Non-motoring > Smart phone screen protectors. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 68

Smart phone screen protectors. - No FM2R
Anybody got any comments on glass versus plastic screen protectors?

It seems that the glass one is stronger and more protective, but thicker and so can be an irritant around sunken buttons and the like.

I also wonder how it is glued to the scree and whether or not that means it would simply transfer any shocks and cause the screen to break anyway.

On the other hand, anything which offers a bit more protection against my children and their handling of a phone would be welcome.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - zippy
I have this one for my S5:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J7E6YOG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

(I hope the link works but if it doesn't the item is Item model number: AK-77SMGLXS5-1T1A and the ASIN is ASIN: B00J7E6YOG)

It works. Your screen should be really clean before it is attached - and cleaning equipment is provided. It is a bit more reflective than the original screen but works well.

Have not dropped it yet so can't comment about how good the protection against shocks is.

The instructions suggest placing it above the screen before putting it in place but it was "sucked" in to place almost immediately with only a couple of tiny bubbles that were pushed out with the supplied bar. There are bubbles now because the kids have peeled the glass off a couple of times to see how it worked.

Forgive the barrage.....

Does it noticeably stick up? Do the buttons feel more sunken? Could you still use a phone cover?

How does the screen feel to touch? Still easy to slide a finger around?

Does the cover come off easily? Has it scratched? Does it get more or less mucky than the screen?

Thanks Zippy.
Does it noticeably stick up? Hardly. It is thicker than a film protector but i don't notice it.

Do the buttons feel more sunken? Yes. The home button is lower but I hardly notice it.

Could you still use a phone cover? Yes, I have a chunky one fitted.

How does the screen feel to touch? Fine - a little more slippery than the standard screen.

Still easy to slide a finger around? Yes - no issues with the sensitivity of the touch screen either.

Does the cover come off easily? Yes - kids have peeled it off :-O Gets bubbles at the edges when put back (designed for one use only).

Has it scratched? Yes but hardly noticed - mainly from coins and keys in the same pocket.

Does it get more or less mucky than the screen? More - it seems to attract fingerprints - which the main downside.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Zero
I bought plastic film ones for the Moto and the iPhone. However you need to spend good money to get good ones. I paid a fiver for two (tortoise?) I think, and they work well. No loss of "touch" good stickability, no bubbles, they fit well, and they protect the screen from my coins and keys when jangling in my pocket.

Along with a rubber bumper, Its more or less protected - unless someone steps on it again!
I don't get on well with the plastic ones, aside from anything else I don't like the way they feel.

And I seem to damage them quite quickly.

Also, its impact I'm worried about more than scratches and the glass ones seem like they might protect against that more.

Since Zippy has also got an S5 and seems to get on with it, I think I'll probably give it a go.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Dave_
I've got the Tech21 self-healing screen protector on my S5:

shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/accessories/sku83028-Clear

coupled with the Tech21 Impactology impact mesh semi-rigid case:

shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/accessories/sku83033-Clear

The phone has been dropped off my lorry dashboard and out of the open door (about 9 feet) onto concrete more than once; it gets used constantly and abused frequently. I have no complaints at all about either product, they are worth every penny.

My daughter, on the other hand, has cracked 2 iphone screens in 6 months by accidentally nudging them off the sofa.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Old Navy

>> My daughter, on the other hand, has cracked 2 iphone screens in 6 months by
>> accidentally nudging them off the sofa.
>>

Get he one of these.:)

www.doro.co.uk/Products/Mobile-phones-and-accessories/Doro-PhoneEasy-520/
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Stuartli
The Gorilla Glass phone/tablet screens are remarkably scratch resistant and, providing you keep such devices in a pocket without keys or away from sharp objects, coins etc will not come to any harm.

Used to use a screen protector, but found that they spoiled the tactile feel of scrolling the display so dumped them.

My near year old HTC One M8 (as was the case with its One X predecessor), plus a Nexus 10in tablet haven't have a scratch between them. That also applies to a Pulsar Kinetic blue face watch that's worn daily and without any particular care being taken of its well being over the past four or five years.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 14 Mar 15 at 00:30
>> The Gorilla Glass phone/tablet screens are remarkably scratch resistant and, providing you keep such devices
>> in a pocket without keys or away from sharp objects, coins etc will not come
>> to any harm.

My idea of "scratch resistant" and your idea of "scratch resistant" must be different then.

