Non-motoring > Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 38

Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - RattleandSmoke
On Friday me and my mate, lets call him John (not his real name) where discussing that it is odd that Bob (again made up name) hasn't come out with us since last summer as he used to come out every week.

On the Saturday night I ended up going to an old rock club I used to frequent to see if any old pals were in there, bumped into quite a few including Bob who was with John's ex, John had split up with her in the summer.

Now I have no idea if there is anything going on I left pretty sharpish to get the nightbus home, but I feel guilty knowing this. Bob and John have known each other more than 5 years, where I have only known John for 5 years.

Now mentioning this will only cause trouble and as John has currently has a new girlfriend I am not sure if John needs to know that Bob is still going out, but not with us but John's ex? If John finds out that I knew he was still seeing his ex he would not be happy, but if I tell him he will probably just think I am causing trouble. It is not as if Bob is having an affair.

What would people on here do?
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 28 Jan 15 at 22:19
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - CGNorwich
Stop watching Coronation Street.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 28 Jan 15 at 22:26
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Old Navy
Keep your nose out, not your problem.
Thanks ON, that is my thoughts too, also I didn't see them doing anything it will just be very hard when the subject of him comes up again when I know the probable reason why he has really disappeared :(
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - No FM2R
>>Keep your nose out, not your problem.

Or your business.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Old Navy
Who decided that there was a problem, Ratts ? Playing social worker is a minefield, even if there is a problem.
Meant 25 years, Bob and John are childhood friends. I wish it was Coronation Street :(
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Mike H
Erm, you don't need to do anything. It may be awkward for you, but it's not your problem. You need to say nothing to anyone.
Thanks also if it was a big secret, he wouldn't have gone to that club as he knows it is one of my regular haunts.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Duncan
Nose out and mouth shut.
Thanks for all the replies I will keep my mouth shut, I didn't ask any questions or mention it I just find it horrible how so called mates can treat each other.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Zero
If BBD was to reply he would ask if there was a chance of a spit roast.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Westpig
I'm with the rest of them..say nowt.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Fullchat
Yeap.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Armel Coussine
>> What would people on here do?

Gossip creatively to all concerned giving highly-coloured accounts of their probable behaviour with each other. Bob and John don't deserve your concern, carrying on blatantly like that in front of you. The sauce!

Grasp the nettle Sheikha. Everyone will be grateful when the dust settles.

(Take other advice before acting though).
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - swiss tony
>> On the Saturday night I ended up going to an old rock club I used to frequent to see if any old pals were in there, bumped into quite a few including Bob who was with John's ex, John had split up with her in the summer.
>>
>> Now I have no idea if there is anything going on Now mentioning this will only cause trouble and as John has currently has a new girlfriend I am not sure if John needs to know that Bob is still going out, but not with us but John's ex? If John finds out that I knew he was still seeing his ex he would not be happy, but if I tell him he will probably just think I am causing trouble. It is not as if Bob is having an affair.

John and ex split up around 6 months ago?
John has new girlfriend?
Bob 'may' be seeing Johns ex, or may just be friends?
Where's the problem?

I'd still keep my mouth shut though.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - MD
She's an EX, geddit? Where's the problemo?

Eyes and ears open, mouth shut.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - VxFan
Just start another rumour that Bob and John are seeing one another.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - nice but dim
Ratso's just jealous that he's not getting any. Leave mateys to fight it out over the munter.
Ha I wish :) I am better of out of it :p

The reason I was worried is my mate has no idea the real reason why Bob has stopped going out.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Lygonos
If I was interested in having an ongoing friendship with Bob, I'd give him a call and say that I'd seen him with John's X and wondered if that's why he'd been off the scene.

If I wasn't, then I'd not give a toss.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Robin O'Reliant
The problem for Rattle will be when it ends up on Jeremy Kyle and he has to go on and tell what he knows.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - rtj70
Next we'll find Bob and/or John are members here because Rattle mentioned the forum. And they knew who he was all along and therefore this anonymous tale is not so anonymous. Just saying.

I'd just forget all about it. Not your problem or concern. But I can see why it bothers you.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 29 Jan 15 at 17:46
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Armel Coussine
>> But I can see why it bothers you.

Damned if I can. Perfectly ordinary bit of youngish-adult life it sounds like to me.

The Sheikh has lived a sheltered life and takes a natural interest in the shenanigans of his more intemperate and passionate comrades. We all did once, before joining in the thrills and spills...

Drive to Spain slowly with the most winsome of your woman friends Sheikha. Something may come of it.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - R.P.
Je Suis Bob
>> Je Suis Bob

Any old bob, jim and charlie.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - MD
Oy you. What about my Bluetooth. :-0)
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Lygonos
Rats, Sue, and Bob too.

Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - swiss tony
>> Rats, Sue, and Bob too.
>>
youtu.be/whYhEeEYju0
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - nice but dim
Love that film - though I kept skipping to the parts to hear that Rover V8, what a car!
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - mikeyb
>> Love that film - though I kept skipping to the parts to hear that Rover
>> V8, what a car!
>>

You sure you can manage two?

You bet your boots I can

Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Haywain
This reminds me of a story my mate told me.....

Keep this in mind the next time you are about to repeat a rumour or spread gossip.

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

'Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance.

"That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say.. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really"

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man was bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was shagging his wife.
>> This reminds me of a story my mate told me.....
>>
>> Keep this in mind the next time you are about to repeat a rumour or
>> spread gossip.
>>
>> In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC),

Blimey, you have some right aged mates.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Haywain
"Blimey, you have some right aged mates."

Yeah, we had some good times in ancient Greece; it ain't like that now - EU ruined it all for us!
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - CGNorwich
"it ain't like that now - EU ruined it all for us!"

You have to be philosophical about it.
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - legacylad
I thought Socrates played football for Brazil, not Greece?
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Crankcase
That was scraping the bottom of the barrel...
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - Bromptonaut
Thx Haywain. The Lad, who's a Philosophy student, appreciated that one.

Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary is a test my wife's oldest friend claims to apply to gossip.....

Yeah right Sue....
 Found out something I wish I hadn't - keep quiet? - The Melting Snowman
I have often been surprised by the actions of certain men when there's a bit of skirt involved. Many years ago, about 1989 I think, I was late back from a conference and needed to call into the office on the way home to pick up some papers for a meeting the next day. It was quite late in the evening and winter, so the whole block was dark. As I walked down the corridor to my office I could hear noises of sexual pleasure coming from the secretary's office. The corridor was dark so I could peep through the glass in the door without being seen. The Head of Sales, a married man of church-going leanings, was giving the secretary a good banging. Judging by the papers on the floor and hastily removed clothes and knickers I imagine it was a fairly rapid and spontaneous act. I gathered my papers from my office and left the building. For some time afterwards, I found it hard to keep a straight face in meetings but decided best to keep quiet about it all. The Head of Sales left the company a few months later, he was good at his job and left for a bigger and more lucrative role in a larger company. It still brings a smile to my face after all these years. Whether the secretaries in his new company were any better we shall never know :-0
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Fri 27 Feb 15 at 20:39
Latest Forum Posts