Non-motoring > Where do you fit in the political spectrum? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 57

Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Zero
Find out here

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31973051

Me?

Your answers place you slightly to the right of the political centre in comparison with the rest of the population in 2014.
You scored 15 out of 25
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Duncan
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Haywain
At 9, I appear to be well to the left. Brompto et al won't believe this.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Bromptonaut
I got 8 but it's a very broad brush set of questions with a heavy bias towards economic and labour force issues. Nothing on immigartion, foreign relations, attitude to ECHR etc.

Political compass is a better all round test.

www.politicalcompass.org/test
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 14:49
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Haywain
"Political compass is a better all round test. "

Anyone else had a go at Bromto's test? I came out as.....

Economic Left/Right: -5.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.56

Apparently I inhabit the 'left authoritarian quadrant of the political compass' along with Pol Pot, Joe Stalin and Robert Mugabe; I just about coincide with Castro's crotch, someway to the left of Nick Clegg.

I was hoping for some guidance regarding which way I should vote in the forthcoming GE.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Manatee
>> "Political compass is a better all round test. "
>>
>> Anyone else had a go at Bromto's test? I came out as.....
>>
>> Economic Left/Right: -5.63
>> Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.56

Yes. I am -10.88, -4.82, left (very it seems) libertarian, on Ghandi's chest.

I have printed my certificate.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - No FM2R

Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.23

Not sure what to make of that. Am I a balanced individual or a wuss?

I found the questions annoying though, they were emotive and introduced bias;

e.g.

Because corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily protect the environment, they require regulation.

"cannot be trusted"??. In fact, arguably, a company which spends money on protecting the environment can be charged for not doing the best for the financial interests of its shareholders.

So I believe VERY strongly that corporations should be regulated to protect the environment, but that's not really because they "can't be trusted", its because the need for environmental protection rises beyond the demands of profit and loss.

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

Well, that is an advantage of a one-party state, but one-party states are bad, potentially *really* bad. So where do I go with that one?

etc. etc.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 20 Mar 15 at 19:15
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - sooty123
I got economic -5.25 liberal -7.18 looks like I should be in the green party.
I read trusted" as "relied upon" which is the only way it makes sense.

And I answered yes to the one party state question as the proposition is true. Disadvantages are not considered. But it's still a poor question if it results in people answering "no" because they don't like one party states, or "yes" because they are literal minded like me.
Mark,

It uses statements, like in psychometric tests or Myers Briggs stuff, to elicit a response. If you try and analyse them it doesn't work.

Perhaps you're right, but its still annoying.

I don't know enough to know whether or not its effective or it simply introduces bias.
I can't answer a question without analysing it. It's not word association.
Agreed. I pride myself on answering such things honestly and objectively. To do that one has to thoroughly ubderstand the question.
>> Agreed. I pride myself on answering such things honestly and objectively. To do that one
>> has to thoroughly understand the question.

I took exactly that point around 15yrs ago arguing against psychometric testing re posts I was seeking under a redeployment process.

Being labelled a rebel isn't necessarily a good place to be.

>> Being labelled a rebel isn't necessarily a good place to be.

And yet that's been my label for my entire working life. School as well in fact.
Economic Left/Right: -0.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31

Puts me in the green quadrant, where apparently only the Green Party or the SDLP is a suitable candidate for my election vote. I have no intention of moving to NI, so looks like i'll have to vote Green.

My certificate has me as a red boil on Nelson Mandellas chin
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - NortonES2
I seem to be aligned with Piotr Kropotkin, author of that well-known work "The Conquest of Bread". AC might know of it - I cannot claim that distinction....
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Armel Coussine
25, right of centre. Practically a nazi by forum standards it seems.

Questions and answers all crap as usual. At least I'm not a mawkish workerist lefty. But if the thing were better designed I would have come out a bit left of centre.
Your answers place you on the left of the political centre in comparison with the overall population in 2014.
You scored 9 out of 25

A score of 5 is the furthest left and 25 is the furthest right. Your answers would place you a long way from the political centre in any year but you would have been closest to the centre of political opinion in 1995 and 1996.

It's very sad that only 40% of people (the agree/strongly agree) recognise the self evident truth that government's job is largely redistribution.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Dutchie
Of course it is Manatee redistribution.To much right fascist,to much left communist.

>> It's very sad that only 40% of people (the agree/strongly agree) recognise the self evident
>> truth that government's job is largely redistribution.