Your version seems to be, "they are scratch resistant as long as they don't come near anything scratchy"

At the end of the day, Gorilla Glass is just a marketing con.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Runfer D'Hills
My iPhone is in a sort of fold over leather wallet thing. It protects the screen by default. No need for a screen cover. So far so good. Kicks around in my pocket like that every day and doesn't seem to come to any harm.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Bromptonaut
Never thought of the pocket as a suitable place for a phone. Apart from bulk there's too much chance of contact with something scratchy. Started wearing the Motorola MR20 on my belt and done same with all its successors, various Nokias, Sonys and latterly Motorola G.

Belt clips are getting more difficult to find though. Currently using a Fosman thingy which provides rubber armour for the phone and fastens to a clip that stays on the belt. Downside is weight and, were I to use one rather than a Rohan webbing jobby, wear on leather belt.
There's really no hope for you Bromp is there? Belt clips, Rohans, Berlingos and a caravan...

Sheesh, where do I start?

;-))
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Roger.
>> There's really no hope for you Bromp is there? Belt clips, Rohans, Berlingos and a
>> caravan...
>>
>> Sheesh, where do I start?
>>
>> ;-))
Socks with sandals on a sunny beach?
Pac-a-mac? Harold & Hilda kagools?
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Duncan
>> Started wearing the Motorola MR20 on my belt and done same with all its successors,

OMG!

All my prejudices confirmed in one fell swoop!
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Clk Sec
>> >> Started wearing the Motorola MR20 on my belt and done same with all its
>> successors,

I Can't quite recall which one I saw last. Was it an IAM sticker proudly displayed on the boot of a Triumph Herald, or a mobile in a holster, like Hopalong Cassidy...

>> Belt clips are getting more difficult to find though.

Belt clips are for wannabe scout leaders and tend to launch the phone down the bog when having a crap.

>>
>> Belt clips are for wannabe scout leaders and tend to launch the phone down the
>> bog when having a crap.

Colleagues ragged me for looking an IT techy!!

Agree though that care is need when doing number twos.;-)

>> Belt clips are getting more difficult to find though.

There's a reason for that.
I do so hope he's not going to tell us he has a bum bag...
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Manatee
I was about to suggest that!

You're not much of an enthusiast for useful accessories are you?

Bet you have a natty Italian manbag though?

>> Bet you have a natty Italian manbag though?

Er, no.
>> I do so hope he's not going to tell us he has a bum bag...

What the Yanks call a 'fanny bag'? Sheesh, that would be a step too far.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - BiggerBadderDave
fanny bag - a milf

bum bag - Gok Wan
 Smart phone screen protectors. - sooty123
>> What the Yanks call a 'fanny bag'? Sheesh, that would be a step too far.
>>

Oh I dunno, from the caravanning to the belt clip I think it's just a small step away. Go on you know you want to ;-)
 Smart phone screen protectors. - PeterS
I'm not that precious about a phone. It's just a phone. I've never had a cover, bumper, screen protector or whatever. If it gets scuffed it gets scuffed. If I drop it it gets marked. So far it hasn't been irreparable damaged, but if it is then it's probably time for a new one :) I see no sense in spending £50+ on a cover for a phone. It's a bit like buying insurance from Currys for a washing machine as far as I'm concerned. Why insure for something you could afford to pay for. Or, why buy a nicely designed phone and then cover it up... Mind you, I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I'm still using a 64gb iphone 4S because it's just the right size and has enough space for my music and videos :)

And belt clips have never been on my radar. Nor have bluetooth headsets :p
>>Your version seems to be, "they are scratch resistant as long as they don't come near anything scratchy">>

No, just common sense care of my HTC One M8 that cost me a fair wad of money nearly a year ago.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Kevin
Try one of these:

tinyurl.com/pphjlbw

It's a replacement rear cover with a flip-over screen protector. It adds about 1mm to the thickness of phone but protects it without bits of plastic or glass that are going to get scratched anyway. I've used one on my S3 for the last couple of years and the screen is still as new.

You can even have a pink one.
Last edited by: Kevin on Sat 14 Mar 15 at 20:17
Despite being tempted by the pink, the flip-over doesn't work for me.

I have a rubber cover which covers the back and sides, and then a hard cover which goes over that. The screen is protected insofar as the rubber sticks proud of the front and so if one dumps it on a table then the glass doesn't actually touch the table.

The one issue which concerns me is dropping it on rocks/gravel/uneven surfaces as No 1 daughter did recently and smashed her screen.

So I've just been down some local licensed bandit and had him put on a glass protector for me. It was in a package marked Anker, although at best that's merely a suggestion, it may well be made and packaged by Wong Fu Enterprises.

