Non-motoring > Razor recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 39

Razor recommendations - Roger.
I do most of my shaving with a Phillips wet 'n dry shavers using cheap shaving gel.
About twice a week, however, I DO like a proper wet shave.
I have been using the excellent 5 blade system from ALDI, but the unfeeling bludgers have stopped selling both the razor & the blade packs. From my experience, I would imagine that they were not making enough money from the 5 blade packs 'cos they last so long.
Their 3 blade razor is vile and I discarded one I bought as an alternative, after three or four shaves.
So I've been looking at alternatives and have come across a tool called the Razorpit blade sharpener - really a cleaner. It has had numerous ecstatic reviews on Amazon :-0
Being a tightwad and not being prepared to being ripped off by the major brand's blade costs, I may consider buying one and teaming it up with a 5 blade system of some sort.
I'm considering the Gillette Fusion, the Wilkinson Sword Aqua 5, the Shick 5 blade or even the latest offering from King of Shaves.
Has anyone real life experience to offer before I decide?

Razor recommendations - MD
I bought the king of shaves after a recommendation on here I think. It seemed great at first, but using subsequent blades left a lot to be desired and it's never used now. Gillette fusion for me despite the cost of blades.
 Razor recommendations - Robbie34
I have recently bought a safety razor from Amazon. It was quite expensive for what it is -£24.95 - but I get an excellent shave. I also bought a shaving brush and tub of shaving soap from Asda. They also sell safety razor blades.

Granted, it's not as quick using the shaving soap rather than a can of foam, but the results are far better.
 Razor recommendations - Runfer D'Hills
Fusion every time. Like tyres, no point in skimping.
 Razor recommendations - Alastairw
King of Shaves Azor for me. Nice clean shave, blades are good value, and British, to boot.
 Razor recommendations - madf
>> Fusion every time. Like tyres, no point in skimping.
>>

+1

Power: smooth as a baby's rear round bits...
 Razor recommendations - Dog
I use a Ford Fusion too, and I'm a weirdy beardy.

:}
 Razor recommendations - Stuartli
The blue Gillette or Wilkinson twin blade disposable razors give an excellent shave, cost £1 or less for a packet of five and each one lasts at least a week to 10 days.
 Razor recommendations - Clk Sec
Fusion here, too. And the blades last me about six weeks.
 Razor recommendations - Robin O'Reliant
A tip from one who knows -

Don't buy the pack of 25 disposables from the 99p shop. A sanding disc in a Black & Decker will give you a closer shave without so much loss of blood.

Thank God I didn't buy the budget pack of thirty for the same price.
 Razor recommendations - Zero
Lectric.
 Razor recommendations - Clk Sec
They never quite do the job properly, do they? I have one for holidays though, when I can't be bothered with the wet stuff.
 Razor recommendations - sooty123
>> They never quite do the job properly, do they? I have one for holidays though,
>> when I can't be bothered with the wet stuff.
>>

I'm of a similar mind, never got on with leccy shaver.
 Razor recommendations - Runfer D'Hills
Bad for polar bears though, electric ones.
>> Bad for polar bears though, electric ones.

Shaving rash?
 Razor recommendations - WillDeBeest
Quattro Titanium is my regular at home, but I have a Fusion in my travel kit (a distress purchase on a trip where I forgot to pack a razor.) Either, with King of Shaves Alphagel, gives a shave I couldn't reasonably ask to improve on. I lose track of how long the blades last but it's months rather than weeks; I think the key is keeping them clean, which is easy when you shave in the shower.

I hate the idea and waste of disposables; just so unnecessary. I used the one in the Air France amenity kit during a recent long flight and wished I hadn't: could have made a black pudding with the blood I lost. As Humph says, no point in skimping.
 Razor recommendations - Cliff Pope
Like tyres, no point in skimping.
>> >>
>>

Winter razor or all the year round?
 Razor recommendations - swiss tony
The biggest problem with multiblade razors, is should one cut oneself, you have a multicut!
 Razor recommendations - Aretas
Cheapest and, in my view, the most effective was of cleaning razor blades is with a cotton bud. I do this about once a week and find Gillette Mach 3 blades last about 6 weeks.
 Razor recommendations - Ted

Blowlamp.
 Razor recommendations - Lygonos
Shave about once over 4-8 weeks when I can be bothered.

