Non-motoring > Ski pro - or madman? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 20

Ski pro - or madman? - Crankcase
I'm not a skier, but some of this made me wince. I imagine this is very clever and it's certainly impressive. I don't know if there is any etiquette on the slopes but I suspect he broke it...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7jQknGjs

It's one of those "keep watching till the end" ones as it all ramps up. 5 minutes.

Or maybe the skiers here will say "bah, that's not impressive at all..."

Ski pro - or madman? - Old Navy
Way beyond my skill and bravery level, rocks and trees hurt if you get it wrong. Think Schumacher. Note that there was a practice run, you can see the ski tracks already at the landing points.
 Ski pro - or madman? - rtj70
Definitely a nutter. Put others at risk at times too.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Zero
>> Definitely a nutter. Put others at risk at times too.

Not really, it was all planned, all the ramps had been made or pre-postioned, the route planned and as the matelot says, rehearsed at least once.
 Ski pro - or madman? - bathtub tom
Suspect fake, what does our resident youtuber say?
 Ski pro - or madman? - Armel Coussine
I'm with Zero and ON on this. It had been rehearsed, and I thought I saw a couple of suspect jump-cuts, well dissimulated.

Even so... not the sort of thing most people could do, or would attempt even if they had the skills.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Mapmaker
>> Definitely a nutter. Put others at risk at times too.
>>

I saw this yesterday and laughed. Nobody else was at risk, everybody's position was timed far too carefully to think they weren't in on it as well.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Slidingpillar
Yes, some of the 'bystanders' were definitely waiting for him.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Fullchat
Clearly an accomplished skier with intimate knowledge of the slope. But it is Candide Thovex and it's his home.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Haywain
Just out of curiosity, am I the only person on here who has never been skiing in his/her life? As a working-class kid, I was always given to believe that it was a very bourgeois pastime. By the time I could nearly afford it, I'd found other things to do.
 Ski pro - or madman? - MD
Ditto
 Ski pro - or madman? - Crankcase
Not me. Never even considered it for a second. Not my type of thing. It involves quantities of Outside for a start, and there may be unwanted helpings of Natural Light.

Ski pro - or madman? - Zero
>> Just out of curiosity, am I the only person on here who has never been
>> skiing in his/her life?

probably

>>As a working-class kid, I was always given to believe that
>> it was a very bourgeois pastime. By the time I could nearly afford it, I'd
>> found other things to do.

As a working class kid - First time was a school trip. I was crap at it. Ive been crap at it every time I tried since, so gave up trying in my 30s. Funnily enough I was an ace water skier.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Roger.
Troodos Mountains, circa 1956. Nasty white stuff higher up from Troodos village.
Skis issued - fell over a lot. Hated it.
Chased EOKA instead.
I was taught to ski by army instructors. The advantage of that course is it includes ski maintenance and preparation, avalanche theory and risk assessment, and even ski slope etiquette and safety. After all that time and effort you are competent to decend a mountain having planned a route which allows stops at all bars and restaurants on the way down.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 20 Jan 15 at 22:53
 Ski pro - or madman? - Armel Coussine
Never even tried to ski. Looks like fun, but you really don't want to crash or twist your leg, as you certainly would, many times.

Skating on ice was quite bad enough for me.

We passed through a ski place in Switzerland once for one night, passing through from France to Czech I think. People were very nice, buxom smiling waitresses, food and drink good and plentiful although, cough, choke, far from cheap, but goodness how hearty everyone seemed. Like being back at school in the dog days.
>> Never even tried to ski. Looks like fun, but you really don't want to crash
>> or twist your leg, as you certainly would, many times.
>>

Its a bit like using a two wheeled device, don't do it unless you expect to fall or get knocked off it occasionally. At least most snow is softer than concrete, its the trees and rocks you need to avoid. If your ski bindings are adjusted correctly and not Olympic racer tight your skis should come off before much damage is done in a fall.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 21 Jan 15 at 08:00
 Ski pro - or madman? - hjd
>> Just out of curiosity, am I the only person on here who has never been
>> skiing in his/her life?
>>
No, you're not.
 Ski pro - or madman? - Bromptonaut
Tried the cross country variety in UK c1982/3* but just kept falling over. No incentive to try again.

*Dufton Youth Hostel on the Cumbria/Durham borders ran x/country ski sessions in Jan/Feb for several years in late seventies on. If you went up the road from Appleby towards Middleton in Teesdale there was plenty of the stuff.

Without getting into climate change weather patterns seem to have changed and I don't think they could offer it now.
 Ski pro - or madman? - VxFan
>> No, you're not.

Me neither. Tried ice skating once though. Might as well had put the skates on my bum as that was more often in contact with the ice than my feet were ;)
 Ski pro - or madman? - Mapmaker
I was taken skiing about ten years ago. I expected it to be pointless. I attended the lessons and found it pointless. And then it clicked after about three days of lessons, and suddenly it's like being able to fly - or, rather, glide. Love it!
Latest Forum Posts