Non-motoring > Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 14

Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - VxFan

Hopefully not. I see they're going to be merged with Kraft. That lot who spoilt the taste of Cadbury's chocolate.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32050266
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - No FM2R
The recipe has already been changed at least once, and I think twice, in the last 10 years.

These days when I have a choice, which isn't often, I prefer Branston.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Haywain
"These days when I have a choice, which isn't often, I prefer Branston."

Same here.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Bromptonaut
Aldi own brand are pretty tasty too.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - WillDeBeest
Check the sugar content on all of them. Heinz are 5 percent sugar by mass and the rest won't be much different. Perhaps Heinz would be doing you a favour by putting you off them.

Footnote: making lots of bean-based chillis and the like in my pressure cooker. 30 min start to finish, and the only sugar is what was there in the beans and tomatoes to begin with.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - R.P.
Oddly tea tonight was baked potato, beans and tuna. The bean of choice was Branston despite there being Heinz in the cupboard...lovely they were.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Zero
Branston Beans only here to. Used to be a Crosse & Blackwell house but they got discontinued.

The only Heinz product allowed int he house is the Ketchup.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 18:59
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Skip
Normally buy Branston, but picked up Heinz a couple of weeks ago instead as they were on offer, never again they were vile, tasteless & watery.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Runfer D'Hills
I used to like a baked bean. Gone off them a bit in recent years. I can just about cope with them on toast with a splash of Lea and Perrins but I'm more of a spaghetti hoop man these days. Or ravioli of course. If we're in the tinned section of life. Don't mind sardines either so long as they're in tomato sauce but not big on pilchards to be truthful. Odd I suppose.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - VxFan
I prefer Branston beans as well. Glad to see Tesco are now stocking them again, but I'll only buy them when they're on a ½ price offer. Presumably their spat with Princes food has been resolved.

btw, I only used beans in the title as I couldn't think of another snappy title to give it.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Runfer D'Hills
I used to like a Kraft cheese slice trapped between two digestive biscuits. My current wife refuses to buy them though ( the cheese slices that is )

She just doesn't get digestive sandwiches.

Women eh? Pah !
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - neiltoo
Did you buy the right ones?Heinz now do the regular ones, and low salt/sugar ones.
The latter don't taste of anything at all.

8o(
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Zero
>> Did you buy the right ones?Heinz now do the regular ones, and low salt/sugar ones.
>> The latter don't taste of anything at all.
>>
>> 8o(

Beans dont, haricot are utterly tasteless things, its only the sauce that gives them any flavour. Take the flavour (sugar, salt) out of the sauce and you are back to your basic tasteless Phaseolus vulgaris
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - henry k
>> The only Heinz product allowed int he house is the Ketchup.
>>
Heinz ketchup is banned in this house. SWMBO insists that Sainsburys Organic is the one for her.
Me ? I just buy it but never use it.
 Heinz, are they about to become "has beans"? - Roger.
Aldi tomato ketchup is pretty good, but their brown sauce (HP lookalike) is utterly vile and artificially gloopy.
Their baked beans are OK for, IIRC, 32p a can.
I find most commercial baked beans to be far too sweet: making one's own with fresh tomatoes (and bacon lardons fried up first) is the way to go, but a bit expensive. Tinned tomatoes make it cheaper, but not so piquant.
I have made tomato ketchup, but it takes a long time to reduce the mixture to a suitable consistency.
If you can find Spanish tomate frito (not passata) that, plus an equal quantity of full cream milk makes a really good and quickly prepared tomato soup - far better than Heinz version, I think.

(www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMATE-FRITO-350g-x-5-Orlando-Spain-UK-Stock-/271807439081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f48fc60e9)

That's blooming expensive - but IS the right stuff!)
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 26 Mar 15 at 12:08
Latest Forum Posts