Indeed, as it appears I am right leaning I guess i agree, its the job of the rich to fleece the poor. Or redistribution as you lefties would call it.
>> i agree, its the job of the rich to fleece the poor. Or redistribution as you lefties would call it.

Excellent. Tee hee...
>>It's very sad that only 40% of people (the agree/strongly agree) recognise the self
>>evident truth that government's job is largely redistribution.

What percentage of people do you think actually understand anything about the implications of what the politicians say and/or do? Or economics or anything else? Look a the Sun and the Daily Mail - that's what people want to understand.

I tend to think that whilst 40% is a sad figure, its better than I would have guessed.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - WillDeBeest
And I scored 21 - which sounds like Thatcher-Gove lovechild territory - at the first attempt, despite picking what seemed like mostly left-leaning answers. Then I tried again, changed two I'd been borderline on before - and scored 14.

So take your pick. The whiff of ball-locks is strong in my nostrils.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - bathtub tom
26 out of 25.

Guess that puts me somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan?

;>)
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Guess that puts me somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan?
>>

On what basis do you think GK was right wing?
I should have thought he led a society in which wealth was pretty evenly distributed, and all his warriors had an equal right to seize economic advantage where they could?
There was high social mobility, and quite humble soldiers managed to rise to the ranks of establishing subsidiary khandates.

Of course I don't know where he stood on human rights, but he was quite keen on entering Europe.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Dog
Your answers place you slightly to the right of the political centre in comparison with the rest of the population in 2014.

You scored 15 out of 25
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Ted
I got 7.............no comment !
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Ambo
15. About right.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Robin O'Reliant
I answered "Neither agree or disagree" to every single question and scored 15, which put me slightly to the right of centre.

Who thinks this rubbish up?
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - John Boy
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Kevin
>Who thinks this rubbish up?

The BBC?
The missus:

Your answers place you on the left of the political centre in comparison with the overall population in 2014.

You scored 8 out of 25
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - BobbyG
12 Center of politics.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Alastairw
16 centre of the centre. Woolly minded liberal in reality.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - MD
I sent the link to a friend with a thinking head:

"Loaded questions? For instance:- it isn't about redistributing wealth per se, but about working toward a more equitable society with true equal opportunities.
Meritocracy? My *rs* !"
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Ambo
>>I answered "Neither agree or disagree" to every single question and scored 15, which put me slightly to the right of centre.

The Scientology movement is good at rubbish questionnaires. One undercover reporter said he wanted to join and had to fill in a long questionnaire. He selected the centre of 5 points per question in each case. There came back a very detailed analysis of his personality etc.

It is however very hard indeed to design a good questionnaire and invariably two or more pilot trials are needed to decide on the final form.
Pot Quiz: www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3XTIYh6WAk
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Stuu
Economic Left/Right: 1.0

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

Dont know how that fits in with expectations for a Kipper.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Roger.
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.74
Psychometric questionnaires are utterly useless. I know because I was compelled to design and use them in the sixties in market research. Some questionnaires are better than others, but none will give a reliable measure of character or personality or even preferences. Open-ended, unstructured interviews by a 'psychologist' or simply an intelligent person will usually be better.

It's a long time ago now but I still remember how dreary it was having to pretend to make sense of that meaningless confused faff. God it was depressing.

>> Psychometric questionnaires are utterly useless.

I'd forgotten that the results of respondents' 'answers' to multiple-choice questions, with none of the choices really fitting, went through a number-crunching process that spewed out 'indices' or 'ratings' that meant sod all.

No offence to them, but the posts above from Stu and the Rastaman are cases in point. No one sane or rational can make sense of such crap. They can simulate making sense of it, which is what I was obliged to do. It isn't just gruelling and boring and essentially malign, it's actually quite difficult. Waste of talent and effort and time.
Well Its vastly different to that other kipper below you, who its seems make Oswald Moseley seem an enlightened libertarian.

