Non-motoring > Only doing my job Guv' Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 13

Only doing my job Guv' - MD
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-31805312
 Only doing my job Guv' - Zero
Half a story I suspect. No copper is going to waste his time on a simple kid with stabilisers on a pavement jobbie. There is another angle to this.
 Only doing my job Guv' - Westpig
>> Half a story I suspect. No copper is going to waste his time on a
>> simple kid with stabilisers on a pavement jobbie. There is another angle to this.

Exactly.

I did work with the occasional moron, but not to that extent.
 Only doing my job Guv' - Crankcase
On a technical point abut which I don't know the answer, the statement is made that "the child is below the age of criminal responsibility, therefore it's not illegal". I don't think that follows, does it? It's still illegal.

On a pavement cyclist point, a year or two back in our village I saw a lady cycle onto the pavement near the local shop to pull up, at the exact moment a tiny child scampered out of her own drive. Bang. Tears. Child carried inside wailing.

And even today, I pulled slowly out over the pavement from my own driveway, paperboy on bike doing a million on pavement screeched to a halt a few feet away. Ok, in the event of a collision I expect they would say that Mrs C should be standing on the pavement directing me to avoid that, but in reality...well.

I'm almost thinking of paying the £500 required for this, as my Volvo didn't have it fitted at the factory. One of those "how much!? - but if it avoids a thump it will be worth it" purchases

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bWkAJ9Upw

Only doing my job Guv' - legacylad
There is a footbridge over the river near where I live. Large blue & white signs each side which say ''cyclists dismount''. Walking over it late Sunday afternoon with an elderly friend, side by side, when a teenage tearaway came racing over it on his bike. I jumped out of the way smartish. Self preservation. On a good day I would have grabbed him by the neck. My friend lunged but was too slow ( he is 72). The young lad could have ended up 20ft down in the river if my pal had knocked him over the metal railings, then we would have had to leg it smartish.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 10 Mar 15 at 08:39
 Only doing my job Guv' - Bromptonaut
I cannot find it now but at time the cycling on pavement law was clarified there was strong guidance that offence should not be pursued in respect of children, people carefully avoiding dangerous road layouts etc. In other words offence was to be targeted on blatant/dangerous examples.
It's pointed out elsewhere that CTC are wrong about age of criminal responsibility. Offences carried out by infants are still offences it's liability to court process and punishment that kicks in with age.
 Only doing my job Guv' - zippy
I would rather the kid cycle to the local shops, park or whatever if it keeps another car off the roads, leaving more space for me :-). It is time dedicated cycle lanes and paths are set up like Denmark has.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 10 Mar 15 at 10:14
The guidance I mentioned above reads as follows:

The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users.

Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road. Sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.
 Only doing my job Guv' - bathtub tom
>> It's pointed out elsewhere that CTC are wrong about age of criminal responsibility. Offences carried
>> out by infants are still offences it's liability to court process and punishment that kicks
>> in with age.

Isn't the 'responsible adult' accompanying the infant responsible for them?

The inquest into this was held today: www.luton-dunstable.co.uk/year-old-girl-dies-hit-bus-Dunstable-Road-Luton/story-22278013-detail/story.html

Apparently the adult holding the girls hand let go and the child ran to her father who had stopped in the middle of the road to talk to someone he knew in a passing car. The family are hold the bus driver responsible, but they were exonerated today.
 Only doing my job Guv' - No FM2R
National News on the BBC - "policeman tells parents child must not ride on pavement".

Give me strength.
 Only doing my job Guv' - NortonES2
Boateng, endorsed by roads minister Goodwill in 2014, and further endorsed by ACPO.
 Only doing my job Guv' - Armel Coussine
A thick young copper being 'a bit pedantic' (police expression), perhaps following an attitude clash with the nipper's parent. These bizarre incidents blow up out of nothing, although few are as juicy as the Andrew Mitchell kerfuffle... they keep the rest of us amused.
CTC Blogger on subject:

www.ctc.org.uk/blog/victoria-hazael/children-cycle-pavement
Latest Forum Posts