Non-motoring > Kenya Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 1

Kenya - Armel Coussine
is again the scene of a horrible mad massacre.

Much patronised as a tourist heaven, Kenya in reality has a complex, even convoluted, tribal and social tangle that can get outsiders into awful trouble in a trice. Most people are drunk and pugnacious in the capital by 9 pm.

I've been in much more allegedly dangerous places, but Nairobi on a weekend evening can make your blood run cold. Of all the places I've been, it's the only one where I have felt truly in fear for my life and had to do a humiliating runner. Entirely my own fault of course, being a loudmouth once too often.

There are a lot of levels. An important one is the decadent British tennis and polo carphounds. Bunch of goddam apes. Much too classy for me. Took one look at them and scarpered back to Kikuyu and Luo society where one could get a drink, even a smoke, and courteous treatment at least part of the time.

Kenya - Haywain
"I've been in much more allegedly dangerous places"

My son went to do a filming job in Ivory Coast a couple of years ago; his taxi carried 3 AK-47s on the back seat - one for him, one for the driver, and a spare in case one of them jammed. He hasn't been back there - can't say I blame him.
Latest Forum Posts