>> Well Its vastly different to that other kipper below you, who its seems make Oswald
>> Moseley seem an enlightened libertarian.
>>
>>
>>

Only if I told the truth!
Actually you seem to be a bit to the left of Cameron, if a trifle more authoritarian.
I would say that most Kippers I have met and/or interacted with, are left of Cameron.
I'm rather more left than I was in my thirties.
I guess authoritarianism is a product of my current age, schooling and upbringing as a Service brat
The questions in the poll are, of course subjective in their wording, being pretty loaded so that certain responses were seemingly "right-on" & inherently good.
If we ever do get an E.U. referendum and Mr Cameron has too much to do with the wording, I fully expect the questions to be phrased so that a "Yes" vote is similarly loaded to produce a "Right-on, Good Thing " stay-in, vote.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 21 Mar 15 at 21:21
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> If we ever do get an E.U. referendum and Mr Cameron has too much to
>> do with the wording, I fully expect the questions to be phrased so that a
>> "Yes" vote is similarly loaded to produce a "Right-on, Good Thing " stay-in, vote.
>>
Cameron has no intention of ever leaving the EU. He'll negotiate a few minor advantages then go to the electorate saying we've got what we wanted, now here are all these reasons it would be mad to leave.

And whatever the polls might say from time to time, the public will vote overwhelmingly to stay in because we aren't doing too badly after all and few people will be willing to gamble on the uncertainty of an exit.

UKIP are as short lived an entity as the National Front were back in the seventies, nothing to attract any voters other than on one solitary issue.
>> Cameron has no intention of ever leaving the EU. He'll negotiate a few minor advantages
>> then go to the electorate saying we've got what we wanted, now here are all
>> these reasons it would be mad to leave.

He has, as I put it several volumes back, taken a leaf from the book of Harold Wilson who pulled exactly the same stunt in 1974/5.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 22 Mar 15 at 10:55
Forget about any referendum under Labour or Conservative's.

That ship sailed years ago.
>> Forget about any referendum under Labour or Conservative's.

>> That ship sailed years ago.

Let's hope so. Last thing the country needs is a damn referendum on anything. Even if the powers that be ignore the perverse results, it still encourages the hoi polloi to think they understand something. Cameron's asking for trouble by promising one.

The governed get to vote every few years. The governors govern the rest of the time, thank goodness.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Cliff Pope

>>
Last thing the country needs is a damn referendum on anything.

>> The governed get to vote every few years. The governors govern the rest of the
>> time, thank goodness.
>>

There is a dangerous myth growing that "democracy" means doing what the supposed majority wants at any instant, and that any system of government that fails to deliver that is therefore undemocratic.

There is also the increasing notion that democracy means every single person, cat and dog must have the vote. We were allegedly undemocratic before women got the vote, before 18 year olds got the vote, and now the argument is that 16 year olds have a right too. And criminals and lunatics, of course.
Animals will soon have rights on a level with humans, and then they will deserve a vote too.

Then we'll be perfectly democratic, and completely ungovernable.
>> Animals will soon have rights on a level with humans, and then they will deserve
>> a vote too.

My dog is much more fair minded, and makes much better value judgements than many humans.
Like humans tho, she will always vote for the party that promises her a bigger slice of the cake.

We are all animals when it comes to voting time - WIFM "whats init for me"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 08:54
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - CGNorwich
Cats wouldn't bother to vote in tis country. They know its a waste of time and anyway they are already in control, do what they like, have free board lodging and medical care and go out every night.
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Mapmaker
Well, I scored 21/25 on the BBC's.

On Brompton's, I managed to be 2.38 to the right, and -0.46 Libertarian. I think I'm much further to the right than that, and far more libertarian. Shows what rubbish tests where the questions don't mean anything are.

Still no idea what the relevance of this question is supposed to be:

"Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all." Nor the question as to whether you believe in astrology - or indeed religion. What have religious beliefs to do with your left-right analysis, or with your libertarian-authoritarian balance?

Returning to Mark's questions, how on earth can you make a sensible conclusion about somebody when they cannot understand the questions, I don't know.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 10:34
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - CGNorwich
"What have religious beliefs to do with your left-right analysis, or with your libertarian-authoritarian balance?"

Quite a lot I would think. Those who tend to be comforted by the belief that their destiny is in the hands of an all powerful god are perhaps more inclined to favour an authoritarian style of governement
 Where do you fit in the political spectrum? - Mapmaker
>> "What have religious beliefs to do with your left-right analysis, or with your libertarian-authoritarian balance?"
>>
>> Quite a lot I would think. Those who tend to be comforted by the belief
>> that their destiny is in the hands of an all powerful god are perhaps more
>> inclined to favour an authoritarian style of governement

Of course your religious beliefs may affect the result. But how does the fact that the computer knows your religious beliefs (or otherwise) affect the end result. The suggestion is that two identical people answering the questions identically, but choosing "religious" or "non-religious" will have a different result. Why?
Latest Forum Posts