I've found Gillette Mach 3 blades slice through the thatch faster than single or double blades, and don't clog up instantly like the 4-blade one I tried.
 Razor recommendations - No FM2R
>>Shave about once over 4-8 weeks when I can be bothered.

Oh good man!!

I shave about once every 4-8 months, and then only if either someone has died or someone is paying me to do so.

The rest of the time I use a beard trimmer on its shortest setting. No hassle, no rashes, no cuts. And that's been my approach for 27 years.
>>I use a beard trimmer on its shortest setting. No hassle, no rashes, no cuts. And that's been my approach for 27 years.

What beard trimmer do you use Martin? I've got a brilliant American-made Oster 606, but I only use that for my hair, as its mains only.

I also have a little battery-operated Panasonic thing, which is next to useless.

My main trimmer is a rechargeable Remington jobbie but, it seems to require charging every 5 mins or so.
 Razor recommendations - Duncan
>> >>I use a beard trimmer on its shortest setting. No hassle, no rashes, no cuts.
>> And that's been my approach for 27 years.
>>
>> What beard trimmer do you use Martin?
>>

I don't suppose he will mind if you call him Martin.
>>I don't suppose he will mind if you call him Martin.

I'll Mark that down as an okay then.

>> I don't suppose he will mind if you call him Martin.

I sometimes think of him as a Martian, does that count?
I refer to him as the Chilean, to the missus.
Dunno Doug, its a Remington something or other. I'll have a look later and let you know.
 Razor recommendations - Dutchie
Wet shave every day or every other day if I feel like it.I have the Gillette Fushion.You press a button and it vibrates.What the vibration is for I haven't got a clue.Maybe sex up my ugly snout.

Also a Edwin Jagger with brush and soap daughters present.
 Razor recommendations - Roger.
Thanks for all the input!
I've gone for a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 - a pretty standard non-vibrating thingy, together with the Razorpit basic "sharpener".
Ordered both yesterday from Amazon: arrived 10:12 am this morning!
Pleased to see the razor comes with one spare blade as well as the fitted one. As it only cost £4.69, if I can make those two blades last a good time I'm happy enough.
I may even wet shave more often, as the leccie thing, as with all the different ones I've tried over many years, does not do a really good job.
 Razor recommendations - Mapmaker
King of Shaves Azor 5 for me. Just bought a "year's" supply (48 blades, which will last me some years...) from their website for £36.
>>What beard trimmer do you use

Doug, its a Nicky Clarke Xtreme Rechargeable. Its got to be 5 years old at least.

Now you know, although I'm not sure that's added any value to your life!
Cheers Martin, cheap ole thing, like my Remington. This is the Oster 606 I mentioned.
I bought mine in Tenerife about 18 years ago for around £30. Its mains only though, hence the rechargeable Rem.
I did a number one tuppenny all of when I first bought the Oster, the missus did her nut!!

Ere tis, gorn up a bit in price I see! preview.tinyurl.com/mcpnz99
>> >>What beard trimmer do you use
>>
>> Doug, its a Nicky Clarke Xtreme Rechargeable. Its got to be 5 years old at
>> least.

Nicky Clarke? you are gonna need to get yourself an mx5
Too butch for me.
 Razor recommendations - Boxsterboy
Philishave for me. Can't be asked with all that wet shave faffing.
 Razor recommendations - matt a
+1!
 Razor recommendations - Steve
For experience, grow a beard. I have a full white one. You really would be surprised at the changed reactions of friends and strangers.
 Razor recommendations - WillDeBeest
...and elves.
 Razor recommendations - R.P.
Match 3. Hunt them down online and in real shops for the cheapest deals. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new razor and a five pack when they're on offer. I bought a Philips wet and dry jobby for use in the van. Never beeb impressed with an e;lectric shave. I use Gillette foam/gel never skimp on that either.
Latest Forum Posts