Non-motoring > Lent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 25

Lent - Crankcase
I thought I might do something for Lent this year, but having just discovered its already started I, well, gave up.

I tried giving up chocolate once, when I was about 12. I think I was expected to do something for reasons that now escape me.

Have you gone all hair shirty, or is there something you wish you could give up for Lent?

Lent - Zero
>> I thought I might do something for Lent this year, but having just discovered its
>> already started I, well, gave up.

well thats good, you are supposed to give up stuff for lent.
 Lent - sooty123
Lent isn't something I've even thought about, not on my radar so to speak. I might give up some stuff, depends how long it lasts for?
 Lent - BobbyG
I gave up booze for Lent last year

Primarily because I had reached the 4th week of it and realised that I hadn't had a single drop of alcohol due to various reasons meaning that I was driving every weekend.
So I thought I may as well carry on for the other 2 weeks!
 Lent - Bromptonaut
Means no more to me than Ramadan

I respect other's right to follow it but that's all.
 Lent - CGNorwich
"depends how long it lasts for?"

About six weeks. It starts on Ash Wednesday (the day after Shrove Tuesday which you probably know as Pancake day) and ends on Easter Day.
 Lent - legacylad
I once lent someone a lovely, wooden shafted Stubai ice axe. I gave up ever getting it back years ago.
 Lent - bathtub tom
I've been giving up booze around Lent for about ten years.

More for my liver than for Lent!
 Lent - legacylad
Talking of booze, I can never understand people who give up booze in January. I drink socially, never at home alone, despite being surrounded by several decent bottles of wine, a dozen nice bottles of beer, some malts, gin, Benedictine & Chinchon. I accept that a dry January proves you have willpower. But so does saying 'enough'. One friend did give up the booze in January, was particularly miserable drinking soda in the pub, and has barely had a day off alcohol since.
In my world, life is too short to give up booze in January. Nothing is nicer than 3 or 4 pints in my cosy local early Sunday evening after a day on the hill. Or a few after work with like minded friends on the way home, especially if it's cold and lashing with rain.
My equivalent of Lent is walking the 30 minutes to work in awful weather when using the car would be so much easier. And drier. Day off today so going drinking in KL with chums this afternoon, early night, got to be bright eyed & bushy tailed for work tomorrow.
And just in case anyone thinks I drink too much, I have three 'dry' days a week.
 Lent - Armel Coussine
There was a young prelate of Kent
Whose libido was active, but bent,
Till an access of guilt
Gave him bad brewer's wilt
(So he gave up puff pastry for Lent).

Sorry chaps, but it's been a long day on the road and at a dear friend's funeral. Sexist or racist frivolity is the mourner's friend.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 27 Feb 15 at 23:38
 Lent - Ted

Ah....the old religious Limerick.....

The vicar of Chester in slavery.
Committed great acts of depravity.
To terrible howls
He'd roger young owls
in a crypt fitted out as an aviary.

Not during Lent...of course.

Evenin' all.
 Lent - Armel Coussine
>> Ah....the old religious Limerick...

Whaddya mean, 'old'? Mine is brand new, fresh minted, popped out more or less by itself.

I'm not claiming it's all that good of course. 'Young prelate of Kent' is a bit sort of mainstream.

All the same, 'old' indeed! Faugh! Pish!
 Lent - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> I'm not claiming it's all that good of course. 'Young prelate of Kent' is a
>> bit sort of mainstream.
>>

It gets my vote anyway.

"Kent" does seem to be a useful word in limericks, as it's short and has lots of rhymes.

The old one "There was a young lady of Kent" of course springs to mind.

But now I am reminded of "Wantage" and "Tottenham", both old favourites.
 Lent - Bromptonaut
Devizes has its uses too..

There was a young girl of Devizes whose boobs were of different sizes.........
 Lent - bathtub tom
Let's not forget "Buckingham".
 Lent - neiltoo
There was a young lady of Bude,
Who went for a swim in a lake.
A man in a punt,
Put his hand on her shoulder,
And said " You can't swim here, it's private"

8o)
 Lent - Ted

There was a young man in Australia
who painted his a*** like a Dahlia.
At a penny a smell
he did quite well...
but tuppence a lick was a failure.

Ack..S.Fry.
 Lent - Armel Coussine
There was a young lady of Bude,
Who walked down the street in the nude;
The policeman cried 'What a m
Agnificent bottom!',
And smacked it as hard as he cude.

That was my mother's racy 1930s version. Although straitlaced in reality, she also had a filthy laugh.
 Lent - Roger.
>> Let's not forget "Buckingham".

........................and the Bishop thereof and his bridge-leaning proclivities.
 Lent - Armel Coussine
I've had to stay legally sober all day today because of the 50 mile drive to the Great Wen and back, around 120 miles all told.

Having been here for some time I've almost caught up with two large ones. I'm going to have another now, but a smaller one.

There are times when an 'alcohol problem' seems a blessing. That helps to keep it a problem I suppose. But nothing's perfect, eh? What you gain on the roundabouts you lose on the swings.
 Lent - madf
I made a vow to give up temperance for Lent.

It's a struggle but I am succeeding.....
 Lent - Roger.
Neither a borrower nor a lenter be.
 Lent - Armel Coussine
>> And just in case anyone thinks I drink too much, I have three 'dry' days a week.

Yeah, yeah. We believe you. Thousands wouldn't.

(Incidentally, just in case anyone thinks I drink too much, I certainly do according to recommended intake levels. Like being at school, in the CCF and the boy scouts, it doesn't seem to have done me any serious harm so far. I feel I'm entitled to it now. Strange but true).
 Lent - Avant
Here's a nice fairly innocent one, since it's Lent... (Written not by me but by that fine author Anon - the old name for Salisbury was Sarum):

There was a young curate of Salisbury,
Whose habits were all halisbury-scalisbury:
He went about Hampshire
Without any pampshire,
Till his vicar compelled him to walisbury.
 Lent - Armel Coussine
>> There was a young curate of Salisbury,

A great favourite of my late father, who had suppressed an artist's soul and a wicked sense of humour to pursue a career as a military technocrat.

When he judged I was old enough, he told me the 'NUT SCREWS WASHERS AND BOLTS' tabloid headline story. I was about 30 I think, but I hadn't heard it before and it's funny. I was often horrid to my parents but that was a good moment.
 Lent - Roger.
When I lived in Nottingham (many, many, years ago in the late 1950s) one of the then, two, daily local evening papers carried the headline "Fuchs off again", referring to the intrepid Antarctic explorer, Sir Vivian Fuchs, then on one of his chilly explorations.
Latest Forum Posts