Non-motoring > Gumtree Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 15

Gumtree - CGNorwich
Have had a bit of a makeover in the house and getting rid of clutter and redundant items of furniture and bits of technology.

First item I've ever used Gumtree and got rid of half a dozen items from a coffee table to amplifier in the last couple of day. Surprised at the interest and how quickly I have sold.. Heard all sort of tales about Gumtree and have had a few rather obvious time wasters but most people have been straightforward and honest.

Looking about for more stuff to sell - kind of enjoyed the process!
 Gumtree - Bromptonaut
Like ebay the vast majority of transactions will be wholly kosher and satisfactory to both parties. The worry, bikes being close to my heart, is ease with which both ebay and gumtree are used to fence stolen stuff.
 Gumtree - CGNorwich
Yes I can see that could be a problem but its the same buying from the proverbial guy down the pub.

I wonder how many people being offered a really cheap bike have an inkling that the the thing is stolen but don't want to think too hard about it.

Gumtree - Crankcase
I've been asked to try and sell a relation's Panasonic LUMIX as it was too complex for her. I've not sold on eBay for a few years now and was unsurprised to find there are a number of hoops I would have to go through to get going again for one sale, so I was considering Gumtree. I think they are owned by eBay anyway now (aren't they?), but I wonder how quick and easy it actually is, starting from no account at all, and what the fees might be?

Alternatively, shamelessly, does anyone here have any interest in a barely used Panasonic LUMIX FZ62 with all the bits?
 Gumtree - Focusless
>> I wonder how quick and easy
>> it actually is, starting from no account at all, and what the fees might be?

I found it pretty quick and easy, with no fees, which was the main reason for not using ebay on a couple of £500+ items I sold. But I did find I got quite a few texts from scammers - on ebay you can check their profiles. You've got to be a bit more careful on gumtree.

EDIT: obviously I realise just checking an ebay profile doesn't guarantee non-scammers
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 11:38
 Gumtree - Crankcase
Texts? Is a mobile phone number required? If it is that's a non starter as I don't possess one I can use for personal stuff.
 Gumtree - Focusless
>> Texts? Is a mobile phone number required?

Ah - not sure, but possibly not. I'll check my account...
 Gumtree - Focusless
A contact number is required, but I just changed mine to my landline number without any problems.
 Gumtree - Focusless
...and when you post an ad, there's a 'how do you want to be contacted' section with tick-boxes for email and phone.
 Gumtree - Focusless
Just to add, the lack of profiles I would say is the main difference between ebay and gumtree - both parties have no idea who they are dealing with (initially).
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 2 Jan 15 at 11:56
 Gumtree - CGNorwich
Gumtree is really easy. Just need an email address to set up account and away you go. No fees unless you want to prioritise your listing and easy to use site. It's basically like putting a classified in the local paper but easier.

Sold all my stuff except for a nice pair of suitcases for cash within 48 hours of posting . As I said got a few odd emails, probably from kids but otherwise couldn't have been simpler

Gumtree - Crankcase
Well that sounds encouraging. One of the things that puts me off eBay now as a seller is that it seems they always side with the buyer whatever happens. So I post the camera, the buyer gets it, even leaves me good feedback, then complains and eBay just give them the money back from my PayPal account.

What do Gumtree do when the buyer pulls a similar trick?
 Gumtree - CGNorwich
Nothing- there is no feedback mechanism. Just take cash. Its basically a local service so no need to post anything.
 Gumtree - Crankcase
Ah, I see. Ok, thanks. Just a bit wary as it's not my camera is all.

Gumtree - bathtub tom
Recently sold a car on Gumtree. I wasn't sure what would be a fair price, so I pitched it at (what I thought) an ambitious price to see what interest it created before I put it on Autotrader. Easy to do, photo's included.

Had a handful of queries and sold it for what I asked - saved the cost of advertising it elsewhere.

Gumtree - Ted

Me too...stopped using the bay now. Sold lots of surplus stuff on Gumtree. Couldn't be easier.

Sold a bike, a Silver Cross pram, a 6 chair/pine table set and a kiddie seat for the car. All at the asking price !

A Mommas & Poppas folding trolley hasn't gone yet......anyone need one ?
Latest Forum Posts