Non-motoring > Travel insurance Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Travel insurance - legacylad
Ignorance was bliss....it was always so easy, just buying an annual multi trip policy which included winter sports. A 15 minute online job, ensuring sufficient medical cover. Then recently I heard of unexpected problems when two friends made claims. I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say the claims were not met as they thought they would be. Caveat emptor I believe.
So now I shall have to trawl the small print, making sure my single article limit is sufficient, preferably new for old, and all contingencies are catered for.
 Travel insurance - Clk Sec
Don't forget to let them know if you had a head cold twenty years ago, or a nervous twitch in 2007.
 Travel insurance - Bromptonaut
Reference to single article limit suggests issue was lost/damaged possessions.

Often better to cover these by extending relevant sections of household cover,, leaving travel policy for delay, medical etc. Worked for us when mate capsized a dingy and Mrs B lost her bifocals and 'Fitflops' on bottom of French lake.
 Travel insurance - Zero
>> Reference to single article limit suggests issue was lost/damaged possessions.
>>
>> Often better to cover these by extending relevant sections of household cover,

^^^^^ wot he said, if its that valuable or important it should be separately covered - Travel cover is for travel type emergencies
 Travel insurance - Crankcase
Indeed. A Scottish holiday planned this year is costing about £1000. I noticed in the small print afterwards, not mentioned by them anywhere upfront, that "travel insurance is a condition of booking". I've never bothered with UK travel insurance before but thought I'd nip online. What could it be - £20? Googled, found a couple of online places to get quotes.

After I'd answered question after question, each of which seemed to spawn more questions, and the premium each time "recalculated" upwards, it gave up at £145 and said I'd need to call them.

What folk with something actually properly wrong with them other than two people on blood pressure tablets and one having a swift ride to the hospital with a kidney stone in the last year do I can't imagine.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 13 Mar 15 at 09:02
 Travel insurance - Zero
>> Indeed. A Scottish holiday planned this year is costing about £1000. I noticed in the
>> small print afterwards, not mentioned by them anywhere upfront, that "travel insurance is a condition
>> of booking".

But they don't say what type. This is inserted in holiday bookings as a way of saying "you can't claim anything from us if you can't make the trip" They never check, its just a tick box to beat you with later if it goes TU. So if you can afford the loss of holiday, ignore it.

And for the UK, thats all the cover you need, cancelation. Your current insurances you have in place cover you for everything else.

Travel insurance - Crankcase
Yes, that was pretty much my conclusion. It's a risk I'm prepared to take.

I have used other UK booking companies before where they whack £25 or something onto the final invoice for insurance, requiring you to remove it if you don't want it. Surprised these people don't, seems like they're missing the chance for a profit.
 Travel insurance - rtj70
I once had to claim for damaged items due to a car accident. Can't recall the company we had it with (the name would have been a front for a real insurer, e.g. I know Post Office swaps insurer often) but there was a limit. In fact I'd get very little back! I did claim for medical and other expenses on that policy.

I recollect the insurer also wanted me to send the camcorder to them at my expense for them to even consider replacing/fixing it. And as I say, the overall limit meant I'd not get much back either.

I then claimed, with ease, for the other items under the household insurance policy with Barclays. They paid up in no time. And sent a courier to collect the camcorder which was then replaced in days.

So read the small print!
Thanks all for your replies.
Having spoken with my household insurer, personal contents, up to £2500, are covered away from the home worldwide. So that covers the iPad, phone and camera .
i have just renewed my annual worldwide multi trip, inc winter sports, which provides cancellation cover up to £5k and with no excess waiver.
Nearer the time I will need to add cover for the 'dangerous' part of the October trip.
Thanks again
Thanks all for your replies.
Having spoken with my household insurer, personal contents, up to £2500, are covered away from the home worldwide. So that covers the iPad, phone and camera .
i have just renewed my annual worldwide multi trip, inc winter sports, which provides cancellation cover up to £5k and with no excess waiver.
Nearer the time I will need to add cover for the 'dangerous' part of the October trip.
Thanks again
 Travel insurance - Duncan
2 hours 11 minutes between clicks? That must be some sort of record!
 Travel insurance - No FM2R
I think the site had a wobble.
 Travel insurance - Dave_
Chatting to my dad's neighbours last year about holidays, they told me that now they're both over 80 the single trip insurance often costs more than the holiday itself.
Latest Forum Posts