Non-motoring > BBC News website revamp. Horrible? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 30

BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - VxFan

I hate it. Bring back the old one. Nuff said.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31966686
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - Dog
Same with the new (ish) layout of their iplayer - my 105 year old dog could have dun better!!
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - CGNorwich
What's the problem? Seems ok to me. Nice and clear and easy to use.
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - No FM2R
Having just had a quick look, the .co.uk website is a lot more attractive and seemingly more useful than the .com website foreign lands get stuck with.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 14:18
I fear a new design BBC website and a change in the taste of baked beans happening all at once might just be too much fo some :-)
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - Zero
>> I fear a new design BBC website and a change in the taste of baked
>> beans happening all at once might just be too much fo some :-)

Gave up on the sanctity of both years ago.
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - Crankcase
Almost never look at the BBC website, choosing instead to jump to individual stories from a drop down on my browser bar.

So prompted, I looked, thought wow, what a lot of white space, it's all little bitty things floating in a void, then remembered my browser blocks 90% of junk, hopped into pure Internet Explorer to get the intended effect, and thought wow, what a lot of white space, it's all little bitty things floating in a void.

BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - VxFan
>> hopped into pure Internet Explorer to get the intended effect, and thought wow, what a lot
of white space, it's all little bitty things floating in a void.

Exactly. I guess the lack of colour is to cater for mobile devices such as mobiles and tablets, so pages load quicker and reduce data wastage.

They offered it as an alternative the other day, but I switched back to the old format straight away.

Why can't they offer 2 sites though? One that caters for PCs, and one that caters for mobiles. Even my local newspaper website has 2 alternatives, depending whether you're browsing via a PC or mobile.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 19:45
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - henry k
>>Why can't they offer 2 sites though? One that caters for PCs, and one that caters for mobiles.
>> Even my local newspaper website has 2 alternatives, depending whether you're browsing via a PC or mobile.
>>
I think they generally ignore feedback and suggestions.
I have asked several times if they will display sports results in a decent way.
Nowt happens. They display the results on the TV so that they are readable but not on their website. e.g. F! lap times. They do it for foolball but it should be the same for all other sports

I guess it is now not worth it for F1 as only two drivers times are relevant :-(
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - henry k
>>I have asked several times if they will display sports results in a decent way.
>>Nowt happens.
>> They display the results on the TV so that they are readable but not on their website. e.g. F! lap times.
>>

Wow at last it appears to have happened with F1
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/2015/malaysian-grand-prix/results/practice
Now get rid of the vast areas of white space.
They are on the learning curve.
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - WillDeBeest
Don't use it much but doesn't strike me as too bad. I wonder if the search function has improved; the old one would find stories from 1998 but not from yesterday.

But I use the iPlayer all the time and the new one is vastly better than the old. I know this partly because my PS3 has the new design and my BT Vision+ has the old one. I occasionally flip from watching a recording on the BT into using its iPlayer to save starting the other box, and when I do I'm reminded how much better and faster the new design is.
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - John Boy
>> But I use the iPlayer all the time and the new one is vastly better than the old.

iPlayer is white text on a black background. That's very readable and easy on the eye.

The BBC News website is black text on a white background. The overall effect is dazzling and is counter to the normal rules of information graphics. It's no accident that most road signs, particularly large ones, have light coloured text on a dark background.
>> It's no accident that
>> most road signs, particularly large ones, have light coloured text on a dark background.

I think you will find that to prevent accidents, most UK roads signs are black on a white background......
>> It's no accident that most road signs, particularly large ones, have light coloured text on a dark background.

Actually I rather think that most are the other way around. Perhaps only motorway and a few other blue signs have light on dark?
I wondered how long it would be before someone contradicted me.
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - Bromptonaut
>> I wondered how long it would be before someone contradicted me.

It's largely a matter of preference which is why some sites allow user to set 'preferences' as do operating systems like Windows.
>> I wondered how long it would be before someone contradicted me.

That should be, "corrected" you.
I'm beginning to realise why topics on here go on and on and on ...
Because so many people need correcting?
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - neiltoo
Nurse, they're out of their beds again!

8o0
S' not my fault. Everytime I look at the internet, somebody is wrong.
You cant' just make an assertion like stating black text on a white background "is counter to the normal rules of information graphics." and not expect it to be queried.

Surely black text on a white back ground what we have been using for centuries in the paper world and is most people find find it acceptable. The text as I type here is black on a white background. Can you explain "the normal rules of information graphics"?
>> I'm beginning to realise why topics on here go on and on and on ...

If they didn't, there would be no text, black on white or white on black!
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - crocks
Most of what I read here is black on blue.

You'll be telling me it's really gold on white next!
Last edited by: crocks on Fri 27 Mar 15 at 14:51
>> I'm beginning to realise why topics on here go on and on and on ...

Never mind JB,I think the new BBC news site looks rubbish too. Too much white space, it all looks too sparse and devoid of content.
"Too much white space, it all looks too sparse and devoid of content."

Perhaps the BBC website designers should have a word with Ling for a few design tips.

www.lingscars.com

>> Ling for a few design
>> tips.

Nearest thing to a legal hallucinogenic.
Light on dark background : to be read easily

www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-directionsigns.pdf?rev=1

www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-informationsigns.pdf?rev=3

Dark on a light background : not to be missed

www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-warningsigns-2.pdf?rev=1

www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-givingorderssigns-2.pdf?rev=1

>> Light on dark background : to be read easily

>> Dark on a light background : not to be missed

Both pages on white backgrounds. Why?
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - Bromptonaut
>> Light on dark background : to be read easily
>>
>> www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-directionsigns.pdf?rev=1
>>
>> www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-informationsigns.pdf?rev=3

The green and blue backgrounds in directional signs are connected to road type. Blue for M/ways, green for A roads. Similar signs at junctions of minor roads would be black on white - see how local destinations like Lisburn are represented.

There's a similar issue with bus lane and Parking signs - that bit may even be international.

>> Dark on a light background : not to be missed
>>
>> www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-warningsigns-2.pdf?rev=1
>>
>> www.nidirect.gov.uk/trafficsigns-givingorderssigns-2.pdf?rev=1

So same scheme for advice and orders? It's the shape of the sign, not the type/background that identify orders from warnings.

>>
>>
>>
 BBC News website revamp. Horrible? - MD
New BBC website = 'orrible. Too much white space. Now that's agreement. Not contradiction, I think.
Latest Forum Posts