungarees were mentioned. I don't know why but I had this image: :)))))

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8
 Happy New Year - Zero
>> When dungarees were mentioned. I don't know why but I had this image: :)))))
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8

Thanks a bundle - I am in a posh pub in the Surrey hills and I clicked that link just as my luncheon arrived so left the phone on the table

Didn't order the pork luckily but got strange looks anyway
'King brilliant ! :-))

I just did exactly the same with my iPad and inadvertently left it on the kitchen table next to my wife's mother while it loaded up...

:-(
 Happy New Year - legacylad
Re Harleymans acquired art of getting the straps correct after ' turning his bike around'. I had some very nifty climbing salopettes (aka posh dungarees) with a rear flap. Problem solved.
Flaps down meant something very different in aviation, which reminds me of lots of old climbing club jokes about reverse thrust etc. we knew how to entertain ourselves in mountain huts!
 Happy New Year - Ted
>> I didn't have the flu jab, but I will next year.

I did have the flu jab and I feel like a bag of s***e, Tricia ! I went to bed at about 9.30 last night and got up at 11.45 today.

I haven't eaten, either. I might try a bowl of Ann's home made turkey soup in a bit. The tickle spot in my windpipe seems to have eased off a bit so I'm not coughing as much but my diaphragm hurts when I do cough or sneeze.

I'm on call today so hoping no-one wants me out. Got to stay awake 'cos City are playing at 3 o'clock !
Today is the first New Year's Day I can remember when I haven't woken with a hangover.

Last night's intake included vodka, Calvados (le vrai Calva, bootleg stuff from Brittany), pink champagne, yellow champagne, beer, Cava and red wine. Perhaps a small hit of whisky too.

All spread over more than six hours though, and in very modest quantities.

I'm not boasting about my head for alcohol, which is no harder than most people's, or about my wimpish over-the-hill caution which is a bit shaming really, but about the availability of all these assorted tinctures in my immediate circle. In other ways that circle leaves a lot to be desired: the most ethereal-looking of the granddaughters scoffed more than half of a large pannetone before I got up today. I could really have done with a piece for breakfast. Damn nippers.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 15:40
 Happy New Year - Alastairw
No hangover here either, because I had to drive to the party, which was great fun.

Quite funny when I arrived home at 02.30 finding my very drunk neighbour having great difficulty getting his key in his door. Checked 10 minutes later and he had made it in.
 Happy New Year - Roger.
I believe that I was unloading the dishwasher as the hour struck - I only stayed up that late as I was reading and also hadn't had my usual afternoon, extended, siesta.
No booze to day either so Mrs R. has had half of the bottle of cava to herself.
The extended holiday has confused us as to which day is which, so entirely forgot it was new year at all, until awakened by the blinking church bells at midnight for half an hour.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 1 Jan 15 at 19:56
 Happy New Year - Zero

>> awakened by the blinking church bells at midnight
>> for half an hour.

you have illuminated church bells? classy
 Happy New Year - MD
>>
>> >> awakened by the blinking church bells at midnight
>> >> for half an hour.
>>
>> you have illuminated church bells? classy
>>
Yes no yes no yes no yes!
You Knowles perfectly Will what i néant :)

But Theo do ligot un thé tower, ans IT.s opposite thé house.

Wow. I thibk tais iPad has Ben drink inf. What thé dickens has happened to thé autocorrect?

Happy New Year - Zero
ÿôû hāvę bèëñ drįńkîń
 Happy New Year - Focusless
Anyone else catch Jools' Hootenanny and/or Queen + Adam Lambert? Both pretty good, what I saw of them anyway, especially Boz Scaggs doing Lido Shuffle and William Bell & Joss Stone doing Private Number.
 Happy New Year - VxFan
>> Anyone else catch Jools'

That's one man I cannot stand. I would rather drink cyanide than have to listen to, or watch any of his dross.

>> or Queen + Adam Lambert

Saw (ok, mainly heard) bits and pieces of it while doing something else. The late Freddie is irreplaceable though.
 Happy New Year - Robin O'Reliant
>> That's one man I cannot stand. I would rather drink cyanide than have to listen
>> to, or watch any of his dross.
>>
>> >>

And me, the mere sound of his voice has me hitting the off button.

As for New Years eve, I can't stand it and even in my gadabout days never could either. For one I can't see what all the fuss is about, the date changes every night. And in my youth I resented the fact that all the clubs (Or discos as they were back then) trebled their entry fees and were so tightly packed that you couldn't get near the bar. Even the pubs started charging to get in.
>> >> Anyone else catch Jools'
>>
>> That's one man I cannot stand. I would rather drink cyanide than have to listen
>> to, or watch any of his dross.

And a happy new year to you Vx :) I can understand you not liking the man, but there was a lot of good (IMO of course) music between the bits of 'his dross' - PVR/iPlayer?

>> >> or Queen + Adam Lambert
>>
>> Saw (ok, mainly heard) bits and pieces of it while doing something else. The late
>> Freddie is irreplaceable though.

Agreed, but that doesn't stop others being entertaining. Mrs F is a big fan of FM but she enjoyed the programme a lot.
Indeed it is interesting how people's opinions can differ. I would go out of my way to watch a Jools Hollland show which isn't something I'd say about much on the TV.

His eclectic knowledge of music has taught me a lot over the years and his programmes have introduced me to many lesser known musicians whose work I have enjoyed and which I'd probably not have heard of had they not been brought to my attention by him.

