Non-motoring > Its a funny old world Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 16

Its a funny old world - CGNorwich
At the Co-op convenience store this morning.

Woman proffers 50 p for sliced loaf with a reduced price sticker

Checkout lady " I'm afraid I can't sell you that. it's got yesterday's date on it. It should have been taken off the shelf.

Woman. That's OK it's only for toast. I'll take it.

CL No I can't do that.

Woman: What are you going to do with it then.

CL: We will throw it away

Woman: Give it to me then.

CL Can't do that.

Woman left.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 12 Jan 15 at 13:54
 Its a funny old world - Pat
Probably why our local one is closing down!

Pat
 Its a funny old world - Runfer D'Hills
When supermarkets didn't open on Sundays the best time to bag a bargain was after 5.00 pm on a Saturday. They used to mark anything perishable down to silly money for that last hour or so. Meat especially.
 Its a funny old world - Armel Coussine
>> Woman: Give it to me then.

>> CL Can't do that.

>> Woman left.

After seizing the loaf by force to take with her, one earnestly hopes? Jobsworths in shops are exceptionally annoying, even if they are just obeying the house rules.
 Its a funny old world - Haywain
"Jobsworths in shops are exceptionally annoying"

A couple of years ago, my daughter was passing through the checkout of the local Sainsbury's where she works - she was buying, amongst other things, some bottles of beer as a present for her older (32) brother's birthday. The checkout assistant refused her because 'she wasn't old enough to buy alcohol'. Daughter protested "But I've worked here for nearly 10 years"

But it all fell on deaf ears.

At the time, my daughter (who doesn't drink alcohol) was 28!
 Its a funny old world - Aretas
Try buying "non-alcoholic" wine. The self-service check out at Waitrose requires you to get your age checked.

Just in case you ask, alcohol and some of my wife's medication don't mix.

>>
Jobsworths in shops are exceptionally annoying, even if they are just obeying the house rules.

This is of course true but to be fair if you have ever been on the other side of the counter the attitudes and stupidity of a significant part of the General public will never cease to amaze you
 Its a funny old world - RattleandSmoke
On the other hand I was able to buy some beer at a Tesco Express in the city centre on the automated checkout without it flagging up. I could have been a 12 year old kid buying that.

Its a funny old world - Armel Coussine
>> on the other side of the counter the attitudes and stupidity of a significant part of the General public will never cease to amaze you

I've strayed through all sides in my time more or less. Been everything including the general public.
 Its a funny old world - Dave
So the shop sells an out of date item, then the person goes running to trading standards/twitter/facebook/daily mail and tells the world. Not worth the risk, as there's some strange people out there.
 Its a funny old world - BobbyG
Not to mention the in-house "Mystery Shoppers" who are employed to give feedback on staff performance and these are linked to manager's bonus schemes.......
I wasn't particularly criticising the shop assistant just remarking what an odd and amusing place the modern world can be at times.
 Its a funny old world - Zero
>> I wasn't particularly criticising the shop assistant just remarking what an odd and amusing place
>> the modern world can be at times.

Indeed it can, but you can see why. Suppose it become common knowledge that stuff was given away in the last 30 mins of the day if it had reached its sell by date.

Wouldn't get much business in the mornings and it would be Tesco Black Friday chaos in the evening. The shop would go bust, the bread maker would go bust and everyone employed by either would be sacked.

The whole commercial food chain would collapse.
You're right. Just imagine if we started giving away free healthcare. Before long we would have people waiting or trollies in hospitals and you wouldn't be able to get an appointment at your GP. It would all collapse in chaos.

Oh hang on.

Its a funny old world - WillDeBeest
Just imagine if we started giving away free healthcare.

Don't worry, nice Mr Cameron has a plan for that.
 Its a funny old world - NortonES2
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Mon 12 Jan 15 at 20:20
 Its a funny old world - Robin O'Reliant
>> So the shop sells an out of date item, then the person goes running to
>> trading standards/twitter/facebook/daily mail and tells the world. Not worth the risk, as there's some strange people out there.
>>

Or the purchaser gets an unrelated tummy ache then starts screaming blue murder and trying to sue. I've had enough jobs dealing with Joe Public not to trust them an inch.
Latest Forum Posts