Non-motoring > Any Scrabble experts? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 18

Any Scrabble experts? - sherlock47
I post on behalf of a a friend......

Any Scrabble lawyers out there? If the first player cannot lay down a word and instead swaps out tiles, does the second player who covers the central star get double word score. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. xxx(aka xxxxxxx) drew the starting letter but could not go, (she had all consonants), so she swapped tiles. I went second but she did not allow me to double the score for covering the star. Subsequently she claimed victory at xxx 293, yyy 292. Hence the importance, if my first word covering the star had counted double I would have beaten her.

The victory is more important than the marriage :)
 Any Scrabble experts? - WillDeBeest
Yes. The centre star is a double word score like any other, so the benefit goes to the player who lays a word across it.

Later in the game there are bound to be moments where a tempting premium square becomes available but the first player to see it doesn't have a word to put on it. That doesn't stop the first player who can take it from getting the bonus. The same applies to the centre star.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Cliff Pope
>>The centre star is a double word score like any other,
>>
It isn't an ordinary double word score. It only has a star, and doesn't say "double".
So the double effect is awarded for being the first to go, not for covering a double word square.

The argument therefore hinges on what constitutes a "go". Surrendering tiles in exchange for others is clearly stated to count as a go. So if one person has already had a go, then the second person is by definition not the first, so can't qualify for the double starting award.

Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sun 8 Mar 15 at 10:00
No it doesn't. Rule 13 in my set (dated 1953, so perhaps a little modern for some here) notes:

Note that the centre * square is a light red square and therefore doubles the score for the first word.

'First word', not 'first player'. The first player in Sherlock's game passed, so the double score goes to the second player, who played the first word.
Still there in today's edition:
www.hasbro.com/scrabble/en_US/discover/rules.cfm
(Scoring no 4)
 Any Scrabble experts? - Crankcase
By coincidence, I'm posting to Twitter at the minute Amusing Newspaper Clippings (well they amuse me) that we have collected over the last twenty years or so. (@teejayph).

After reading this thread I notice the scrapbook is open on my table at a Scrabble related clipping, where I can tell you that in 1992 the local Scrabble club had a winner with a score of 983 in her two games. She got 143 from "admixes". Other exciting words that scored highly were "untiles" and "cerises".

Just so as you know.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Roger.
I loathe Scrabble.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Slidingpillar
And to get out of the silliness created by those who use scrabble word lists and have no idea of the meaning, in my family we've always played to a nominated dictionary. If it's not in that, tough luck.
Oh well, just arguing for the sake of it.

:)
What a thing to admit! Nobody else here would stoop so low, would they?
};---)
 Any Scrabble experts? - Old Navy
Very diplomatic not to give Zero a mention. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 8 Mar 15 at 17:59
 Any Scrabble experts? - Armel Coussine
I rather hate Scrabble too. For smug pedants mainly. The prospect of a game fills me with wo (a valid alternative spelling for woe, I learned at the Scrabble board).
 Any Scrabble experts? - Duncan
>> I rather hate Scrabble too. For smug pedants mainly. The prospect of a game fills
>> me with wo (a valid alternative spelling for woe, I learned at the Scrabble board).

As is Zo, an alternative spelling for zoo.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Crankcase
As is No, an alternative spelling for you can shove that b***** board game back in the cupboard where the sun don't shine, matey boy.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Ted

I used to play now and again with the girls next door but one. ( Not that way BBD ).

When they bought the book....which seemed to contain every combination of two letters....I stopped playing. Don't the rules mention something about the words must be in a certain dictionary ?
Dire game, I am forced to suffer it sometimes.

I'd ban all two-letter words except common ones the man on the Clapham omnibus might know.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Slidingpillar
Don't the rules mention something about the words must be in a certain dictionary ?

Probably, but that is why in my family we always play to the nominated dictionary that we have. So any arguments as to validity of words are quickly resolved and if you cannot remember them, you can't go looking through a word list.

Takes the 'game' back from being something serious and turns it back into a game for regular people.
 Any Scrabble experts? - No FM2R
I like Scrabble as a game "for regular people".

As soon as someone joins in who has studied all the weird and rare words specifically to win at the game, then it just stops being fun.
 Any Scrabble experts? - Mapmaker
>>As soon as someone joins in who has studied all the weird and rare words specifically to win
>>at the game, then it just stops being fun.

Agreed. It ceases to be a test of innate ability, and becomes a test of ability to play scrabble.
Latest Forum Posts