Non-motoring > Buying mp3 downloads Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 9

Buying mp3 downloads - BobbyG
Where is the best place to buy mp3 download albums that can be put on iTunes and also stored as files that can be shared?

Or if you buy the actual disc can you still save as files and share? I remember at one point a trial where they were doing something to the tracks to try to prevent that?
 Buying mp3 downloads - Zero
>> Where is the best place to buy mp3 download albums that can be put on
>> iTunes and also stored as files that can be shared?

most online places but Amazon is easiest. Save them to your pc, you can make iTunes copy them to its database.

>> Or if you buy the actual disc can you still save as files and share?
>> I remember at one point a trial where they were doing something to the tracks
>> to try to prevent that?

Yes, buy the cd and rip it - still works - mostly
 Buying mp3 downloads - rtj70
>> Yes, buy the cd and rip it - still works - mostly

And if you buy a CD from Amazon, chances are you can also download the MP3 tracks before you get the disk. AutoRip they call it.

Sometimes the cost of a CD is actually cheaper than just the MP3 album.
Cheers - I had looked at Amazon buying only the mp3 but the terms and conditions referred to something about it being stored in their Amazon music library - assume that is just if you need to download it again?
Correct. And I got back some old (stolen CDs) music as MP3s when they introduced AutoRip.

You need to install an app to download the MP3 tracks.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 3 Jan 15 at 23:01
The 'free' alternative is recording the tracks from Spotify or similar. But factor in your time and buying it outright is cheaper. Depends how you value your time.
 Buying mp3 downloads - Zero
the "free" alternative is one of the torrent sites.
Well to be honest I have used the youtube converter now and again and I do sometimes have a conscience!

So I really like the George Ezra album, its his first and seems to be newish on the scene so I would want any royalties to go his way (albeit low). Therefore willing to buy it.

In the past I have paid and downloaded from Tesco I think it was when they had some sort of Jersey / Isle of Man / Channel Islands VAT avoidance set up but I think that loophole was closed?

I wouldn't have the same conscience if I wanted a Rolling Stones, U2 etc track.....
 Buying mp3 downloads - zippy
I use the Amazon service which is good but beware of a few points:

Not all albums have autorip.

If you return an album but have downloaded the MP3, they will charge you the MP3 rate and this can be more than the cost of the album.

I like to have the hard copy of the album as I used a service from a company once (Tesco) who changed their supplier and I lost the MP3s that I purchased (luckily only a couple of CDs at the time). They did send warnings but I was abroad at the time and wifi was not widespread.
 Buying mp3 downloads - RattleandSmoke
I use Spotify Premium via an external DAC and it sounds very very good. I am not too bothered about owning then as I use spotty on my PCs, laptops and phone and you can store the offline so you don't need internet access.

If I do buy music I tend to buy CDs record shops or vinyl, if I am going to buy for a specific album I would want a physical copy as to me the physical copy is half the job of music. When have a bit of time I love nothing more than to use my CD player or turntable, I find with a CD player you're more likely to listen to the album rather than just play the odd track of it.
Latest Forum Posts