Non-motoring > Sir Terry Pratchett RIP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 16

Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - zippy
He of Discworld Fame and the long white beard!

May he ride to the stars on the back of the Great A'Tuin!
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - R.P.
I never read any of his stuff, but listened to a lot of what he said. Sounded a decent bloke.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - Armel Coussine
Humorous, witty, surrealist sf pulp. Very enjoyable in an ephemeral sort of way.

I look forward to meeting him one day on a captive asteroid with all mod cons.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - Roger.
Hated his books, but R.I.P.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - WillDeBeest
He would have despised your ideas too, Rog.

He wrote too much for it all to be consistently top drawer but when he hit the spot it stayed hit. Men At Arms is one of the finest comic novels I've read, partly because there's much more to it than comedy.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - sooty123
Always sad to see people who bring enjoyment to others go. Can't say I could ever enjoy his books never really 'understood/got' them.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - Zero
>> He would have despised your ideas too, Rog.
>>
>> He wrote too much for it all to be consistently top drawer but when he
>> hit the spot it stayed hit. Men At Arms is one of the finest comic
>> novels I've read, partly because there's much more to it than comedy.

And his inconsistency made him too much like hard work for my taste, but the world will be a poorer place without someone who thought so far out of the box. (or disk)
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - swiss tony
I met him more than once.
His mother, and my mother were friends.

Not met him for many years though.

R.I.P.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - legacylad
Same as R.P
Maybe I should give his books a go
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - bathtub tom
One of my favourite lines from The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

The heroine makes tea for the baddies, whereupon they fall ill. She tells them she's poisoned them and will give them the antidote only if she's released. They release her and she gives them the antidote.

Asked what she poisoned them with, she replies cascara. Asked what was in the antidote, she replies more cascara!
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - BiggerBadderDave
I'd never even heard of him till I watched Going Postal on Sky. Absolutely brilliant.

I'll never read one of his books though.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - Dog
Back in the early noughties, the young son of a friend lent me some Discworld CD's
I wasn't really interested in 'kids game' tbh, but I bunged 'em on an old computer I had at the time.
Absolutely amazing fun! what a brain that Pratchett must have had.

RIP
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - swiss tony
>> Absolutely amazing fun! what a brain that Pratchett must have had.
>>
>> RIP
>>

Thats for sure.
He published his first novel @ 17. of which I have a signed first edition. (The Carpet people...)
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - Dave_
>> his first novel... of which I have a signed first edition

In a tribute in one of the papers yesterday, there was a tale of someone who attended one of his book signings. They presented him with a suitcase full of books, hoping to sell them on for a premium because they'd been signed.

Pratchett saw them, rolled his eyes and said, "OK, but only the first ten."
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - John Boy
tinyurl.com/jvfu7b5
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - Armel Coussine
I don't remember seeing that mural. Some time since I was in that district, which was getting very artsy a long time back.

It's good in a slightly garish way and looks quite expensive so to speak. Some Arts Council or GLA involvement perhaps. Doubtless local commerce kicked in too.
 Sir Terry Pratchett RIP - John Boy
It's been painted over an existing mural at the north end of Code Street. If you go into Google Streetview there, you're able to move around pedestrianised areas where there are lots of murals.

Latest Forum Posts