Non-motoring > Dan Topolski Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 2

Dan Topolski - Armel Coussine
A multiple Oxford rowing blue who was in two boat races, although lightweight for an oarsman at 10.5 stone, and for many years Oxford University's rowing coach, Daniel Topolski has died at 69 after recurrent bouts with cancer. He was a friend of a good friend of ours who brought him to our gaff for Carnival several times. Personally, he was a very charming, sunny individual who seemed to shed light and optimism in all directions. People will remember him as a boat race commentator for many years.

His father was the Polish expressionist painter Feliks Topolski, his mother English I think.
 Dan Topolski - John Boy
I'm glad I spotted this topic. I remember Feliks Topolski as the person who did those wonderful drawings of people, like Gilbert Harding, which were used in the "Face to Face" interview series on BBC TV. Wikipedia describes those drawings as "caricatures", but I think they were much more than that.

I was pleased to be reminded of him, AC. Thanks to Google, it's so much easier now to look at examples of his work:

tinyurl.com/orwq9xx
 Dan Topolski - Armel Coussine
A lot of pictures there JB, quirkily captioned if at all... nevertheless some rather stern drawings by Feliks the elder of notably, a very drunk Evelyn Waugh and a very sober (but probably stoned) Aldous Huxley. Some horrible old judges too among others. You really don't ever want to see one of those staring angrily down at you.

I note that my comments on Daniel Topolski emphasised his charm and his talent for encouragement. Obviously, a certain steeliness was also present. But it wasn't underlined in any way.
Latest Forum Posts