Non-motoring > New SIM Only Contract Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 23

New SIM Only Contract - Duncan
My Contract with O2 will finish soon and I am looking around for its replacement.

I will keep my existing phone - iPhone 5 - so I just need a SIM contract. I use about 200 minutes, 100 mb and 200 texts a month.

I quite fancy staying with an O2 based company, these contracts below looked ok. I am at the moment on a cashback contract. I am happy to enter into another cashback contract, but it will have to be automatic, as I am fed up with having to remember to apply each month.

shop.tescomobile.com/pay-monthly/sim-only/Tesco+Mobile/iPhone+Nano+SIM/tariff

giffgaff.com/goodybags/7.5pound-goodybag

www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 11:12
 New SIM Only Contract - Fursty Ferret
Move to Three? (Technically O2 based now I suppose...)

I get decent signal everywhere, free 0800 calls, free Three to Three calls, unlimited data, Feel At Home, unlimited texts and 200 minutes for £15/month.
 New SIM Only Contract - Mapmaker
>>Move to Three?

I'm told it's somewhat rubbish abroad as they don't have many partner networks (albeit that it is free); but this may be incorrect?
 New SIM Only Contract - Stuartli
GiffGaff is owned by O2 but is PAYG and autonomous.

I have the £12 monthly 4G Goodybag which provides 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data (there are so many wi-fi hot spots from O2 and The Cloud alone that I don't need any more data).

0800 calls are free as are those to other GiffGaff subscribers. You can configure your account on-line to renew the Goodybag automatically.

I think it's first class value, but then I'm biassed as Zero might well point out...:-)
 New SIM Only Contract - Fursty Ferret
>> >>Move to Three?
>>
>> I'm told it's somewhat rubbish abroad as they don't have many partner networks (albeit that
>> it is free); but this may be incorrect?
>>

Incorrect. Not yet found a country where they don't have a roaming agreement, and being able to use unlimited data / voice / texts in the USA / France / Italy / Switzerland etc is a breath of fresh air.
 New SIM Only Contract - VxFan
>> Move to Three?
>> I get decent signal everywhere,

Non existant signal at home. Good signal at work. So it's not the same for everyone. I wouldn't say the O2 signal is all that brilliant either. In fact all of the main networks are hit and miss around these 'ere parts.

>> (Technically O2 based now I suppose...)

Now under the Hutchison Whampoa umbrella.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32043874

New SIM Only Contract - movilogo
Tesco and Virgin are offering good SIM only deals lately.
>> Tesco and Virgin are offering good SIM only deals lately.

I linked to Tesco in my original post. Tesco do what I want for £7.50 pm.

Giff Gaff (what a silly name) do what I want for £7.70 pm.

O2 charge £10.

Most providers seem to provide calls between their subscribers free of charge.
 New SIM Only Contract - Zero

>> Most providers seem to provide calls between their subscribers free of charge.

For what its worth I am happy with Tesco so far
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 19:30
 New SIM Only Contract - BobbyG
As noted on another thread I am looking into getting a new phone or go SIM only.
Since I have noticed today that my phone looks slightly concave down one edge I reckon I will be getting a new phone...

However of all the comparisons and checks of deals, it would appear that EE are the cheapest for contract and phones and in almost every scenario I have looked at, O2 are the dearest.

The benchmark SIM Only seems to be the £15 Virgin deal.
 New SIM Only Contract - VxFan
>> For what its worth I am happy with Tesco so far

Same here. Been with them since Feb 2011. Prior to that I was with O2 for a number of years (ok, some of that was before they bought out BT Mobile).

Although it's the same network that's being used, I've not had any reason to phone Tesco Mobile to complain about any aspect of their service - unlike O2 who gave me frequent cause to regularly complain to them for things like incorrect billing, etc.
 New SIM Only Contract - Falkirk Bairn
New BT Deal

From £5 / mth if you have BT Broadband

The cheapest offer is for 500mb of 4G data, unlimited texts and 200 minutes for £5 a month for those who take BT broadband, £10 a month for those who do not.
 New SIM Only Contract - MD
We've been with Orange now EE for fifteen years. Most on contract and now 2nd year in to sim only. At renewal in November they can stick it right up their Conga. Bunch of idiots are EE.
 New SIM Only Contract - rtj70
>> The benchmark SIM Only seems to be the £15 Virgin deal.

If you can live without 4G (it's not available to Virgin customers yet), then Virgin's unlimited voice, text and data is a good deal. And it is EE that provide the network since Virgin is a virtual mobile operator.
 New SIM Only Contract - BobbyG
ah - didn't realise Virgin wasn't 4G, I assumed everyone was now!
Well they weren't until fairly recently. Step-son has a Virgin £15 SIM and it wasn't 4G enabled. He's not bothered. At least unlimited data is still unlimited.
www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g-coverage-network-summary/

Could all change when BT own EE.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 22:03
 New SIM Only Contract - mikeyb
>> We've been with Orange now EE for fifteen years. Most on contract and now 2nd
>> year in to sim only. At renewal in November they can stick it right up
>> their Conga. Bunch of idiots are EE.
>>

Agree, that's why I ditched them last year
 New SIM Only Contract - Focusless
>> I linked to Tesco in my original post. Tesco do what I want for £7.50
>> pm.
>>
>> Giff Gaff (what a silly name) do what I want for £7.70 pm.

£7 with Talkmobile, with £15.75 cashback through Carphone Warehouse/Topcashback. However worth checking differences between costs of non-inclusive calls.

sales.talkmobile.co.uk/tariffs/sim-only#product_basecode:TKMMICRSIM

(I'm paying £7.50 (with £40 cashback), but have upgraded to a half-decent Samsung S3 Mini from my somewhat decrepit HTC Desire C. Thoroughly recommended as a cheap contract phone if you want to avoid up-front costs.)
>> £7 with Talkmobile, with £15.75 cashback through Carphone Warehouse/Topcashback. However worth checking differences between costs
>> of non-inclusive calls.
>>
>> sales.talkmobile.co.uk/tariffs/sim-only#product_basecode:TKMMICRSIM

I have been with Talkmobile in the past and I was not happy with them. Although I had paid everything that was owed, they wouldn't let me go. A number of very silly arguments ensued.

I am coming toward the end of a 2 year pay monthly contract and I have decided to keep the phone.

I have more or less, decided to stay under the O2 umbrella. I really just need to decide which actual supplier i.e. O2, Tesco, or Giff Gaff.

Tesco and Giff Gaff do what I need for £7.50 pm.

I have used Tesco Lite PAYG for several years for Lady Duncan's phone and a couple of spare phones that I have for back up. The credit is not lost if you don't use the phone for some time.

New SIM Only Contract - hjd
Carphone Warehouse often do O2 deals cheaper.
www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/sim-finder
 New SIM Only Contract - mikeyb
Ive been really happy with three so far.

Tenner a month for 2gb, 200 mins and unlimited texts, but the best bit is the included roaming. I end up in France most months and it works fine. Off to Geneva next week and just seen that Switzerland is included so saving me quite a bit
 New SIM Only Contract - Robbie34
I have a SIM only with Virgin Media. I pay £16.50 per month and get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data. It's ideal when I'm away in my caravan as I can use my 'phone to tether my laptop.
 New SIM Only Contract - Steve
I'm still on the Hutchinson 'Rabbit' network. Don't get any calls, and never make any - but it's free.
Latest Forum Posts