Non-motoring > Pizza bases Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 5

Pizza bases - BobbyG
Daughter got a stand mixer for her last birthday as she enjoys baking.

Latest trial is to make home made pizzas and the bases. First one she made, I rolled the base as thin as possible and it was really tasty. One last night, no matter how much I rolled the base, it just seemed to "spring" back in and become thicker.

Anyone make home made bases? Any tricks of the trade?

As long as it doesn't involve me trying to spin the dough off the back of my hand like you see in the local Italian's!
 Pizza bases - Armel Coussine
The nephew has a proper pizza oven built into a wall here, for warm-weather use only. It runs on charcoal and takes an hour to get properly hot. He's got a special pizza shovel and everything. The results can be pretty good even if you're a finicky old geezer like me.
 Pizza bases - Zero

>> As long as it doesn't involve me trying to spin the dough off the back
>> of my hand like you see in the local Italian's!
The mix was probably a little too dry

And its easy to expand the base by spinning. Just pretend its a frisbee
 Pizza bases - Slidingpillar
Not made pizza, but the same dough is used for forgaccia which I do make and can confirm the springiness of it.
 Pizza bases - WillDeBeest
The more you work dough or pastry the more gluten develops (not a chemical change but a physical binding together of protein strands to form an elastic matrix) and the springier your dough will get. Easy to overwork it when you have a machine to make the effort for you, so cut down the kneading time and see if things improve.
 Pizza bases - Slidingpillar
The fat content is a factor too. Pizza dough has no fat in it and is springier than bread dough for same amount of kneading.
Latest Forum Posts