Non-motoring > Phone insurance condundrum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 16

Phone insurance condundrum - Fursty Ferret
I have phone insurance through my Nationwide Flexplus account. I dropped my phone last week and it tumbled a long way (60+ feet) - many dents, back panel pinged off, broken camera etc.

The insurance company insists the phone is returned to them to evaluate for repair or replacement. I pointed out that the battery has a ruddy great dent in it, is non-removable, and is not safe to send through the post. We've reached an impasse.

I suggest that they supply a new phone based on photographic evidence and a copy of the receipt. They insist on it being posted to them but refuse to accept liability for any issues caused by the damaged battery, nor will they acknowledge that the Royal Mail will not accept it in this condition in the first place.

Head. Wall. Beat. Etc.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sun 8 Mar 15 at 20:34
 Phone insurance condundrum - MD
An acquaintance of mine runs a tool and fixings business. I am fairly sure that he has said that where Lithium Ion batteries are concerned the following (I think) applies. As they ( the Batteries) have been sent from the main supplier to the tool store via a carrier or post then it is my understanding that they are NOT allowed onward 'travel' by a similar method. Tell that to your Insurer.

Apparently they can be/are lethal if they go wrong.

Your Insurer should know better and their evaluation will be no more than a cursory glance (if that) and then in the bin (including the Lithium battery). I've never lost a wrestle with Insurers to date and I don't intend to start now. They just think that you're at it my friend.
 Phone insurance condundrum - R.P.
Tell them to send a courier. It's actually an offence to send volatile materials in the post. Complain against them as well using their complaints procedure then go to the Insurance Ombudsman.
atteries -

From the RM site.

lithium metal/alloy batteries contained in equipment Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. The lithium content must not be more than 1g per cell or 2g per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation or sent with but not contained in equipment are prohibited. Please see www.royalmail.com/internationalprohibitedgoods/business
 Phone insurance condundrum - MD
What I said, but his invoice will be larger due to the articulate nature of 'is responce (sic) 0:-)
 Phone insurance condundrum - BobbyG
Where is insurance head office?
Do you happen to fly over them ? Could wind down your window and chuck it out above them ?
 Phone insurance condundrum - sherlock47
Drop it into your local Nationwide shop? somebody will be not- bright-enough to accept it if your story is credible.
 Phone insurance condundrum - sherlock47
>> Drop it into your local Nationwide shop? somebody will be not- bright-enough to accept it
>> if your story is credible.
>>

Lost my last line

They may just run an internal post system? (or does nobody do that nowadays?)
Spoke to them again on the phone. Pointed out that it's an offence to send volatile materials through the post (excellent line, thanks). Their suggestion? Box it up and don't mention it!

Taken into local branch, manager exceptionally helpful when lithium ion risks explained (fire, explosion, hydrofluoric acid etc) and has raised a formal complaint with head office. Expecting a phone call this afternoon with resolution.

Can't be that hard, if I'd just lost it they'd have simply posted out another, no questions asked.
 Phone insurance condundrum - BobbyG
Too late to this and I have said it before, but this is where Twitter is very useful. Nationwide in particular (who I am also with) have 24 hour cover on Twitter and seem to be very proactive about dealing with any issues (I made use of this once).

It would have been a thought to Tweet them your concern and I bet you would have also got a very quick and professional answer. One to bare in mind next time with any large Customer facing Company.
 Phone insurance condundrum - rtj70
When I've posted a few things recently, I was always asked what was in the packages. But when I sold my last phone when I got a new one I posted it in an envelope from the ASDA phone trade-in service. I don't think the envelope was even padded that they provided. And the post office knew there was a mobile phone with a lithium ion battery in there!

As you say if you'd lost it they would have paid out with no questions asked!

EDIT: How about you remove the non-removable battery which of course was loose after the phone hit the ground.... And so you've sent it minus the battery for them to assess the damage?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 14:34
 Phone insurance condundrum - Zero
>> Spoke to them again on the phone. Pointed out that it's an offence to send
>> volatile materials through the post (excellent line, thanks). Their suggestion? Box it up and don't
>> mention it!

Ok well in that case I would have put it in two packages, one inside the other. The outside one bearing no sign of that contained within.

The inner package would be covered with warning notices about volatile material.

After the bomb squad had been and the anti terrorist squad were interviewing me, I would pop out the recording of the phone conversation.....
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 15:41
Nationwide called today to say that they'd spoken to Royal Mail on the phone and confirmed that they were happy to accept a damaged lithium ion battery in the post provided it's inside the phone. Which, usefully, is entirely different to what the Post Office Droid told me when I actually tried to send it.

Since the back cover will stay on with a rubber band and I've got it in writing from them, shall try again tomorrow...

Edit: Just found this on their website:

Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 18:38
 Phone insurance condundrum - NortonES2
It's trap! The parcel will be confiscated, the phone destroyed and Nationwide will have involuntary continence problems whilst laughing....
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 20:00
 Phone insurance condundrum - rtj70
I assume you'll just post it tomorrow. It's not as if it's a batch of batteries being transported in the hold of a Boeing 777 or an Airbus A330 or some other aircraft.

Bad the envelope, maybe strengthen it with card board inside too.

It will be fine :-)
 Phone insurance condundrum - Old Navy
Unfortunately after this thread should a sorting office get incinerated ...........:)
>> Unfortunately after this thread should a sorting office get incinerated ...........:)
>>

I shall deny everything. At least I won't need to burn the evidence this time.
 Phone insurance condundrum - Zero
>> provided it's inside the phone.

Ah so as long as the battery is surrounded by combustable material that gives off poisonous fumes its fine!
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 20:23
Latest Forum Posts