We'll see how it works out, although its quite clearly Zippy's fault if I don't like it.
>> I have a rubber cover which covers the back and sides, and then a hard
>> cover which goes over that. The screen is protected insofar as the rubber sticks proud
>> of the front and so if one dumps it on a table then the glass
>> doesn't actually touch the table.

That pretty much describes my Fosman jobby except that in my case the hard cover incorporates a belt clip.
That's a pretty big "except"!!
>> That's a pretty big "except"!!

:-)
 Smart phone screen protectors. - WillDeBeest
If you're going to clip your phone to your belt, you'll need to carry a big bunch of keys there as well or the other Little Chef managers will laugh and point at you.
I bought one of these excellent leather cases for my previous HTC One X phone (£2.99 delivered from Amazon)..:-)

tinyurl.com/lec5jtz
>> If you're going to clip your phone to your belt, you'll need to carry a
>> big bunch of keys there as well or the other Little Chef managers will laugh
>> and point at you.
>>

On one of those telephone cords as well, just for the full look.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Manatee
Spectacle chains.

Good on Bromp for being practical and not a fashion victim like all you mockers:)
Bought a glass one 4 hours ago. (Not a cheap one).

Dropped my phone 5 minutes ago - not particularly hard, onto carpet, as I have done a million times before.

Glass protector broke. Shattered even. Phone perfectly ok.

Pile of s***, won't bother again. Back to film.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 15 Mar 15 at 22:25
ITYS

LTYUZ
MUZKFA.
YULS
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Armel Coussine
Ah shaddap you guys. You sound like a couple of queers talking in code behind the bike sheds.
I wouldn't know AC, but I'll take your word for it.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Armel Coussine
>> I wouldn't know AC, but I'll take your word for it.

You may as well.

It's true that we aren't all observant and we don't all understand what we see and hear. I'm sure you're an excellent fellow all the same.
Its true, I am not always as aware as I should be. Mind you, I haven't spent anytime behind the bike sheds to observe anything, or not.

Probably best that you were paying attention, makes the crime report so much easier.
Disappointed to note that my Samsung Galaxy S5 screen has cracked in the top corner and the screen does not come on at all.

The glass screen protector is totally intact and it was wearing a tough case so I am at a loss as to how it happened because the phone has not been dropped.

I may visit the store and ask them to take a look at other possible causes as I would have thought that the glass screen protector would have cracked if the inner screen has cracked!

Not happy as I have been quoted £160 for a repair and the man maths does not quite make a fix worth it when a new S5 can be obtained for about £300!

:-(
Just repair it yourself, it's not difficult. Plenty of videos on youtube and cheap repair kits on amazon.
Unfortunately the new screens are about £118 on Amazon. Still on the expensive side.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - legacylad
I bought myself a Tech Armor tempered glass screen to go on my 5S. Fits well with the toughened case. Easy to fit, still tactile. Not sure it it will make any difference if I drop it!
>> Unfortunately the new screens are about £118 on Amazon. Still on the expensive side.
>>

Ouch, nowhere any cheaper?
I managed to completely shatter the screen on my iPhone 6 within a week of getting it. No protector fitted - the 4S that proceeded it had survived any number of knocks and drops over the few years I had it... No matter, an Apple Genius (!!) replaced it in a couple of hours for what I thought was a very reasonable £79 :)
>> my Samsung Galaxy S5 screen has cracked in the top corner and the screen does not come on at all.

There are three layers in ascending order of price and difficulty to replace;

Front glass
Digitiser
LCD screen.

From the sound of it you've broken all three, which is why you're getting quoted the £118 - and even that is not the OEM part which is probably another £20 or £30.

It not being OEM is a little bit of a risk; it may not be quite the quality and it might not work quite as well.

Given that I recommend getting a new phone (obviously).

But I would also buy a pattern display assembly to repair the old phone with.

It'll either be a seful reserve or you can then sell the repaired one, if successful, with all the original bits including box on eBay for about £180 and you can get your money back if you want.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 1 Jun 15 at 19:49
>>There are three layers in ascending order of price and difficulty to replace;

What confuses me is that the front glass is fine not a scatch on it. The crack is on the layer below that which is why I suspect something else is wrong.

I will take it back to the shop (Vodafone) later in the week to see what they say but I am not holding out much hope.
I should think it got hit on the end/edge - stuff in your pocket can be a killer.

