Non-motoring > Prices of stuff in the shops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 19

Prices of stuff in the shops - smokie
So the various providers in the fuel chain seem to have passed on at least some of the savings in the fuel price drop. I see the supermarkets are knocking another 2p a litre off from tomorrow.

It should follow that the cost of other things drops, as it usually follows that when fuel goes up there is a need for a price rise.

I'm not holding my breath though...
 Prices of stuff in the shops - rtj70
And I filled up yesterday (I had to) but tomorrow I could have saved about 88p.... Damn. But I did only pay 90.1p a litre with my discount at Tesco.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - sooty123
90.1p is good going, I think it's 110.9p around here. What sort of discount did you get?
 Prices of stuff in the shops - MD
I am advised by grinning suppliers that once again on the 1st Jan' that Building materials are going to be rising in leaps. 30% on some bricks was mentioned. WTF....
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Bromptonaut
>> I am advised by grinning suppliers that once again on the 1st Jan' that Building
>> materials are going to be rising in leaps. 30% on some bricks was mentioned. WTF....
>>

Dire shortage of bricks apparently. Plant mothballed during the downturn cannot be reactivated quickly enough on the sudden demand now arising.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Armel Coussine
>> Dire shortage of bricks apparently. Plant mothballed during the downturn cannot be reactivated quickly enough

Adobe is the solution. Trampling the mud to make the bricks will provide employment for the less talented. Mud feels lovely squidging between the toes. Perhaps the wages can be reduced on that basis.

Of course adobe is a bit soluble in wet weather. But slapping more mud on will employ even more of the unemployed. The only remaining problem is, er, how and where to dry the adobe bricks.

But I'm sure someone interested in detail will be able to think of something even before it stops raining. My own role is to enforce the overview, and it's very arduous I can tell you.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Runfer D'Hills
Cow poo and straw works quite well I gather. Lots of old houses round here are allegedly made of that and some wood. The Scots preferred stone of course.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Old Navy
Mrs ON tells me she has six pence a litre discount on her Tesco card, just waiting for the low fuel light to come on before filling up, my filler is on the left according to the little triangle on the fuel gauge. :)
I said 90.1p because I'd got a discount. It was 20p more than that without the discount :-) So 110.1p.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Roger.
I paid 110.9 at a Shell station in Ipswich, on Monday of this week.
Round here, in N. Notts., it's still at 113.9 to 114.9 an that's supermarket & Jet.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Zero
paid 109.9 on the A1 yesterday
 Prices of stuff in the shops - legacylad
Not working today so took my old Mum to visit my even older Aunt. Not my ' best day out' but kept me out of the pub lunchtime onwards. Toby carvery, then the delights of two hours in Asda for the ancients. Asda is so much cheaper than our local supermarket, and my Aunt graciously offered to fill up Herman with Shells finest V Power. No idea how much it cost per gallon, but it sucked in £70 worth. Must have liked it because it purred all the way home. Trip computer must be wrong because it's indicating 33.7 mpg and I gave it beans most of the 30 mile return journey. Very few mimsers. Oh joy!
>> Aunt graciously offered to fill up Herman with Shells finest V Power.

You robbing so and so :-) What's wrong with regular unleaded. Did she now she was offering to pay for 'premium' fuel?

She must have felt the car needed it I suppose.

No idea how much it must have been. I know standard unleaded is around £1.10/l around here.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 31 Dec 14 at 23:39
>> >> Aunt graciously offered to fill up Herman with Shells

Good lord, makes you sound like General der Panzertruppen, Hasso-Eccard Freiherr von Manteuffe preparing for a day trip to the Ardennes.
If you refer to my response... Mine was simply because it was premium fuel. Aunts can be generous. Other family members are available to exploit too :-)
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Fursty Ferret
Tesco their usual dodgy selves around my way. Price was 116p/litre until two days ago, went up to 118, then with their festive 2p drop it went back down to 116p. Feel sorry for their employees but I don't see them being around in ten years.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Bromptonaut
>> Tesco their usual dodgy selves around my way. Price was 116p/litre until two days ago,
>> went up to 118, then with their festive 2p drop it went back down to
>> 116p. Feel sorry for their employees but I don't see them being around in ten
>> years.
>>

Don't think we've had an increase here but at 117.9 it's still 3 or 4 pence more than in Leicester or Banbury. Even Shell on the A5 round oswestry is cheaper.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - Robin O'Reliant
If the stuff were to settle somewhere between 115 and 120 and stay there for the next few years I'd be happy. We all know what's going to happen here, at some point it will bottom out and then not long afterwards it will begin it's inevitable rise back to a good few pence more than it was before they started cutting it.
 Prices of stuff in the shops - henry k
>> . We all know what's going to happen here,
>> at some point it will bottom out and then not long afterwards
>>
Someone will say " I am sure you rich motorists can pay a little more tax"
>> If the stuff were to settle somewhere between 115 and 120 and stay there for

According to Forbes the bottom has been reached, its now at the price where its economically best left in the ground. The conditions that drove it down there are interesting, oversupply, new cheap sources, lack of demand, sluggish world economy. Only one of those will recover to previous levels (economy) and demand will be lower (driven down by technology) even when it does.

In short, it will be a long slow recovery, will reach post slump price, but wont surge ahead of inflation (except of course in the even of a major world upheaval)
Latest Forum Posts