Non-motoring > New Phone Time Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 19

New Phone Time - BobbyG
Coming up for phone renewal time. Current phone is an Xperia SP, last one was Xperia Arc but don't really feel any loyalty to any specific maker.

Would be an android phone - don't particularly like iphones with low storage and very controlled by Apple.

Also I have a Samsung Android tablet so lots of shared apps with my phone.

I like my phone to pass the shirt pocket / front Jeans pocket test so prefer the "compacts" rather than the full size mini tablets!

Also, contract wise, looking at less than £30 a month so the probable are

Xperia Z3 compact
S5 mini
HTC M8 compact.

Anyone got any of these and have any pros / cons to report?

I think in reality all phones are much of a muchness now and very rarely would a new phone turn out to be a complete dog and worse than the phone you already had? Having said that, I kept my Xperia Arc for a year SIM only after the contract expired as I didn't really need anything that this phone didn't have. It may well be the same story again!
 New Phone Time - No FM2R

>>S5 mini

I have been through an S3, S4 and S5, although not the "mini"s.

IMO the S4 is a better deal over the S3 (additional capability worth the money)
IMO the S5 is NOT a better deal over the S4 (additional capability not worth the money)

So, assuming that each mini compares reasonably with its big brother, I'd recommend the S4 mini, not the S5 mini. Depends on the deals you can get in the UK, of course.

Know nothing about the Xperias, like the HTC but would have thought it more than you needed/wanted. However HTCs are VERY expensive here, so perhaps I am biased.
 New Phone Time - rtj70
Switch to a SIM only tariff and keep the same phone and save money.

Although this past few days has seen the big mobile phone event so older phones about to get cheaper.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 01:25
 New Phone Time - Duncan
Every permutation you can think of.

www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/sim-only/sim-card/
 New Phone Time - smokie
I have an Xperia Z and have done exactly what rtj suggested. Went from £27 a month to £7 a month (with Virgin) for a better equipped deal (more data, which is what I mostly use).

SWMBO had been on a similar arrangement for a while, and when her Galaxy 3 phone finally gave up the ghost at the end of last year I bought a (rather pricey) Galaxy 5 to go with her £5 a month plan, as over the 24 months of a new contract that worked out the best ( = cheapest) option by more than £100.
 New Phone Time - Zero

>> SIM only after the contract expired as I didn't really need anything that this phone
>> didn't have. It may well be the same story again!

If your fone provides you with everything you need, or want then clearly a sim only contract is the way to go and cut your monthly bill by more than half.
 New Phone Time - Bromptonaut
>> If your fone provides you with everything you need, or want then clearly a sim
>> only contract is the way to go and cut your monthly bill by more than
>> half.

I'd agree with that. If/when you do want/need a new phone look carefully at cost of buying outright from Amazon or wherever. Usually cheaper than a contract and you're not over a barrell if the provider increases prices.
 New Phone Time - R.P.
I ran away from 02 after the end of my contract last year. My old i5 now runs on a 3 SIM only deal. Perfect for me. Unlimited data and tethering and a good phone bundle for £20.00 a month.
 New Phone Time - BobbyG
>>If your fone provides you with everything you need, or want then clearly a sim only contract is the way to go and cut your monthly bill by more than half.

Probably true - as a fan of gadgets I think the joy of new phone ownership has dropped hugely with much less of a "wow" impact than previous phones. I am probably now the polar opposite of those folk that queue overnight at the Apple store to get the latest incarnation of the thing in their pocket that does almost exactly the same job...

Currently with O2 and have been for zonks, missus was with them but recently changed to EE as much better price at the time.

I like the sound of the GIffGaff and if it runs on O2 then I assume that it should mean that I have the same reception ( and same blackspots) as I currently have.
 New Phone Time - R.P.
The only reason I migrated from 02 was lack of 3 (and 4) G in this area. Nothing, nawt. They promised it would improve four years ago when I signed up for a i4. 3's network is pretty sharp around here - even allowing me to peek at the 29mb world of 4G now and again
 New Phone Time - RattleandSmoke
I have an S4 as my main phone, is by far the best phone I have ever owned and even survived a trip in the toilet (never leave a phone on top of the cistern!). I have an S1 I use for my main business phone, it is 5 years old and still going strong, all I've had to is change the battery. The damn thing just never stops working and I am getting old and creaking while that still works as good as new .

A tip is to always buy a phone with a removable battery so if it does get wet you can probably salvage it. Also if you want to keep it long term it is a lot easier to replace the battery. Built in batteries are also easy to replace but finding genuine spares is more less impossible as they are all fakes.
 New Phone Time - rtj70
>> Built in batteries are also easy to replace

Not always. The only way to swap a battery in an HTC One M7 is to take it to pieces. Only access is through the front. The battery is behind everything. You could call it poor design but it's well built.
 New Phone Time - Runfer D'Hills
I used to love BlackBerrys. Had one and various updates pretty much since they came out. I resisted moving to an iPhone until about ten months ago. Couldn't see how it would or could possibly be any more use to me than my old faithful and easy to use BB.

I was so wrong ! My 5S is just fab. If I have to have a phone, ( another discussion entirely ) that's the one.
 New Phone Time - R.P.
I had Blackberries in work, I was so impressed i got a Bold for myself, then the letter "t" failed - a common problem so it seems, when it was a couple of weeks old. Trouble is the was a 't" in password...damn useless thing
 New Phone Time - Runfer D'Hills
My "t" failed on one of mine ! Quite useful Ts. Damn difficult to type emails without them, especially if you're rying o confirm he ime of a meeing.
 New Phone Time - legacylad
My last phone, a Nokia Windows type, was more than acceptable. When I was out of contract with Orange, I spent some dosh and bought a 5S, then took out a SIM only deal with EE. Unlimited calls, texts, two gerbilites of dates and 4G @ £12.99 month. Given that I am hard of learning, I think it a lovely piece of kit. Easy to use, takes nice pics, I can transfer apps and pictures between it and my iPad.
I should have listened to Zeddo and bought one instead of the Nokia Windows two years ago.
 New Phone Time - CGNorwich
I should have listened to Zeddo

Perhaps but he has abandoned his iphone now and bought a Motorola Moto G running Android
 New Phone Time - Bromptonaut
>> I should have listened to Zeddo
>>
>> Perhaps but he has abandoned his iphone now and bought a Motorola Moto G running
>> Android

I've got a Moto G too but previous generation to Z's. It does all I need, ie a phone but with proper keyboard (albeit on touch-screen) and basic internet access plus apps like satnav.
 New Phone Time - CGNorwich
Actually I have the same one as Zero. although I got mine first :-)

I like it a lot a although it's my first smart phone so I don't really have anything to judge it by. Amazed by its capability really. Never thougt I needed a smart phone but wouldn't want to be without one now.
 New Phone Time - legacylad
Yes. I have always been behind the times.
Although not so far as some people in these parts
Latest Forum Posts