Non-motoring > History lesson Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 7

History lesson - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-30398060
Interesting article - I had not heard the story of the pilot escapee.
Have the Germans made their own film of Die Große Flucht ?

Nothing changes in racial stereotyping? Quote taken from the report .......

"Local people developed their own view of the incomers. One noted: "The Italians spent most of their time singing, posing and trying to catch the eye of any female, while the Germans proved more hardworking and reliable than their Latin counterparts."
 History lesson - Harleyman
Von Werra's story is told in the film, "The One That Got Away";

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_von_Werra

Book is well worth a read too. A very brave and determined man, for all that he was a bit of a self-publicist by all accounts.

As you will note he eventually escaped from Canada into the USA, something which would later prove impossible once the Yanks finally entered the war; there is no official record of any Axis POW successfully escaping from the British mainland.
 History lesson - Zero
>> Von Werra's story is told in the film, "The One That Got Away";

good book, and film. I had an unofficial explore of an ex pow camp in Northamptonshire, that had been used as chicken coops. Fascinating and not just a little spooky.
 History lesson - Runfer D'Hills
Centre Parcs?
 History lesson - Bromptonaut
My parents had a 'Champion Book Club' edition of the book along with companion volumes covering the RAF heroes Bader, Tuck and Cheshire. They must have been 'choices of the month' or some such thing 'cos the subject wasn't something that interested either of them.

I've got Tuck and Bader books. Don't know where Von Werra went - probably in a cupboard at Mum's somewhere.

Or maybe that's the one that got away.....
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 15 Mar 15 at 15:36
 History lesson - Cliff Pope
Our house was owned for 25 years by a German ex POW and his Welsh wife after the war.
He worked during imprisonment on a large Pembrokeshire farm, and after the war married the farmer's daughter and they bought and farmed our place.

A famous escapee of course was Heinrich Harrer, who escaped from a POW camp in India and made his way to Tibet, where he became tutor and advisor to the Dalai Lama. ("Seven Years in Tibet")
 History lesson - Zero
>> Centre Parcs?

No, less barbed wire than that.
 History lesson - Ambo
>>Von Werra's story is told in the film, "The One That Got Away";

Oddly, not available from Lovefilm
Latest Forum Posts