Non-motoring > Richard the third Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 19

Richard the third - bathtub tom
Apart from the fact I thought it was cockney rhyming slang.

Why would anyone queue for hours to see a wooden box?
 Richard the third - CGNorwich
To be part of a historic event?
 Richard the third - Zero
>> To be part of a historic event?

I'm sure history wont record your presence there.
 Richard the third - Runfer D'Hills
People do things for fairly inexplicable reasons.

Hard to believe I know but some of them, no really, they do honestly, go to really quite a lot of trouble and expense to watch some extremely highly paid men kicking a ball.

Others, and I know you'll think this is made up, will go to similar lengths to watch groups of equally highly paid teenagers singing quite badly.

Queuing up to look at a box might seem quite sensible by comparison although none of the above especially appeals to me.
 Richard the third - Zero

>> Hard to believe I know but some of them, no really, they do honestly, go
>> to really quite a lot of trouble and expense to watch some extremely highly paid
>> men kicking a ball.

Equally hard to believe, some men try and make out they are perennially youthful
and make fools of themselves falling down mountains on their bikes.

Takes all sorts I guess.
 Richard the third - legacylad
And some old blokes pay good money to slide down mountains on planks. Fresh air & lovely scenery most days. But even so, my legs still ache 48 hours after it stopped. Bonkers pastime.
 Richard the third - Armel Coussine
We're an odd lot. There's something very silly and trivial about re-interring a mediaeval monarch with full honours, or nearly. But there's something rather sweet about it too. Having people in armour in the procession was dead naff, goddam TV Scheisse for the hoi polloi.

History being the way it is, it's hard to make out whether Richard was an enlightened monarch grossly slandered by Shakespeare or an absolute murdering carphound. Both probably. Of course there never was a monarch with clean hands, until they went constitutional last year or so.

There was a very good main cartoon in the comic today. I particularly liked the inset of Cameron's and Clegg's skeletons in a double coffin. Tee hee!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 19:21
 Richard the third - Stuu
I suppose I should take more interest as a Plantagnet descendant but the only bit that did interest me was that documentary exploring who might have killed Edward V. Now that was interesting although still not entirely sure what happened.
 Richard the third - Armel Coussine
>> Now that was interesting although still not entirely sure what happened

, history being the way it is. Heh heh...
 Richard the third - henry k
Officially
"Richard III usurped the throne from the young Edward V, who disappeared with his younger brother while under their ambitious uncle's supposed protection. "

I understand this is why the event is being boycotted by certain very high ranked folks.
 Richard the third - Dave_
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/richard-iii-a-great-guy-apart-from-killing-those-kids-2015032396561
 Richard the third - Haywain
Speaking as a born & bred Chisit, I thought it was all an embarrassingly awful pantomime. Dunno why, but people who like to dress up in period military costume always make me feel slightly uncomfortable.
 Richard the third - Cliff Pope
>> people who like to dress up in period military costume always
>> make me feel slightly uncomfortable.
>>

Also non-military people who restore military vehicles complete with genuine shovels etc, and drive them around wearing camouflage kit.

But I thought the RIII funeral was quite proper, apart from the panto element.
Of course there is a certain amount of doubt as to his identity. The carbon dating was wrong, and had to be seasonally adjusted to fit the required facts.

He seems not a bad monarch by the standards of the time. As with more recent events, re-trying or pardonning people from an earlier age when laws and customs were different is a pointless, and endless, exercise.
 Richard the third - CGNorwich
"Also non-military people who restore military vehicles complete with genuine shovels etc, and drive them around wearing camouflage kit."

Is that really any different to people who restore classic cars or railway engines? A harmless eccentricity surely.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 09:25
 Richard the third - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Is that really any different to people who restore classic cars or railway engines? A
>> harmless eccentricity surely.
>>

Guilty, of course.
Not really different I suppose, just makes me a bit uncomfortable.
"Guilty, of course."

When you're taking one of your restored vehicles out for a run, Cliff, what do you dress up as? I feel we ought to know ;-)
 Richard the third - TheManWithNoName
I can understand people wanting to be part of this historic event even if it is about 600 years too late ( I don't suppose he had much of a funeral the first time round).
I've been fascinated by the events from a purely historical/scientific/human interest perspective. What I don't get is the Richard III fan club who have meetings about him.
What do they hope to achieve? And I wonder how they'd feel if it was proven that their hero murdered his nephews.

I'm surprised the government of the day hasn't offered its apologies or opened a public enquiry.
"I'm surprised the government of the day hasn't offered its apologies or opened a public enquiry."

This, of course, will open the flood gates and more will come forward to claim that they too have been murdered - with associated demands for compensation.
 Richard the third - TheManWithNoName
I reckon the two princes can be added to Jimmy Savile's tally.
 Richard the third - Zero
>> "I'm surprised the government of the day hasn't offered its apologies or opened a public
>> enquiry."
>>
>> This, of course, will open the flood gates and more will come forward to claim
>> that they too have been murdered - with associated demands for compensation.

I'm surprised the police haven't added him to operation yew tree, and he has been charged by the DPP who claimed they had a very good prospect of conviction.
Latest Forum Posts