Non-motoring > Transgender Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 11

Transgender - Armel Coussine
An item on Sky news tonight about the very rare individuals who feel they have been born into the wrong bodies, with the wrong sex.

I know of a case from a shrink acquaintance involving a woman convinced she was really a man, who went to great lengths to make it so: having a penis made out of a chunk of thigh flesh and finding surgeons - in the Harley St area I think - to do the butchery.

The lady in question was black, American and 'very ill', meaning mad really I suppose. You'd need to be wouldn't you? De Sade would have loved it.
 Transgender - Focusless
The lady I sit next to at band, her husband of 30-odd years had his op last week. They're still living together, albeit mainly for financial reasons. Not an easy time for either of them, or their 4 sons.
 Transgender - Focusless
>> An item on Sky news tonight

Something similar on (IIRC) BBC London news too, except about kids - 6 and 8 year old girls, born boys. Obvious questions about whether they really know what they are at that age.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32037397
 Transgender - Zero
>> >> An item on Sky news tonight
>>
>> Something similar on (IIRC) BBC London news too, except about kids - 6 and 8
>> year old girls, born boys. Obvious questions about whether they really know what they are
>> at that age.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32037397

Wifey used to be a Nurse at GOSH in the late 70s and early 80s, and used to look after children born as hermaphrodites, that is both male and female sexual organs (externally anyway). Surgeons there used to make the choice, usually persuading the parents, which sex to choose for the child at a very young age. That died out and the choice was to leave them until puberty to see how the hormones played a part. Now it seems, with gender dysphoria, they are swinging back to a choice earlier in life. In truth I don't suppose there is a right time or a wrong time.
 Transgender - bathtub tom
>> >> An item on Sky news tonight
>>
>> Something similar on (IIRC) BBC London news too, except about kids - 6 and 8
>> year old girls, born boys. Obvious questions about whether they really know what they are
>> at that age.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32037397

I wonder how much influence the parent's lifestyle had on this story?
 Transgender - Cliff Pope
There must surely be a basic difference between a "real" feeling caused by hormones, and something that is in the mind?

Some people are truely convinced they are Napoleon, but I don't think the NHS will pay for any changes necessary in order to live out that feeling. They are simply, as AC says, labelled as mad.
 Transgender - CGNorwich
What is a real feeling?
 Transgender - Cliff Pope
>> What is a real feeling?
>>

For the purpose of making the distinction I was suggesting that a feeling over which you had little control, eg because of responses triggered by hormones, had both a simple explanation and an obvious means of control or change, if that is the aim.

Of course a feeling generated in the brain might seem or indeed be just as real, but its origin would be harder to pinpoint, and not amenable to simple surgery.
 Transgender - Mapmaker
I saw that article on the BBC and thought it was a load of rubbish.

Just because the child likes wearing dresses at 5 years old doesn't mean it's a girl.

The PC brigade have spent years persuading us that gender stereotyping is a bad thing when it prevents girls from becoming engineers. Which is fair enough. Yet when a boy puts a dress on, it's because he should be encouraged to be a girl... which seems to me to be gender stereotyping. And so does he use the girls' changing rooms when they go swimming? Does he wear a bikini on the beach?

Transgender - Fullchat
I remember seeing a documentary on this guy:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1176734/Sex-change-Army-hero-Jan-Scotlands-transgender-police-officer.html

Must say I was touched by the story and the deep psychological impact it was having on him as went through the journey from man to woman.

She is now a Police Officer which is probably as safe working environment as there gets from a tolerance side.

Transgender - No FM2R
Amazing how many things over which one has no control make life easier or harder.

I cannot imagine having to choose between what made me comfortable and what those around me would happily accept. Very, very tough thing to do, I should imagine.

One must assume that Miss Hamilton is possessed of an enormous amount of courage and determination. And one cannot imagine the pain of the dark moments - usually occurring on Sunday afternoons, in my experience.
 Transgender - No FM2R
>>She is now a Police Officer which is probably as safe working environment as there gets
>>from a tolerance side.

Well that's good to hear, but I assume applies to employers and colleagues.

I should think the reception from scroats can be truly obnoxious and close on intolerable.
Latest Forum Posts