Non-motoring > I've been on a ferry doing this. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 20

I've been on a ferry doing this. - No FM2R
I know, not funny. And yet....................

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvT-PGhiKI
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Zero
Who on earth was the pillock who thought it would be a good idea to stand between the piano and the wall?
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - No FM2R
Oh, do you think he was a pillock? I was going to ask him if he'd be my friend and then show him my new little computer.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 15:00
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Zero
Actually he is probably your best bet.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - WillDeBeest
Is it a piano? I'd have said it was a crockery cabinet. Not quite so heavy but still not a thing to get stuck behind.

I've been on a hovercraft doing that, although at least I had a seat to hang on to - and try not to heave on.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Armel Coussine
It's a big dining room, but may not have been that big a ship. Perhaps it was crossing the wake of a big old-fashioned supertanker thing.

Back in the day before stabilizers, when ships really did roll, I was puzzled at first by the rims round all the tables to stop plates and so on from falling off. What I seem to remember is that the plate might be stopped OK, but the soup in it would still pour over the edge into your lap.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Roger.
That was a fiddle!
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Bromptonaut
Like Z I've been on a hovercraft with a similar degree of roll. Worst crossing was on Scotland's other longish distance route - Oban to Castlebay. Should be five hours but took more like seven. Nothing to see but pitching wave flecked sea and matching grey sky.

Nothing on board moved but probably only because it was screwed to floor.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Haywain
My son has crossed the Greenland Sea in a 100 year-old schooner in storm force 9 conditions - that's him at the helm singing (badly) Money for Nothing' in this short clip. He is rather more adventurous than I am. youtu.be/l7Zu23v8Y5Y
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Pat
He'll do for me! Anyone who can sing Money for Nothing in those conditions get my admiration.

That's what I call living life to the full.

Pat
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - R.P.
Cut my ferry teeth on the Isle of Man Steam Packet - remember a crossing like that.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Westpig
My father, being a merchant navy Captain, skippered his mate's Nauticat 33 and took both our families over to France when we were kids, we went to various ports and up the Seine, fantastic holiday.

tinyurl.com/oq2dp7l

We had to leave early though as a storm was brewing in the Channel and we needed to get back.

There was a discussion as to whether we should wait for the storm to pass first, but the old man was happy that the boat was a sturdy thing and built for it... so off we went.

It blew up like a good 'un.

So good that the cooker came off its mounting in the galley and him and I were the only two people out of 9 of us that were able to eat a bacon sarnie half way across.

I was possibly too young and foolish to get frightened, I thought it was fantastic.

The autopilot earnt its money though.
I like being on a cruise....6 meals a day....3 down, 3 up....! Seriously never been ill on a ship/boat
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Haywain
"Cut my ferry teeth on the Isle of Man Steam Packet "

It was a trip on the IoM ferry that convinced me that 'Stugeron' was the finest thing out for preventing sea-sickness. Three of us were going across for the day for the 1974 senior TT and when we called for the third chap, I announced that I'd got the travel-sickness tablets.

"Oh", his mother cried, "my son's been all over the world - he's been to Egypt (blah, blah etc) - 'e don't need travel sickness tablets." So, just two of us took our tablets exactly as per label recommendation.

The ferry was up and down and all over the place; the vomit was rolling in tides around the floor and every rail that you chanced to steady yourself on, was sticky and smelly. I reckon that my mate & I who had taken the tablets were about the only folks on the ship who weren't throwing up.

We arrived on the IoM and our third friend was still green and feeling awful - and that's how he stayed all day - it ruined his trip to the TTs. He was just starting to recover by early evening in time for the trip back - by which time, the sea was as calm as a mill-pond!

I'm not at all prone to sea-sickness, but I always have Stugeron with me when I go on the sea on a bigger boat than my mate's powerboat and there's a chance that I will lose sight of the horizon.
That brings back some memories ! I did a Mini-Cruise to Gothenburg many years ago. It was so bad on the way back that even the crew were honking up. There was a dreadful mess in the duty free and they undercharged me by about £50.00 for my purchases ! Brilliant trip.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Runfer D'Hills
Stranraer to Belfast can be bumpy. Doesn't seem to bother me, fortunately. I can remember sitting on a swivel chair on the ferry eating fish and chips. It became quite a sport trying to stab a chip mid-arc.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Duncan
>> He'll do for me! Anyone who can sing Money for Nothing in those conditions get
>> my admiration.
>>
>> That's what I call living life to the full.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Where have you been Pat?

I have been so worried about you.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - legacylad
Likewise IOM ferries for me. Used to sail out of Heysham to watch the Manx Rally, held every September, for several years. Also in my late teens/ early 20s I used to sail with North Sea Ferries Hull/Rotterdam at least once a month for about three years, and experienced some rough crossings ( I was involved in a long distance relationship with a cute blond Dutch girl studying at Leiden Uni).
Never got seasick though...must have been in the genes because my father loved rough seas! He survived several Artctic convoys to Murmansk & Archangel before going on to the Atlantic convoys. As a youngster I well remember family trips with NSF to Holland. He could always talk himself onto the ships bridge, and would spend the night up there whilst myself, mother & brother were tucked up below decks.
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Ted

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6v2jRqjHzg
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - legacylad
No, my Dutch gf didn't look anything like her
 I've been on a ferry doing this. - Mapmaker
>> I know, not funny. And yet....................

What sort of a nutter designs a ship with loose furniture when it can encounter seas like that?
Latest Forum Posts