Non-motoring > Someone's got it in for the local Council Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 25

Someone's got it in for the local Council - VxFan

Fire has engulfed council offices in Oxfordshire and two other buildings following a spate of suspected arson attacks overnight.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-30826330

Someone's got it in for the local Council - Zero
I was reading that, A cottage, The undertakers, and the Council office. Behind that strange brew of targets is a story.
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - henry k
>> I was reading that, A cottage, The undertakers, and the Council office.
>> Behind that strange brew of targets is a story.
>>
The undertaker was lucky. He got an automated alarm call and scooted round to his place of work.
Grabbed an extinguisher to put the blaze ( outside of the building ).
The fire restarted but a second bottle did the trick
dupe.
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 15 Jan 15 at 15:10
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Boxsterboy
Another case of 'Care In The Community'?
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - madf
No doubt posted on t***ter before he did it..
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Duncan
You aren't suggesting that he had some sort of grievance, are you??
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Old Navy
The media are reporting a planning dispute.
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Bromptonaut
>> The media are reporting a planning dispute.

The BBC were being very guarded on afternoon bulletins. Person in custody presumably meant reporting restrictions engaged.

Planning or mental health was always most likely 'causus beli'; either singly or in combination.
>> >> The media are reporting a planning dispute.

Hmm, I could concoct a likely planning dispute story connecting cottage and the council, but the undertakers is a bit of a twist.
>> Hmm, I could concoct a likely planning dispute story connecting cottage and the council, but
>> the undertakers is a bit of a twist.

Undertaker is objector to planning proposal?

Cottage is either subject site or residence of another objector.
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - MD
Dead end old Boy.
A map and further info.
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/south-oxfordshire-fires-recap-updates-4982075
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Old Navy
The Daily Mail has a map showing the suspects residence, the adjacent building in dispute, and the torched cottage next door.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 15 Jan 15 at 22:46
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - VxFan
>> A cottage, The undertakers, and the Council office.

And a forth property as well. A derelict property not far from the cottage, which was apparently owned by the arsonist. The ­derelict property was the subject of a long-running planning dispute stretching back to 1987.

www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/uk/552269/Grudge-arson-horror-in-village

The council offices caught fire again earlier. High winds reignited some smouldering embers in the roof.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-30843089
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Jan 15 at 01:52
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Armel Coussine
Arson is a wicked mean crime, unpredictable and dangerous.

We were arsoned, not too badly, in the Grove by some nutter and the local CID came to look at the damage in the sinister, blackened front basement room. They shivered and asked if we could go upstairs to a less sinister place please.

I got the impression the London police really, really hate arson. Perhaps having had to clean up the odd burned body. I hate it too, the crime of Iago, among Shakespeare's nastiest villains, when he's gearing up to be really bad but hasn't perfected his plot yet. In the real world arson is used by gangsters, fraudsters and squalid nutters in proportions I wouldn't hazard a guess at.

Rural barns and isolated industrial buildings are vulnerable to mad arson sprees like this one in the news. Miles away, hard for fire brigade to get to, gonna burn down. I say mad because one of the buildings belonged to the alleged arsonist. Perhaps it was an insurance job and the other fires were just to confuse the issue.
There are few things that energise personal arguments and animosity as much as the perceived infringement of an Englishman's home as his castle. People will expend money and emotional energy out of all proportion to the issue at stake.

This one was a boundary dispute:

www.lawgazette.co.uk/5046072.article?utm_source=dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GAZ160115
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 16 Jan 15 at 14:44
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Ted

Remember this one from 1991..........chief planning officer shot dead and reporter and PC injured.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13777583

Perpetrator still doing bird ?
Get out of it, thats nothing compared to divorce proceedings and custody disputes
>> Get out of it, that's nothing compared to divorce proceedings and custody disputes

Self evidently, public or private law matters around child custody are in a different league.

Divorce however is not. Far higher chance of that being civilised than two neighbours squabbling over a few square feet of grass.
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - Cliff Pope
>Perhaps it
>> was an insurance job and the other fires were just to confuse the issue.
>>

One of the bodies at the undertakers had been murdered by a subtle poison which had not yet come to light. But the murderer was afraid that moves were afoot to halt the burial and order a post mortem.
He hoped to forestall this by burning down the undertakers, diverting attention from the real motive by also burning a few nearby buildings. The planning dispute was unconnected, but the plan failed because the fire at the undertakers was extinguished before it could take hold.
>>subtle poison

I'll buy that.
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - smokie
Ooo yeah maybe they were just filming the next Silent Witness...
 Someone's got it in for the local Council - zippy
The way the fire ripped through the council offices is startling but I suppose as no one was there to raise the alarm the fire had time to get going.

Every year my employer makes us all do fire training which includes simple things like how to evacuate, fight a small fire but above all get out safe. It always seems to be a pain at the time but it is events like this that makes one understand why employers insist on the training.

Emergency services put their lives at risk when attending these incidents and may have to enter burning buildings to search for people. I hope when they find the culprit the sentence fits the crime.
>> Every year my employer makes us all do fire training which includes simple things like
>> how to evacuate, fight a small fire but above all get out safe.
>>It always seems to be a pain at the time but it is events like this that
>> makes one understand why employers insist on the training.
>>
At my last job there was what I was told a very minor arson attempt which triggered the sprinklers etc so it was "All out". Water pouring down a staircase of polished concrete ( 50 + years of use) was rather difficult to negotiate.. I complained about the stairs and the result was a big Zero.
So much for rehearsals ( in the dry) .
Even what starts as a minor fire, in this case on the roof, can do millions of pounds worth of damage.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5012379/Huge-fire-breaks-out-in-Holborn-London-at-immigration-tribunal.html

Like the tweeting Rob Mitchell I was in a nearby building and told to get out. Most of the damage was actually due to water flowing all the way from the top to the basement. Took well over a year before building was in use again.
Latest Forum Posts