Non-motoring > Rats.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 12

Rats.... - MD
...No, not him. Sorry Sheik.

There is a shop and a 2 storey flat above and there is clearly a problem with rodents. Scratchy feet etc. They in the main are almost certainly Rats and not Meeses. There is a humongous smell issue and I equate that with carcasses although at times it smells like ooman sheeite. The drains, for the purposes of this exercise seem fine.

I have read on t'internet of using Peppermint Oil and/or mixed with Eucalyptus to send them scurrying. Also sonic noises to achieve the same purpose.

Do any of the panel have any experience of this issue.

Thanks.........MD
 Rats.... - Dog
I've had a problem with rats getting into my kitchen. The cottage is 225 years old with solid granite walls but they seem to get into the loft area and then down past the plasterboard, getting into the kitchen via a large hole they have gnawed. I can't easily get to the hole without removing the kitchen units!

I've tried all the superduper poisons to no avail but, what gets 'em is a large rat trap baited with Whole Earth organic peanut butter. It has to be organic, or they wont touch it :)

I had a horrendous smell in the kitchen last summer when a rat had obviously gorn nipples up in the loft somewhere, and flies!! don't talk to me about flies :(

I was thinking about getting one of those sonic devious devises but, Amazon hiked the price by £5 come the Spring, so I thought sod it.
 Rats.... - Old Navy
My farming pal uses a shotgun, they never get as far as the house. He trains on clay pigeons, the real ones don't come near him. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 1 Apr 15 at 08:32
 Rats.... - VxFan
>> My farming pal uses a shotgun

Someone at school lost an eye when he was a teenager. He was shooting rats on his dad's farm with an air rifle and one of the pellets ricochet'd off a bit of corregated iron straight into his eye.
 Rats.... - Bromptonaut
>> Someone at school lost an eye when he was a teenager. He was shooting rats
>> on his dad's farm with an air rifle and one of the pellets ricochet'd off
>> a bit of corregated iron straight into his eye.

The Council's pest controller who came to deal with our local Ratty last year told a very similar story.
 Rats.... - VxFan
His first name wasn't David I take it?
 Rats.... - Crankcase
>> His first name wasn't David I take it?

My brother in law was called David, and he had done exactly as you describe, losing an eye in the process.

I don't know when he lost it, but I'm guessing about 1970 or a bit earlier.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 1 Apr 15 at 11:58
 Rats.... - VxFan
>> I don't know when he lost it, but I'm guessing about 1970 or a bit earlier.

Nah, the David I knew lost his around the late 70's or even as late as 1980.

During his later teenage years, David's party piece was putting his glass eye into someone's pint when they weren't looking.
 Rats.... - smokie
You'd have thought people would keep an eye out for that old trick.
 Rats.... - VxFan
Groan ;)
 Rats.... - CGNorwich
The absolutely first thing you need to do if you have a rat problem is identify why they are attracted to the area and remove that attraction. Poor food and waste hygiene, badly stored food, seeds or grain are the usual problems although rats will eat pretty much anything remotely edible. You then need to discover where they are entering the premises and seal those routes. You can then look at setting traps or laying poison. In domestic infestations poison has the disadvantage that the creatures may well die in some inaccessible corner and decompose.

Rats.... - Ambo
Keep a cat.
 Rats.... - Dog
The brown rats I've caught have been almost as big as catz in some cases.
Latest Forum Posts