Non-motoring > Now TV subtitles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 8

Now TV subtitles - Ambo
Does anyone who uses Now TV kindly tell me how to engage the subtitles please? (This is what Now calls them whereas Netflix uses "captions" - but rarely provides them for British films anyway). There are lots of requests for them on the Community pages of Now and some "Good idea, we'll work on it" responses. These are mostly old and it is hard to believe nothing has been done about it.
 Now TV subtitles - Zero
>> Does anyone who uses Now TV kindly tell me how to engage the subtitles please?

You can't, its not currently available, nor is there any official promise to make it so.
 Now TV subtitles - Slidingpillar
Pathetic then, no point in me using Now TV as if it's not subtitled, I don't watch. I'm totally deaf.

The BBC subtitles 100% of its programmes (except BBC Parliament), and ITV isn't bad either. What does annoy me though is that most older programmes from America do have a subtitle file (the USA is a bit ahead of us in this respect) but if shown on one of the newer Freeview channels is not shown with subtitles. Ofcom do mandate subtitles and signing, but it's on a age of channel basis and very little is required to meet it at the start.
 Now TV subtitles - VxFan
>> The BBC subtitles 100% of its programmes (except BBC Parliament)

So it's not 100% then.
It's a lengthy argument based on technicalities, but BBC Parliament is not strictly a BBC channel. It's not subject to Ofcom requirements for subtitles and signing so evidently somebody else was convinced too.
 Now TV subtitles - Ambo
Ironically there is a section for engaging subtitles. I had already tried it a dozen times and it does not work. Without them I found "The Wolf of Wall Street" incomprehensible, with the same rapid and poorly-enunciated dialogue as most modern American films, although older ones, and English films, are sometimes better, as are all really old ones. I will see what foreign language films are available on Now TV, since they will be subtitled.

I am enjoying (subtitled) "Better Call Saul" on Netflix, properly fixed as regards film making as such and inventive with it. Its quirkiness seems to be inspired by the Coen brothers' work. Now TV of course does not carry serials, only films.
 Now TV subtitles - R.P.
Better Call Saul appears to be captioned in English English rather than US English judging by the spelling of some words.
 Now TV subtitles - Crankcase
Watching all of Frasier on Netflix at the moment. So many episodes that I'm vacillating between "please, no more, please just let it end" and "please, for the love of all that is Holy, please don't let it end".

Anyway, about one in ten episodes have chunks of subtitle that make perfect sense in context, but the character actually say something entirely different.

I can only assume the subtitlers were working from a different script, and it's intriguing to see what they were GOING to say and then clearly changed, perhaps on the day, who knows.
It's not unknown for a programme to be re-edited after the subtitle file has been compiled. Right pain, both for the user and the subtitler as they get criticism when it's none of their fault.
Latest Forum Posts