Non-motoring > Outdoor table tennis table Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 14

Outdoor table tennis table - WillDeBeest
I grew up playing table tennis on an indoor table (or dome as it became when the chipboard warped) in my parents' big garage. Our last three holiday lets in France have all had tables, indoors or out, and the Beestlings have made good use of them - not even minding the scorpions in last year's basement.

Our garage is too narrow for an indoor table, but Mrs Beest suggested yesterday we get an outdoor one for the level, sheltered back lawn, to give the Beestlings an alternative to pretending to kill people on their computers. We had a Cornilleau table in our 2012 garden, which worked well, although we didn't have to worry about moving and stowing it. That name seems to be available in the UK too, but are there any others I should consider?

Weight seems to vary - 40kg up to 95 - and bigger wheels ought to make it easier to move. I think I'd want levelling feet too; wouldn't want it to rock. John Lewis's range is disappointingly small, but Decathlon and (gulp) Sports Direct seem to have more. Any further thoughts?
 Outdoor table tennis table - Zero

>> give the Beestlings an
>> alternative to pretending to kill people on their computers.

While your thundering herd still have computers, they will still prefer killing homo sapiens. I bet the prospective table gets little use.
You may be right, Z, but the evidence of our holidays suggests there's hope you're not. With only a little prompting yesterday they got their bikes out, checked them over and took them out for a test run, so if we make the table an easy option - we can make it semi-permanent over the summer - I think they'll use it.
 Outdoor table tennis table - sherlock47
Depending on the age of the Beestlings ie do they wish to just play, or to play table tennis, I would say that outdoor table tennis is a dead loss in the UK if they are trying to play seriously. There is just too much wind. Better to spend your money on some indoor coaching at your local TT club. Most clubs run good junior sections for coaching and social play.

If no local TT club, some Lawn Tennis and Cricket Clubs also have TT facilities.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 14:57
 Outdoor table tennis table - Armel Coussine
If there's any air movement you've got to be pretty good to play table tennis out of doors. Anything resembling a breeze makes it impossible.

Ours is in a sort of shed, pillars on one side and my famous and beautiful bottle wall on the other. Trouble is though there isn't quite enough space around it, needs a foot or two more especially at the ends. Sort of the opposite to Monsieur Hulot's hilarious game of table tennis during his famous Holiday.
 Outdoor table tennis table - Focusless
Problem solved: www.rockstargames.com/tabletennis/

:)
 Outdoor table tennis table - sherlock47
Re clubs etc

tabletennisengland.co.uk/change4life/article/?item=40832

Go to the map at the bottom of the page to select your local area -

you will find something like this www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie=UTF8&msa=0&z=9&hl=en&mid=zCNHs0SnZtIw.kSJU6mgmtrR4

I cannot remember where you are based.

Some of the links for find a club from the postcode site on the ETTA site appear to be broken.

Working now tabletennisengland.co.uk/ postcode finder ok
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 7 Apr 15 at 19:36
Thanks Sherlock. A club might be the answer if they want to treat it as something more serious than a casual recreation that their friends can join in when they come over, but it would be another thing to drive them to (nothing in our town that isn't a school venue and so would be open in the holidays, and there's already cricket, judo and now kayaking that are harder to do at home.)

So we (and they) reckon the limitations of an outdoor table are worth living with. That Cornilleau table in 2012 had distinct upwind and downwind ends (you'll remember what a cool, blustery summer that was, even in southwest France) and we giggled our way through it. Given the potential problems, though, before we pay £400 for a new one, it might be worth looking for one on, say, the NotReading Parents classifieds site, in case someone else has tried the idea and found it wanting.
 Outdoor table tennis table - Runfer D'Hills
What about one of yon gazebo thingies with sides for windy days. Caravanists have them. Well, my brother in law does and he's one. They build things caravanists. Windbreaks, something called "pods" in their "awnings" too and gazebos with sides.

Looks like a lot of bother to me but they seem to think it's worth the effort.

Anyway, if you erected one over your table then quite possibly Robert would be your dad's brother.
 Outdoor table tennis table - CGNorwich
Gazebos don't like windy days. You would need a windbreak of some description to protect the gazebo. ;-)
Or...he could get a caravan to protect the gazebo from the wind. With an awning of course. Apparently you need an awning if you're going to be taken seriously.
I've had another idea.

A free standing pergola, with some vines of course. Put the table under it. Fit some curtains.

Sorted.

;-)
 Outdoor table tennis table - CGNorwich
I think you may be on to something with the horticultural approach. Leylandii hedge! A few year and it will be 12 feet tall.
I've already started drawing the pergola idea.

Another outdoor dining opportunity is evolving...

I'll pass on the curtains but I'm thinking a sort of thatched roof type thing, well, it is Cheshire...I'm sure I've got some wood.
 Outdoor table tennis table - Zero
>> I've already started drawing the pergola idea.
>>
>> Another outdoor dining opportunity is evolving...
>>
>> I'll pass on the curtains but I'm thinking a sort of thatched roof type thing,
>> well, it is Cheshire...I'm sure I've got some wood.

We, in Surrey, have of course beaten you to it. I constructed, some time ago, a dining pergola, with raised decking, and requisite grape vine roof. It has hooks at the side for curtains, and has ambient lighting if so required.

The whole effect has been ruined of late tho, because the area in front is that the dog has chosen as its pipican.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Apr 15 at 09:13
Latest Forum Posts