Its not so much the strength of the bang as its "unforgivingness" if you see what I mean. a slight tap with a stone versus a large bang with a piece of wood.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 00:51
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Bobby
Peter, was that repair in an official Apple store?

Have heard of folks getting iphone screen repairs at all these back street shops and often wondered how much Apple themselves charged to repair them?

Today I have switched cases on my iphone 6 - from the rubber sturdy case
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULAK-Heavy-Duty-Shock-Proof-Silicone-Gel-Rubber-Case-Cover-For-iPhone-5S-5-4S-4-/181508196356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=480462952253&hash=item2a42bb4804

to the leather wallet type
www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmbh-6-205/64341303

purely cos it was cheap and I felt that it might actually protect the screen itself from damage. Not sure if it would do any better, possibly worse, in a drop compared to the rubber sturdy one.

However I have actually found that the wallet type is easier to use, I am right handed so the left hand holds the flap open as the right hand texts, scrolls etc.

One day I will maybe phone someone from it as well and see how that works :)
Yea Bobby, mine was fixed at an Apple Store. Apparently the 6 is £20 cheaper than the 5 when it comes to replacement screens - a measure, perhaps, of how easy they are to break...

Still no screen protector for me however...I'll live dangerously for a while longer ;)
I bought this one from Tech21. A bit dearer than yours, Bobby!

www.tech21.com/impact-flip-iphone-5c-case-black.html
>> I bought this one from Tech21. A bit dearer than yours, Bobby!
>>
>> www.tech21.com/impact-flip-iphone-5c-case-black.html

You are a all mad

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L80283S
 Smart phone screen protectors. - Old Navy
I get it, you buy a fragile phone, which you don't use for phone calls. It costs several £00s, most likely on the never never, buy the cheapest crappy case for it and are surprised when it breaks. Strange concept. :-)
>> I get it, you buy a fragile phone, which you don't use for phone calls.
>> It costs several £00s, most likely on the never never, buy the cheapest crappy case
>> for it and are surprised when it breaks. Strange concept. :-)

As usual, you have it completely round the wrong way and missed the point by a million miles

the case is really cheap because its not bothering to try and enhance the looks of the phone, and at the same time makes it useable.
>> I get it, you buy a fragile phone, which you don't use for phone calls.
>> It costs several £00s, most likely on the never never, buy the cheapest crappy case
>> for it and are surprised when it breaks. Strange concept. :-)
>>

Don't forget, he is a train spotter.

Things like personal appearance come as strange concepts to most of them.
 Smart phone screen protectors. - CGNorwich
I have never bothered with a case for my smartphone. Just keep in a pocket without any coins change etc. Most cases and glass protectors make phones less usable to a greater or lesser degree.
That's what I thought CGN. In my case ( no pun intended) the screen protector and case, bought from Snorg whilst in the USA, do not seem to make any difference to the usability.
Still make calls, take pics & video, check my stocks, use FlightRadar etc
Every time I see a smartphone thread I become happier that I neither need, nor have, one.
If I was still working (UGH!) I would have a different opinion, I expect.
Mind you I WAS one of the first people of those whom I knew, to have a Motorola "brick" phone, back in the day.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 12:11
No need to spend a fortune on one Roger. £150 will get you a perfectly decent phone and you will find it incredibly useful. I was a late convert but wouldn't go back to a basic phone now.
>> No need to spend a fortune on one Roger. £150 will get you a perfectly
>> decent phone and you will find it incredibly useful. I was a late convert but
>> wouldn't go back to a basic phone now.

My Motorola G was even less although I probably got it extra cheap as a run out model.
Funnily enough just checked out the price of my Moto G and its now down to £104 which is incredible value - I paid £135 a year ago and thought that was cheap.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KB0YDBG?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=1&n=560798
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 13:01
Roger, you might be surprised how much use you got out of a modern smartphone. I took some great photos and a short video a few evenings ago whilst out dog walking. Synced them to my iPad and showed them to my old Mum. Check my emails, weather in various places, walking routes, plenty of useful apps, surf the net. And make calls. Communicate with friends by text group to arrange stuff. And I'm the wrong side of 50.
I have a meat & veg phone with big keys and loud noises (DORO).
I use GiffGaff PAYG and the last time I topped it up was in 05/04/2013.
My wife also has a phone on GiffGaff and that was topped up on 29/04/2013!
Half of the time I don't know where it is - but I have been using it a little lately as I've had to return calls to mobiles and it's cheaper by GiffGaff to mobile than BT landline to mobile.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 2 Jun 15 at 13:52
Latest Forum Posts