Non-motoring > This will please the Argies. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 19

This will please the Argies. - Old Navy
I believe I predicted this some years ago.

news.sky.com/story/1457488/drilling-finds-oil-and-gas-off-falklands
 This will please the Argies. - sooty123
Yeah I saw that. along way to go before they have any oil that they can start selling. Think there has been one or two false dawns, but we'll wait and see over the next few years how it pans out. Not sure it will please the Argie government?
It will become cost effective one day.
 This will please the Argies. - Bromptonaut
>> It will become cost effective one day.

When though?

Remote + Deep Water is costly.

Break even about same time renewables add up?
 This will please the Argies. - Zero
>> >> It will become cost effective one day.
>>
>> When though?

Not while its under 100 bucks a barrel, but it will rise above one day.
>> Remote + Deep Water is costly.

Point is, they now know where it is (not how much tho) and its not going anywhere.
 This will please the Argies. - Armel Coussine
>> Point is, they now know where it is (not how much tho)

Not exactly how much. But I seem to remember there's a lot of it. The oil industry's usual pathological discretion is doubled and redoubled in spades in those waters. Always thought it meant something, that sort of hunted evasive demeanour. Maybe not though.
>> >> It will become cost effective one day.
>>
>> When though?
>>
>> Remote + Deep Water is costly.
>>
>> Break even about same time renewables add up?
>>

Remote, yes. Deep water, no. The Falklands sit on a big continental shelf similar in depth to the North Sea. One of the reasons that the Belgrano was sunk was because it was becoming too shallow for HMS Conqueror to follow her underwater.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 2 Apr 15 at 20:52
 This will please the Argies. - No FM2R
This has been the argument for years, and its more important and more significant than just this oil strike.

Look at this; (the second picture).

www.discoveringantarctica.org.uk/alevel_4_0.html

As you can see the arguments are between Argentina & the UK and also between Chile & Argentina.

Thus Argentina wants a Southern Coast and as much control over the area as possible - This means the Picton, Lennox and Nueva islands from Chile (The Beagle Conflict) or the Falklands from the UK.

Chile helped the UK in the Falklands Conflict because it was imminently going to war against Argentina for just this reason.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 2 Apr 15 at 20:52
 This will please the Argies. - legacylad
Consider me an ignoramus in these matters, but will not fracking keep oil prices low for a good few years? Seems NAmerica has considerable reserves. And fracking will certainly improve conditions for those tw**s over the border in Lancashire.
 This will please the Argies. - sooty123
It might do it's a long term complex issue. The agreements in CH will have an impact in the medium term.
 This will please the Argies. - Ted

Don't forget, The British are building an airport on St Helena at Prosperous Bay Plain. The husband of a good friend of mine is involved with the project. Due to open Feb '16.

Good for tourism ? the only way now is the RMS St Helena..............Good as well as a staging post for troops/oilmen heading for the Falklands and for re-fuelling military aircraft ?

Another thing to worry the Argies ?
 This will please the Argies. - Dutchie
Argentina will play a part if there is oil to be taken out me thinks.

We haven't got a big enough fleet to start another battle.
>> Argentina will play a part if there is oil to be taken out me thinks.
>>
>> We haven't got a big enough fleet to start another battle.

fortunately, neither do they
>> Consider me an ignoramus in these matters, but will not fracking keep oil prices low
>> for a good few years? Seems NAmerica has considerable reserves.

fracking and its output is one of the reasons for the drop in the price of oil. Along with the Gulf, the USA is more or less self sufficient.
 This will please the Argies. - legacylad
That is just what I thought. I suppose it is asking too much, but if the USA is self sufficient they will leave the Middle East alone.
The Middle East is quite capable of destroying itself without the Wests help.
 This will please the Argies. - Dutchie
Leave the Middle East alone? Pigs will fly, country's with big army's like to go to war.
At a Catholic public school in the fifties I met a lot of boys from fascist countries. Some were quite genial, others far from it. One of the nastiest was a blond boy from Argentina, scrum half of th first fifteen, captain of the school and an absolute screaming brute born to be a fascist.

I can imagine him commanding a firing squad to eliminate cowardly conscripts in the Falklands. He'd have loved it unless he'd changed a lot since school... I've met a few nasty individuals in my time, but he's near the top of the list.

Odd really, because there are a lot of perfectly decent Anglo-Argentinians. I suppose his father had used a rawhide stockwhip on him, dozen stripes a day to concentrate his tiny evil little mind.
 This will please the Argies. - Runfer D'Hills
Take it you don't exchange Christmas cards with him then?
Got it did you Humph?

I was afraid I'd been too subtle. English understatement.
Latest Forum Posts