>> His eclectic knowledge of music has taught me a lot over the years

I can see that his presenting style won't be to everyone's tastes. But personally I find I'm a lot more tolerant of people who know what they're talking about.
 Happy New Year - Kevin
>I would go out of my way to watch a Jools Hollland show..and his programmes have
>introduced me to many lesser known musicians..

Same in the K household Humph.

OTOH, Bono, Geldof and Morrisey would have me fighting Vx for his cyanide (I'm not allowed to touch the TV remote).
It is, given the right circumstances, possible to enjoy listening to Bono without ever realising or noticing he was involved...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=da5QwwbF7IE

;-)
 Happy New Year - John Boy
>> His eclectic knowledge of music has taught me a lot over the years and his programmes have introduced me to many lesser known musicians whose work I have enjoyed and which I'd probably not have heard of had they not been brought to my attention by him.
>>
He has done that for me too, but sadly not recently. The last episode which really stood out for me was in 2012 when Alabama Shakes performed:
tinyurl.com/oy4k6a5

This year I've made more musical discoveries from reading the music pages on The Guardian webpage. Yesterday's page was particularly interesting for me:
tinyurl.com/kfx7kmz
I'm shocked to hear people dissing Jools Holland. His musical taste largely coincides with my own, and he's a very good piano player - stride is it, or blues? Anyway it really swings.

As for Queen and all those other after-my-time whining epicene deadbeats, I can't stand them. An age thing perhaps, or something worse.

Herself spent hours listening to the dramatised Radio 4 War and Peace last night. Dunno how she could stand it, it sounded utter crap to me, twitter twitter twitter, what a pain. My usual comic trashed it today as well. Philistine minds think alike.
 Happy New Year - CGNorwich
Listened to a bit of War and Peace yesterday in the car. Actually quite enjoyed it so will probably listen to it on iplayer buy not in one sitting. Heard it reviewed as the Archers in Moscow but that seeme a bit harsh. Never quite managed the book.

>> Philistine minds think alike.

Actually the novel is over-long and very boring. I did read it, or most of it, once upon a time, but I didn't like it much. Dostoyevsky is more the real thing.
Biggles flies down.
 Happy New Year - Roger.
Nah - the real thing is Hank Janson!
 Happy New Year - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> own, and he's a very good piano player - stride is it, or blues? Anyway
>> it really swings.
>>
>> >>

I can't stand the piano, it grates on me. My idea of perfect pitch is a trumpet hitting a piano as it's thrown into a skip.
 Happy New Year - Zero
>> Indeed it is interesting how people's opinions can differ. I would go out of my
>> way to watch a Jools Hollland show which isn't something I'd say about much on
>> the TV.

I have been to one of the recordings of his show, he is a peerless presenter and promotor, I know of no other that is prepared to present such a vast range of musical styles, and himself capable of playing and producing an effortless mix of Jazz, Blues, Honky Tonk, funk and pop.
I saw Jools in a programme in the mid eighties interviewing Fats Domino. What I liked about it was the way it seemed as if Fats had no real idea who he was and was just going along with the rather inane questions. Jools seemed a bit ill at ease, perhaps a bit over awed.

But then Jools very nervously, it seemed, asked if he could perhaps play along and after that they got on famously.

Amazingly, I just found exactly the five minute clip on YouTube.

youtu.be/Gi_K1K0SxRY
 Happy New Year - MD
Thank you. What a great clip. Fats D so natural. Squeeze one of my favourite bands. Up yer junction! :-0)
>> Thank you. What a great clip.

Absolutely! I like it when great musicians leave room for others like Fats D did there, just drawing Jools in to show what he could do.
>> Thank you. What a great clip.

Yes. Thanks a lot Crankshaft. Great clip which I remember from its first airing.

Saw a movie tonight, 'Whiplash', about a jazz drummer. It's very new. Highly recommended, really. Well worth a look if you like jazz.
>> Yes. Thanks a lot Crankshaft. Great clip which I remember from its first airing.

I've just watched that clip again. Fats Domino really comes over as someone who enjoys making people happy.
Saw JH with his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra in Cardiff some years ago; money well spent.

The "guest" singer was Marc almond formerly of Soft Cell; in his pop heyday I disliked his simpering persona but he can certainly sing. Chris Difford played a set too, and since JH's drummer is Gilson Lavis you'd pretty much got three-quarters of the original Squeeze line-up on stage, and very good they were too.
 Happy New Year - smokie
Saw them at the Hexagon about 2 yrs ago, fantastic evening, Alison Moyet was the guest. I like Jools style.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 22:37
 Happy New Year - zippy
>>Alison Moyet

Fantastic signer. Saw her at Wolverhampton, I think, about 6 years ago with some mates!

Happy New Year - Zero
>> >>Alison Moyet
>>
>> Fantastic signer. Saw her at Wolverhampton, I think, about 6 years ago with some mates!

Saw her some thirty years ago, wembley or the bush i think, (before live aid)

Fantastic singer, she had a dip in form and struggled to re pitch her voice, this is probably her best a little known dabble into opera

www.youtube.com/watch?v=27AHgGlj2LA

Happy New Year - VxFan
>> And a happy new year to you Vx :) I can understand you not liking
>> the man, but there was a lot of good (IMO of course) music between the
>> bits of 'his dross' - PVR/iPlayer?

JH being on anything will ensure I miss the whole programme that he's appearing in.

HNY too, btw ;)

>> Agreed, but that doesn't stop others being entertaining.

I never said it wasn't. Just that nobody does it better than Freddie.
Latest Forum Posts